Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2016 1:19:59 AM EDT
Looking for some winter tires, heard Blizzaks but damn they are $$$ pricey. Other recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Blizzaks.

How much or how little traction do you want?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
General altimax artics.

Typically between $80-$90 a tire for 16" wheels. They give fine performance all around in winter weather.

Check out Tirerack.com for a lot of winter tire testing and reviews.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Blizzzzzaks.
Used them on 2 winter trips to the ice country, awesome  on ice and blowing through snow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Blizzaks up here in Alaska, I can't really recommend anything else because nothing that I have tried comes close
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
General altimax artics.

Typically between $80-$90 a tire for 16" wheels. They give fine performance all around in winter weather.

View Quote

Best tire I've used, the rubber compound is perfect.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had outstanding results from both Bridgestone Blizzack and Michelin xIce. The edge goes to the Blizzacks.

Also had several sets of Dunlop Wintersport DS3. The wintersports give up some traction for better dry performance...not worth the tradeoff, I prefer the no compromise traction of the non sport winter tires.

20 years ago I had some Pirelli snows that did well for the time.

I had some hakaapellitta 1 snows abou 15 years ago and was not impressed, but apparently their current offerings have an great reputation, YMMV.

For my money, Blizzak (followed by xIce)
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#7]
My only experience is with blizzak dm2.

OP, what size tire, and what mind of budget are you working with?
Also, Arkansas?  Do you even need snow tires there?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Blizzaks.

Or get a set of MT tires and stud them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#10]
What are they going on? General altimax artics on my 1/2 ton  wheel Ram. Love em.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been fine in PA with all-season tires on all my vehicles for the last 25 years of driving. I would not even consider snow tires if the majority of driving was down south. Do they even sell them down there? Probably a special order tire in AR.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Nokian

The WRG3s for sporty all weather

Hakapeliittas or Nordmans for pure winter shit

Eta: missed price hesitancy, but, the Finns make good shit too
especially for Winter or maritime applications
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My only experience is with blizzak dm2.

OP, what size tire, and what mind of budget are you working with?
View Quote

The ice here is the problem, I have a Mercedes C350 rear wheel drive. Was thinking of buying 2 snow tires for the rear.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The ice here is the problem, I have a Mercedes C350 rear wheel drive. Was thinking of buying 2 snow tires for the rear.
View Quote

So only the drive wheels have traction.

Smart.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I know zero to little about driving on ice, so thats why I am asking for help? But I appreciate the sarcasm, I just took a dump and wiped but with a page out of the Quran I keep in there so I am feeling chirpy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do yourself a huge favor, and get all 4 tires.   Steering and stopping is nice too
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Hakapeliittas are awesome,Gislaved Nordfrosts are almost as good for less loot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#19]
from the sound of it, I may just need to splurge on a great set of all seasons and not snow tires for here in Arkansas?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Smart.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smart.

LOL
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
from the sound of it, I may just need to splurge on a great set of all seasons and not snow tires for here in Arkansas?
View Quote

Honestly? How much snow and ice do you get there? Do you have a job you have to get to, or can you say "fuck it", and just call in when the weather is shitty?
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem is snow tires get weird at higher temperatures. I had x ice 3 and they were great in dry and on ice but they felt weird if the temps got above 65f or so. A performance winter tire will be better for down south I would think. The x ice is the only full snow tire I would consider for where you live. Blizzaks will not last down south so avoid those.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have been fine in PA with all-season tires on all my vehicles for the last 25 years of driving. I would not even consider snow tires if the majority of driving was down south. Do they even sell them down there? Probably a special order tire in AR.
View Quote

You must live in a very different part of PA. I live on a ridge with a 150 yard up hill driveway that drifts badly most of the time.

All season tires will never cut it here in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
General altimax artics.

View Quote

This, but I buy at Walmart.com
Cheaper shipping and I cannot find a cheaper installer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do yourself a huge favor, and get all 4 tires.   Steering and stopping is nice too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely go all around.

Does your merc usually run on all seasons, or more performance oriented tires?
If the latter, then I can see the snow tire swap out (on separate wheels of course)

ETA: I'm sure you've already read on forums about what size snow tires for your car, since you have  diff sizes stock, and none of hem are winter sizes..  I did a quick check, and there are rebates available depending on brand, and where you buy them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I misread your location as AK not AR.
You probably don't need snow tires more than a couple times a year? I wouldn't bother,you'll just destroy them on dry pavement if you aren't willing to swap them out,just go with all seasons and drive with sense.  Considering the cost of a spare set of rims,tires and hassle...If I was somewhere that had occasional snow,I'd just rent a pickup for a couple days before storms
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Blizzaks on our Monte Carlo SS and Impala. I bought spare rims for both cars so I don't have to pay the 100.00 + per set for dismounting and mounting the tires every Spring and Fall. They go on the cars when it gets cold enough or it snows, come off when the temps hit the 50's regularly. They're on their 3rd season this year.

"All Season" tires aren't all season. They suck on snow and ice compared to a dedicated winter tire.

Wet or dry roads aren't that big of an issue for modern snow tires. Are roads wet all winter?  Nope. Does it snow every day? Nope. Temperature is the critical issue, swap them back to your summer (All Season) tires when the air temps warm up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Typically, the rubber material on dedicated snow tires is NOT warm weather-friendly.  I put mine on when the daily temps get reliably low, and snow is realistic possibility.  Take them off when snow's not at all likely, which is still fairly cool.
View Quote

Honestly, they don't do as bad as most people say in warmer weather.  I left a set of Bilzzak WS60 on my Mustang for a summer because the tread was down enough to not get another winter season out of them and I was too cheap to replace my summer tires which were below the wear bars.  I would say the handling was mush but I didn't tear up the tires or wear them excessively.

My preference is for the Blizzaks as the best compromise for my driving, here's how I'd rank the snow tires I've tried.

Blizzak WS60,70,&80: Not the best in any one area but good to great at everything, they are my go to for winter tires.
Michelin X-Ice2: Best handling of the bunch, also great on ice, and good in the rain, middle of the road in deep snow.
Dunlop Graspic DS-2: Great in deep snow, good on ice, handling sucks and they suck in the rain.
Firestone Winterfore: Great in deep snow and ice, not a ton of wet or dry grip but doesn't do anything scary.

If you're looking for a cheaper alternative I've heard the General Altimax are good, I haven't tried a set myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top