Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2014 7:02:35 AM EDT
Just saw a "Recommendation" on Tom's Hardware stating that no Windows updates will be available after May 13th if you don't apply 8.1 Update.

Anybody know about this?

I already have applied it, so I'm good to go, but very curious.

Interdasting:

"What this means is those users who have elected to install updates manually will have 30 days to install Windows 8.1 Update on Windows 8.1 devices; after this 30-day window - and beginning with the May Patch Tuesday, Windows 8.1 user's devices without the update installed will no longer receive security updates," states a Microsoft engineer.
View Quote

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-updare-mandatory-microsoft-server,26569.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#1]
yea, it's kind of an odd article.  There is an update to 8.1 and 2012 R2 that must be applied in order to keep receiving updates to those versions.  If you're just running 8 or 2012, it won't affect you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty sure that there has been at least a sp1 update, if not a sp2 update as well.

Just in the last few weeks, the system seemed to do a full rebuild after two of the major updates.

So on that note, since the newer updates are bases on the first, if not second major update, the newer updates will need at least these first updates in order to work correctly.

Simply, if you pushing off updates, then is gong to be fun time to had by all with several hours of updating and rebooting like when you install a first edition OS at the end of it's service life, and have to apply all the updates from the start (reads think win 7 was up to SP3 at the end, which took hours to get it updated with more than a half dozen reboots if you stated with a win pre-sp versions).
View Quote
Windows 7 only has 1 SP. Last I read MS is done doing service packs which makes installing Windows 7 a PITA now. Over 150 updates have to be done on a bare bones SP1 install. I would love a SP2 for Windows 7, it would make my life easier.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just saw a "Recommendation" on Tom's Hardware stating that no Windows updates will be available after May 13th if you don't apply 8.1 Update.

Anybody know about this?

I already have applied it, so I'm good to go, but very curious.

Interdasting:

"What this means is those users who have elected to install updates manually will have 30 days to install Windows 8.1 Update on Windows 8.1 devices; after this 30-day window - and beginning with the May Patch Tuesday, Windows 8.1 user's devices without the update installed will no longer receive security updates," states a Microsoft engineer.
View Quote

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-updare-mandatory-microsoft-server,26569.html
View Quote

I read an article that stated that MS originally wanted all W8 computers to apply this updated in 30 days. (from release)  Businesses grumbled and MS responded by making that window 90 days.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
That update was a monster to install on my work LT.  I could see why companies would grumble about installing that one.  

Check out this thread.  Update KB2919355 failed to install.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#6]
M$ botched the 8.1 rollout.  Especially the volume license version that I use as it will not update to 8.1.  Have to upgrade via DVD and insert a new 8.1 volume key.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top