Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/16/2009 5:11:49 PM EST
Its football seaon. Yea, I know. Duh.
Is it possible to make a wing at home as good as any wing that you'd buy either from BW3s, Quaker State, or bar/whatever? If so tell us how and what equipment gets the best results.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:22:12 PM EST
Use dry, thawed wings. season with salt and pepper to taste. Fry in a good high temp oil, (I like peanut) till golden brown, Place one serving in a large mixing bowl and toss with the sauce of your choice. I don't like to drown my wings in sauce. Serve with celery and blue cheese... yum.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:26:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 5:27:04 PM EST by yumbeef]
I've made homemade wings a few times. These are the basic steps:
1) sprinkle a bit of seasonings on chicken wings
2) deep fry the hell out of them
3) mix up a bunch of butter and hotsauce and whatever other suace you like (for example tabasco, or sriracha or bbq sauce or minced garlic or bacon fat etc) in a bowl
4) removed chicken wings from deep fryer and toss in the sauce you made.

its alot of work, but i think they're better home made than from the restaraunt.

ETA: sriracha is the "cock sauce" that you can find at various vietnamese restaurants that has the rooster on the front.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:28:36 PM EST
I made this one a couple of nights ago and it was great!
You might give it a try...

http://americanfood.about.com/od/appetizersandsoups/r/bufchicwing.htm
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:29:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2009 5:31:19 PM EST by AtomicPunk09]
Is there a recommended fryer though that gets the oil hot enough? A few years ago, a co-worker once told me he used a Fry-daddy, but I thought they sucked, if they even still make them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:30:16 PM EST
for someone who has never owned a deep fryer. How long do you deep fry wings for?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:32:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By Circle_Cutter:
for someone who has never owned a deep fryer. How long do you deep fry wings for?

8 minutes @ 350*

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:33:57 PM EST
Take 2 jars of pickled jalapenos, three big bottles of Louisiana type hot sauce, and a box of habenero peppers. Put it all in a blender, reduced to liquid.

Put liquid in large pot, bring to low boil. Add wings, turn down heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Put wings in a shallow baking dish, cover with garlic powder, salt, and cayenne. Bake for 30 minutes.

While the wings are baking, add 2 cups of sugar to the pepper liquid and reduce.

Add the reduced liquid to the wings, bake for 10 more minutes.

Enjoy. The sugar kind of makes the heat sneak up on you.

(My wife and kids claim that walking into the kitchen when I am making wings is like being pepper sprayed)

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:35:34 PM EST
Definitely doable. Wing sauce is easier than you think too. I use three cups Texas Pete and two cloves of garlic for every stick of butter (real butter, not margarine or other butter substitute). One batch will do three or four dozen wings depending on size. Melt the butter, add the garlic and hot sauce. Let it sit over low heat for 10 minutes and refrigerate over night. Put it back over low heat when you start warming up the fryer oil. I fry my wings outside in a big turkey fryer. Fry wings until golden brown. Toss them in sauce and serve. Had a super bowl party at my house last year and had guys literally licking the sauce out of the bottom of the tossing bowls. It's simple and tastes great.

You can also get bottles of sauce at most of the chain wing joints. I know Buffalo Wild Wings has them cause I really like their Caribbean Jerk sauce. Asian Zing isn't too bad either.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:36:27 PM EST
Both the answers above are spot on.
+2 for the "cock sauce" best wing ever
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:37:13 PM EST
Step 1: Remove feathers...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:37:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
Take 2 jars of pickled jalapenos, three big bottles of Louisiana type hot sauce, and a box of habenero peppers. Put it all in a blender, reduced to liquid.

Put liquid in large pot, bring to low boil. Add wings, turn down heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Put wings in a shallow baking dish, cover with garlic powder, salt, and cayenne. Bake for 30 minutes.

While the wings are baking, add 2 cups of sugar to the pepper liquid and reduce.

Add the reduced liquid to the wings, bake for 10 more minutes.

Enjoy. The sugar kind of makes the heat sneak up on you.

(My wife and kids claim that walking into the kitchen when I am making wings is like being pepper sprayed)

WTF is that, chicken casserole? You don't bake chicken wings.

I mean, you can... but they're all gonna laugh at you.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:37:57 PM EST
I have a waring deep fryer and that works pretty well. If you want something that you know will be able to fry at really high temperatures, you can always use a turkey fryer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:39:54 PM EST
I follow the recipe on the back of the bottle of Frank's Red Hot. I go heavy on the Frank's and light on the butter, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:41:32 PM EST
Watch Alton Brown's "Good Eats" wings episode.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:46:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By AtomicPunk09:
Its football seaon. Yea, I know. Duh.
Is it possible to make a wing at home as good as any wing that you'd buy either from BW3s, Quaker State, or bar/whatever? If so tell us how and what equipment gets the best results.

Yes, it is. As others have said, the key is deep frying. I have done them in the oven, and they turn out ok, but if you want restaurant style wings, get yourself a deep fryer.

Sauce is up to you.

A very quick and easy one is to mix franks hotsauce (or similar), some butter, and some worcestershire. You can play with the quantities of each to suit you.
I usually use about equal amounts of hot sauce and butter and a couple TBSP's of worcestershire.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:49:40 PM EST
The fried wing advice above is mostly solid. Thawed, rinsed and dried wings are best - I prefer a whole wing over pieces, but that's a pretty subjective thing.

