Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2001 10:30:59 AM EDT
I'd like to have someone's opinion on the post-ban muzzle brakes available from both KKF and Wilson's - I am considering replacing the brake on my Armalite due to the fact that it directs blast and concussion directly back at me _ the shooter, and if/when neccessary to take a shot quickly and without ear protection it is very uncomfortable and I'm looking for a muzzle brake that wont cause me such discomfort.  If you have an AR or have shot one with either one of these brakes I'd appreciate your thoughts and reflection on them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I've fired an 16" Armalite that has Kurts LW package and TacBrake.  The Armalite muzzle brake is very loud.  Kurt calls it a "blast enhancer", I agree.  The rifle seems quieter with Kurts brake but it is still loud.  It would have been nice to do a side by side comparison and/or do a before and after dB measurment.  I think radio shack has dB meters for around $75 bucks.

Anyhow, Kurt's work is first class and the muzzle brake looks and works well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You might want to consider the Cav comp from cavalry arms.  It looks good and he is one of us. Check it out at [url]www.cavalryarms.com[/url] .
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]

I have the Wilson combat muzzle break on my Bushy Dissipator and here are my thoughts on it:

-First off it changes the balance of your rifle, making it more barrel heavy, subtle but bothersome nevertheless.

-Second, when it was returned from Wilson's they essentially placed it in a flimsy cardboard box and mailed it to me with virtually no wrapping or padding/cushioning.

-Thirdly, possibly due to reason second above, or due to Wilson's mis-handling, my barrel came back with a gash in the finish.  Also the finish that I received from them near my barrel is all screwed up.

-Lastly, Wilson totally screwed up my front sight.  My front sight is now no longer moveable (it's like welded in place), and the rifle shot about a foot higher (at 100 yrds) then it did before the muzzle break was attached.

What I think Wilson's is doing is they take your rifle and clamp the whole front of the barrel (including the front sight) in a giant vise and proceed to torque like hell on the front of the barrel to cut the threads and place the muzzle break.  Then when your Parkerization is totally screwed up they take some black paint and cover up the bare metal.  

My front sight is so totally f-ed up now.  It was unbelievably sloppy work from Wilson's.  I will never ever purchase anything from them again.  Ever.

P.S.  Did you read the article in Gun Test magazine where they found that that "custom tuned" AR from Wilson's shot like a total POS.  I think, if my memory serves me correctly, that it shot 3.0 MOA.  I mean that's like Mini-14 quality.  Imagine $1800 bucks to shoot like a Mini-14.  Something is seriously wrong at Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, sitting Bull, you must have caught them on a bad day. My experience with Wilson has been the complete opposite. I had their brake installed, and it is flawless. It's not loud, and I have not seen any degradation accuracy wise. Turn-around time was less than three weeks, and was shipped back in a padded shotgun box. It also works as advertised.

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/037/ve/Mm/T0/2u62449.jpg[/img]

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/029/el/RO/xF/3p34795.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top