Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/6/2004 12:51:34 PM EST
Ok guys, I'm running a Linux server as a Windows NT Domain Controller. I got it working perfect. What I'd like to do though is to have my local user on my Windows XP machine login to the domain. So far I can only get it to create a seperate profile to login with. Anyway I can have my local user automatically login to the domain? To throw a kink in it, the local user has a different login name than the domain login is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:54:31 PM EST
Try this.
Samba
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:56:00 PM EST
Thanks, but I'm past that point. Already got that part settled. What I'm asking about is a Windows XP configuration.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:57:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 12:57:51 PM EST by Duffy]
right click on My Computer, go to Properties. Click on Computer Name, and click on the Change button, that'll allow you to join a domain. As to different log in profiles, you need to change the way users log in. Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, go to User Account. Click on "Change the way users log on or off", then uncheck Use the Welcome Screen.

Reboot. The new log on screen has an Options button, that's where you can choose to log on to the local computer or domain.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:03:35 PM EST
Right... let me rephrase cause I think my question is confusing.

I have the domain set-up. Windows XP will login to it no problem. Here is what I want to do:

I have a Local User account on Windows XP called "Joe Schmoe" (my name removed for security)

I have a Domain Login on the Domain Controller called "joe" (once again, name removed)

I have all my crap on the Local User account. I want to get my Local User to login to the Domain under the Domain Login of "joe". Is there a way to do that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:07:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 1:07:38 PM EST by Duffy]
I don't think so, all the data and prefs are stored in the user's profile. Local users and domain users have seperate profiles, domain users get their authentication info from the domain controller, even if the local and domain user names and passwords are the same, you'll see different profiles in C:\Documents and Settings.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:11:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By Duffy:
I don't think so, all the data and prefs are stored in the user's profile. Local users and domain users have seperate profiles, domain users get their authentication info from the domain controller, even if the local and domain user names and passwords are the same, you'll see different profiles in C:\Documents and Settings.

Yeah, I was hoping that maybe I'd be able to link them somehow. If not, then well I guess I'll be copying a profile.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:22:12 PM EST
I have done it in the past and retained my local settings. Unless you are using roaming profiles the profile is machine specific.

Control Panel> System> Computer Name tab> Change button> select “Member of” domain radio button and supply domain name.

I have a windows 2000 domain controller set-up and after changing my local XP machine from a workgroup to a domain computer it did keep my local setting but put them under a new domain account.

My local account was named:
Mike
the new domain account was named:
Mike.”computers domain name”
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:27:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 1:29:29 PM EST by MillerSHO]
Top Top