As to "what works better than a Fry Daddy?", I usually just use a large pot and a thermometer instead of a dedicated fryer. Good old Soybean oil works great, but there are plenty of oils that are suitable.

Sauce for hot wings is butter and hot sauce. There are literally 87 billion hot sauces out there that will work. The most traditional would be a Louisiana-style sauce like Franks Red Hot or Crystal. In the Carolina's lots of folks like Texas Pete. A few folks use Tabasco, but most folks find that too vinegary. The ratio of butter to hot sauce can be adjusted to make the wings more or less hot.

Another good treat is to take some of the freshly fried wings and just hit them with a good dose of garlic salt right after they come out of the fryer. Do not sauce - just eat them dry.

Bleu cheese dressing optional.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:07:40 PM EST
Fry the wings at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or so, until they are cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees). After that, it's all good. Chicken is a blank slate, ready to take on just about any flavor you wish to impart. I've tried everything from traditional Buffalo wings, to sesame/ginger, to a very nice rosemary/butter flavor. Individual preference is king here, let your palate be your guide
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:21:03 PM EST
Yes, deep frying at home is kind of an art though. The restaurants have a giant vat of oil with a huge heating element in it to maintain the heat, you don't.

Step to proper frying at home.
1. Get something big that will hold a lot of oil, I have a cast iron dutch oven.
2. Get a high temp oil, peanut is the most popular and has a very high smoke point, canola works ok. My favorite is grapeseed oil.
3. Get a good thermometer so you can keep and eye on the oil temp.
4. Only cook a few at a time and add each piece slowly, overload the oil and the temp falls making a greasy mess.
5. Try the best you can to keep a 340-360 oil temp at all times when frying, if the oil temp drops below 325 it turns the food to greasy shit.

-JTP
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:44:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By TerribleTom:

Them's fightin' words!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:29:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 9:34:30 AM EST by jteal]
here's mine:

as for wings, i picked up a deep fryer from target, i forget the model. its kinda crappy to be honest, but it gets the job done. wings thawed and dry. i use peanut oil, the fiance likes her wings REALLY crispy so i usually fry for 15-20 minutes. out of oil, into bowl, add sauce, onto plate and serve.

sauce recipe:
1 bottle franks red hot
1 stick of butter
1 tsp cranberry juice
1 tsp pineapple juice
2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp chopped garlic (i use the jarred stuff)
1 tsp of McCormick Seasoned Pepper or equivalent. (i have also made this with steak seasoning, whatever you have on hand will be fine i imagine)

throw all of this in a small sauce pan at once, and put it on the lowest heat setting. the goal is to get the butter to melt without separating. just be patient, stir occasionally. i usually put the sauce on heat first then prep the wings. when the wings are done, the sauce is nice and warm.

definitely ranch. i use the hidden valley buttermilk mix you can pick up close to the mayo. really yummy stuff. way better than the premix crap.

JT

edit: i was going back over this post and something didn't look right. i changed some of the tbsp to tsp after going back and looking at the recipe. apologies fellas.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:29:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 9:33:57 AM EST by gonzo_beyondo]

Originally Posted By TerribleTom:
The fried wing advice above is mostly solid. Thawed, rinsed and dried wings are best - I prefer a whole wing over pieces, but that's a pretty subjective thing.

As to "what works better than a Fry Daddy?", I usually just use a large pot and a thermometer instead of a dedicated fryer. Good old Soybean oil works great, but there are plenty of oils that are suitable.

Sauce for hot wings is butter and hot sauce. There are literally 87 billion hot sauces out there that will work. The most traditional would be a Louisiana-style sauce like Franks Red Hot or Crystal. In the Carolina's lots of folks like Texas Pete. A few folks use Tabasco, but most folks find that too vinegary. The ratio of butter to hot sauce can be adjusted to make the wings more or less hot.

Another good treat is to take some of the freshly fried wings and just hit them with a good dose of garlic salt right after they come out of the fryer. Do not sauce - just eat them dry.

Actually, garlic salt is shitty in comparison. (just my opinion, but I don't like that at all)

Take your Frank's and butter sauce, and load it up with diced garlic. From cloves preferably but from a jar will suffice.
Man is that some good... GOOD stuff!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:46:37 AM EST
if you want healthier and still damn tasty wings...

1. steam wings above water until completely cooked. cook longer for a lower fat content/crispier wings. salt also helps draw moisture out- this is important for crisping later.
2. chill the wings
3. put wings on crumpled foil under the broiler in the oven. watch carefully and turn often. cook until desired crispy. it is easy to burn them at this stage
4. pour wings into a container, add franks redhot + spices/herbs. Seal and shake.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:22:31 AM EST
won't comment on the cooking issue.

straight cayenne pepper sauce and melted butter. adjust to taste.

then go out and try different additives to this base mixture. garlic, jerk sauce, berries, etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:27:50 AM EST
there's so much fat in the chicken skin that you CAN do them in the oven......but you're guaranteed to set off your smoke detector and grease up your oven badly
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:17:02 PM EST
Top Top