Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2001 9:09:25 PM EDT
I would like to install a winch on the front of my 4X4 pickup. Last winter was a bear of a winter and all of us got stuck at least two or three times in very rough weather. I would like to know if a winch on a 4X4 is a serious tool for getting vehicles out snow banks, ditches, etc? Who makes the best winch and who makes the worst? Do they mount permanently or after the season is over can it be removed easily from the truck? Should a dealer install it? Can it be done for a grand, if not, how much would it take to get the job done right?
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I know Warn makes a good winch, although I am sure that there are more than a few other brands out there. Depending on your 4x4, they mount on either your bumper or on a "bumper thumper". Ideally, you want it connected to the frame via a solid bumper. And also depending on how big your truck is, you may want to install a heavy duty alternator too. It will give your winch more uuumph. Winches work great when you are dug in or stuck in a rut. Accessories include tie straps to use on trees or stakes when there are no trees. A metal shovel, high lift jack and scrap boards are a necessity too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that are also mounts that attach to a reciever hitch.
Dont know about mounting the reciever on the front of the truck or not tho'

Brad
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't go wrong with either Warn or Ramsey. Had both.  You might also consider MileMarker which makes a hydraulic motor powered winch, that can run off the power steering pump.

Size depends on what kind of truck you have.  I wouldn't consider anything less than 8000 pounds.

Receiver mounts are good for light duty work.  DO NOT attempt to pull with one at an angle or do extreme work with one.  You can bend stuff.

You must have a good battery and good connections.  I use brass marine connections.  Amp draw at full load can reach 400 amps.  Have seen connections melt from the current.  Dual battery setup is something to consider, if you have the room.

The most important accessory to have with a winch is a snatch block.  You gain double capacity with half the line speed.  An 8000 pound winch will become 16,000 pound capacity.

Other accessories to consider are additional chains(make sure they are big enough!), extension cables, and a roller fairlead.  The roller will help keep an off angle pull from kinking your cable.  Take a look at www. RecoveryGear.com for an excellent selection of accessories.

Installation is not too difficult.  I would suggest using the manufacturers mounting kit for your truck instead of something homemade.  You will be placing tremendous strain on this, and breakage can cost $$$$$$...

One last point.  You will be working with steel cable(wire rope)under strain.  Snapped cable can kill or maim.  Pay close attention to what is happening as you use your winch.  Make bystanders stay back and be quiet.  Just one broken cable under load will help you understand why.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Warn. Ramsey Sucks.  [:D]

Get the largest you can, just like safes.  

Remember, that even though your winch might say 9,000 pounds,  you aren't really getting that much unless the wire is down to the last wrap.  

I have a Warn 9500 and here are the ratings

Pull by layer:
layer/Lbs(Kgs.)
1/9500(4313)
2/8650(3927)
3/7920(3595)
4/7400(3359)
5/6940(3150)

So, if you are only out a few feet, you are only pulling at about 7,000.   platform389, talked about a snatch block.  It doubles your pulling capacity and they are a great idea.  It just slows down the pull by half.

Always put a blanket over the wire when winching.  If it snaps, the blanket will stop the cable from coming back and going into your face.  There is some new type of cord used instead of wire, it costs a shitload but it supposedly works better than wire.

Best place to buy a winch is from Bob Suplee.
[email protected] or 405-799-8977

All the jeep guys buy them there and he is practically unbeatable.

As far as your other questions.  They weigh about 85 pounds so most people (probably all) leave them always on.  You can easily install it yourself,  it is only 2 wires.  Pos and Neg.  I don't know about truck winch mounts, but that will probably cost you a bit more.

PS.  Get the Winch Accessory pack.  It contains gloves, snatch block, d-ring, etc.  Worth the $.
Btw, there is now a cordless winch remote.  I think Ramsey makes it and it works with Warn Winches.  FYI...

PPS.  Winches sometimes get stolen.  See your insurance policy about having it covered.  You can also have someone weld a small bit on the installation bolts.  This will prevent someone coming by and unbolting your baby.

good luck.

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had a Warn 8000 for several years.
It has been a life saver more than once.
Be sure to get a snatch block and use it. That will double your pulling power.
Mine is permanently attached. Now I wish that it wasn't. I would like to be able to use it on one of the other three trucks we have.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I say go w/ warn. Other winch manuf. have equal products but warns customer service is legendary in the 4x4 community.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I am now able to ask some questions. I will check out the suplee site also, thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Warn 8274 - not the biggest and it doesn't have the best gear reduction, but if there's one thing it does is [b]pull[/b]. The geartrain runs in an oil bath for cooling, and you can change the oil if you feel the need (after fording, for example.) I had an 8074 (same as the 8274 but no freewheeling) on my Scout II and I'm still amazed it did what I made it do. I'd get that thing so hot that the paint would smoke off it and the battery cables would melt completely through, but the next time I hit the switch it'd pull just like it always did. The only drawback is it's a tall unit, with the solenoid pack above the drum and right in front of the radiator, so I'd relocate the solenoid pack next to the winch. It makes for a cleaner-looking installation on newer vehicles, but older ones seem to look better with it installed as per the instructions.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Many moons ago I had a '73 International 3/4 ton 4x4 PU with a Warn 8000# winch.  That was a great winch and could easily unstuck the truck.  I also got drug out of bed on many a dark night to help other folks who had not known their limitations.  One thing I learned is you usually only have to move the truck a few feet to be mobile again.  OFF-ROAD magazine, Sept. '86, had an article showing how to put together a self rescue system using a 2 ton Power-Pull (come-a-long), pully block, and cable.  I added some chain, tree strap, and my HILift to the kit.  Not as nifty as a winch but effective, a lot cheaper, can be rigged for any direction, and the only time it's in the weather is when it's being used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top