Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 1:18:43 PM EDT
<rant>
Does anyone else get pissed-off seeing these guys standing at busy intersections begging for money?  You know these hooligans wouldn’t take a job if offered.  They would rather leech from honest citizens.

I would love to see a bunch of vigilantes with cattle prods run all the beggars out of town.

</rant>
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
<rant>
Does anyone else get pissed-off seeing these guys standing at busy intersections begging for money?  You know these hooligans wouldn’t take a job if offered.  They would rather leech from honest citizens.

I would love to see a bunch of vigilantes with cattle prods run all the beggars out of town.

</rant>

Most of them have jobs and do that on the side

DO you know how much money people give them?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I got no use for bums. They had the same chance in life as me. I went to public schools, joined the military, and got a job.  How hard is that?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

DO you know how much money people give them?

Apparently it's enough for them to keep doing it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I know.

I offered one of those jokers a can of pumpkin pie filling and half a snapple to wax my truck and he told me to get bent.

Lazy b@stards!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen one take off their ragged  old coat and get in a brand new BMW.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I tell them my religion prohibits me from giving them money, but I can pray for them.

Pisses 'em off like clock work.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey don't crack my job... I am a very professional bumb.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
There was another thread a while ago that asked the question why do you NEED an assault rifle? I don't go to places where they have these kind of bums much, but I think I need to edit my reply. I wonder if the gun-grabbers would understand that?
I'm really enjoying picturing it in my mind's eye... there's a big cluster of them close to where my sister lives in Houston... one comes up with obligatory rag, "can I wash your windshield" I growl no, and produce evil black weapon.
On the other hand, frightening an excellent example of the tail end of a bell curve probably isn't worth going to jail.
Sigh.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup, Aimless that was me. I was po but I never begged. Trapping and foraging for tree barks and roots to sell is honest work.  If I can do it, any knucklehead can.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a guy give me a sob story at a gas station near LAX, he needed toothpast and TP and a few other odds and ends. I go into the MiniMart with him and pay for the gas and get him this stuff (knowing all along what's happening). He tries to get me to buy him smokes and other "non-essential" things, but I put my foot down and we exit the mart  and part ways. I watch him walk down the street  a few hundred feet and he meets up with his "woman" and proceeds to get ripped a new one because he didn't come back with money or other stuff. I laughed all the way home.

CW
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend of mine would always carry a few energy bars of some kind, and would hand them to people who were begging "for food"

Some of my former relatives (ex-wife's family) in Missouri would poach deer year-round because they were too poor.

My fiancee and I EASILY qualified for welfare and food stamps when we were graduate students - but we never took any.  Instead, we racked up enormous debt (school loans) that we are still paying off.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]
A number of years ago, a FL newspaper did an article on the guys with signs, "Will work for food."
On a good day, those dudes can get between $100-$300.  

After the article, there were a whole lot more people out doing the same.  I remember one guy who always sat on the bus bench on the corner of SE 17th ST and US 1 in Ft. Lauderdale.  Everytime I went to the beach, he was always there.  He made his career on the that corner.

Anybody in the Ft. Lauderdale area still see a scruffy looking old man with a long white beard on that corner?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
It can be a good way to get money.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was in the Marines and stationed in San Diego there was a bum that always stood in the median by were we got our haircut. When we drove by we would throw a handful of pennies out the window. The guy looked like the frogger video game running around in traffic picking up the change.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw a guy like this standing in front of a Burger King..on the sign out front it said "Now Taking Applications"....I looked at him, caught his attention, and pointed to the sign.

It got me thinking...later in the day i stopped in for a soda and they had one page applications in a pad of like 50-60 pages. I tore a few off and kept them in the truck...the next few people I saw with signs, I pulled over and handed them an application, then without saying a word just drove off.

Lazy assholes
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I saw a guy like this standing in front of a Burger King..on the sign out front it said "Now Taking Applications"....I looked at him, caught his attention, and pointed to the sign.

