Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:20:19 AM EDT
Anyone here make wine?  There are lots of recipes on the net, but many of them are really involved and most seem to contradict one another.  Any easy recipes?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi There,
I have been making wine from kits for around 8 years.  I usually do 10-12 30 bottle batches per year.  I have a wine cellar with home brew that has around 200 bottles at a time.  Generally a finished bottle of wine is around $4.  That includes lables, cork and shrink cap.

If you follow the rules in the kit, everything should go well.  Without using a kit you need to get the right yeast, adjust the sugar and acid levels, sulphite to kill bad stuff, add bentonite and monitor.  If you want to make from real grapes/fruit, you need a press and stemmer/crusher.  Its a lot more messy to work with real fruit, trust me, I know.

The kits are the easiest way to make wine.  I also have a small vineyard with 100 vines that I'm trying to get wine out of.  Quite a bit more work.

I have a web site with some wine making hints at:

personal.nbnet.nb.ca/fly4fun/wine_from_kits.htm
www.translatitude.ch/~mark/new_page_1.htm
www.translatitude.ch/~mark/second_harvest.htm
www.translatitude.ch/~mark/second_harvest_pressing.htm

There should be local U-Brew places where you live.  Here is a kit maker:

www.winexpert.com/

It is a fun hobby and the wine is very drinkable.  We usually let our reds sit for 6 months before drinking and 3 months for our whites.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I've made a couple of batches out of Welches 100% concord grape concentrate.  Turned out of ok and drinkable, better than Manischewitz the kosher wine made from concord grapes the Jews use for Passover.

Here's the guy's website with all sorts of info winemaking.jackkeller.net/

The easy recipe for wine from ordinary Welches grape juice:

winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques65.asp

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought we would have more winos here!

Dez
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've made a couple of batches out of Welches 100% concord grape concentrate.  

LOL...I did this 30 years ago in my dorm room, out of necessity. I didn't have any money to buy beer on a regular basis, so decided to make wine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top