Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2002 11:59:41 PM EDT
My recycle bin show to have something in it, when Open it there is nothing there. If i right click on the recycle bin icon, then click "empty recycle bin" i get an error message that says "cannot delete folder Dc37: the directory is not empty." If anyone can tell me how to fix this it would me greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried rebooting and it didnt work, and i have set the folder options to show all hidden and system folders, it still doesnt show up when i open my recycle bin. I am usually pretty good with PCs, i built this one myself but this problem has me baffled. It didnt start doing this untill i uninstalled Ghost Recon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 12:43:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I just covered this with a friend over the phone the other day.

First off, get to know the "ATTRIB", "DIR /A", "CD", "DEL", "RMDIR" (all are from the command prompt). You can get the synstax of the command by typeing a "/?" after the command (ex: ATTRIB /?)

Boot into "Command Prompt Safe Mode"

From there, using the "DIR /A" command, find the RECYCLE directory and all the files and directories below it.

Your goal is to delete all contents and the RECYCLER directory. You use the "ATTRIB" command to change the atributes from "hidden" and "system". (i.e ATTRIB -H -S "recycler") Then using the "DEL" command to delete the files, and the "RMDIR" to delete the directories.

It is a real pain to do this, but it works. You will most likely find several directories that are really long alpha numeric (example: S-1-5-21-602162358-839522115-479809731-10.00) You have to delete this directory and all its contents.

Once you delete the "recycler" directory and all its contents, reboot. The O/S will automaticly recreate the directory, and it will show up empty in the GUI.

You could do this all through the GUI, but... if your drive is NTFS, you will have mess around with permisions. Which can get messy, so that is why I suggest the command prompt safe mode. You are logged in as close to the SYSTEM account as you can be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top