Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2001 8:36:11 PM EDT
Is this going to replace the M16A2 on a limited basis?  How many per squad?  I believe this OICW is the Marine's prototype, or has one already been selected for Army and Marine Infantry?  I'll start with this one question but I have a few more questions.

[img]http://www.dean.usma.edu/cme/images/AAI-oicw.GIF[/img]

---------------------------------------------
GOD BLESS AMERICA
LAND THAT I LOVE

http://substance.tv
"Show some Substance"
First Issue Features:
Comedy of Bill Hicks
Guitarist Rhett Butler
Jeff Liles Retro
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, if I were fighting a war I'd want a gun that's been battle tested and proven such as the M16-A2. Anybody remember how many problems the M16-A1 had. Guns are refined as they are battle tested.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
brouhaha, that's why the US and the former USSR would provide arms to countries that were fighting. From a tactical standpoint why waste your troops battle testing new equipment when someone else will waste theirs for you?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Just how reliable or even functional would this be under deplorable conditions?  Is it waterproof or able to be submerged?  I'm sure the FC computer and sight would be sealed but it seems like kind of a clusterfuck.

---------------------------------------------
GOD BLESS AMERICA
LAND THAT I LOVE

http://substance.tv
"Show some Substance"
First Issue Features:
Comedy of Bill Hicks
Guitarist Rhett Butler
Jeff Liles Retro
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't bet my life on one of them.  Let the Israelis test them out.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It doesnt matter if it functions or not.  Even if it works it is inadequate for fighting in Afganistan. Both halves are way too short ranged, and the grenade munitions are too small to be effective unless the target is contained in a room or a bunker.  It was designed based on the experience of the 80s and 90s by people who had only fought in jungles, cities, or out the back of a APC with tanks and artillery all around to support them. It was not designed for airmobile infantry holding a mountain top with nothing but rocks for kilometers around fighting people whos favorite tactic is to move from rock to rock sniping at them.  It was not made with any care for our experience in Korea or the Russian experience in Afganistan, or even what the British encountered in the Falklands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top