It got me thinking...later in the day i stopped in for a soda and they had one page applications in a pad of like 50-60 pages. I tore a few off and kept them in the truck...the next few people I saw with signs, I pulled over and handed them an application, then without saying a word just drove off.

Lazy assholes

Hahaha, that's good!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
That is why they are homeless.
You cannot pay rent with a balogna sandwich.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You have got to be kidding me.  Who gives these guys money?  ….it only encourages them.

Don’t most cities have laws against this?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I lost a bet and had to stand on the side of I-40 on ramp in downtown Nashville during rush hour on a Friday holding a sign that said "Will work for panties" for 1 hour. Ohh that sucked.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I lost a bet and had to stand on the side of I-40 on ramp in downtown Nashville during rush hour on a Friday holding a sign that said "Will work for panties" for 1 hour. Ohh that sucked.

Nofuckinway your getting by without the whole story on this bro! How many panties did you collect?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nofuckinway your getting by without the whole story on this bro! How many panties did you collect?

None but several phone #s. I was dressed in a suit and looking gq. Only way I could get thru it. I got lots of horn honking and waving too. The cops even laughed their asses off. I almost made the news too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have got to be kidding me.  Who gives these guys money?  ….it only encourages them.

Don’t most cities have laws against this?

Not any laws against it here.  One of the news stations did a story on it once, and found a lot of these guys can make $60-90K per year begging on the street corner.  Some even went home to nice houses or apartments at night.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#25]
When I lived in  Minneapolis  I'd often a scruffy looking guy along the side of Hennepin ave (very busy street) with one of those "help me" signs.  One time I was visiting a shop a few blocks away when through the window I saw the guy walk by and get into his Cadillac Escalade

I guess I'm in the wrong business.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not any laws against it here.  One of the news stations did a story on it once, and found a lot of these guys can make $60-90K per year begging on the street corner.  Some even went home to nice houses or apartments at night.

I'm still dumbfounded why anyone would give these people money.

<southpark>I need about $3.50</southpark>
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I know how you can get free food--

When I wasn't married I stood on a corner with a sign that said, "Will Work For Sex"--I never got a job, but people threw leftover food at me all the time.  

To much info Bee

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#28]
"Will work for food", what BS.  I once saw a dude with a novel approach to panhandling.  He was a white dude in his 30's or 40's (most panhandlers here are Eskimos/Indians), with a loaded tool belt conspiculously placed on a sign post, held in place with a screwdriver for everyone to see he was a hard workin' man fallen on tough times.

Dude was right across the street from the Labor Ready temp company.  What was he doing panhandling when there was a job waiting for him somewhere at the height of the busiest construction season in decades?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#29]

A number of years ago, a FL newspaper did an article on the guys with signs, "Will work for food."

Yep.  A TV station in Ft. Myers had a reporter play one of those 'work for food' guys.  IIRC he made $100 in less that a day.  That was ten years ago.   Money was donated to a charity.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#30]
There are some people in tough situations...

You are a product of your own decisions...

Help who you can it will come back to you.

MT
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#31]

You have got to be kidding me. Who gives these guys money? ….it only encourages them.

Imagine how many cars go through a busy intersection in a large city.  A safe guess is over 1000 cars, maybe more.  

You would only need a small percentage of the people to take pity on you and give you a dollar to have a "good day at the office."

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

When I wasn't married I stood on a corner with a sign that said, "Will Work For Sex"--I never got a job, but people threw leftover food at me all the time.  

Are you serious, I might try this...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

There's a guy out here that swears he did  just that and a hot babe in a convertible pulled up and asked him if he knew how to fix kitchen sinks.

Says he wound up moving in with her and staying with her for almost two years.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I got no use for bums. They had the same chance in life as me. I went to public schools, joined the military, and got a job.  How hard is that?

I think it was you who posted a story about being broke and going out hoping to get a deer so you could feed your family that night (hope it was you) I've thought of that before when seeing these guys standing around like dopes just hoping for a hand out.

I have a buddy that will offer to go to a nearby McDonalds and get them a lucn if they tell him what they want, he says 99% of the time they get pissed and tell him they want money.

#5 no pickle. large coke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top