Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 6:59:31 PM EDT
Bang

Is it durable , need something to kill small animals. Would it kill a ground hog from 25 feet , if shot in the head.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yea!

ETA---Had one a number of years back and it will do the job.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I suggest the .22 or the silver steak in .20, not the .177
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]
OK I tried to link to the silver streak , didn't for some reason. What type of scope does it need.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have played with the .20 cal. It will kill a crow. Those are tough to kill with a .177
The one I played with had a cheap cheap scope. I dialed it in for about 70 feet. Drilled a bunch of squirrels, and a few crows. Crows usually took two hits, but one hit would keep them from trying to fly away.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I still use My old (27+ years) "Blue Streak" in .20cal.

It is my childhood crow busing machine!

But to really make it more effective, use the Sheridan pellets, but flip them around so that the hollow end is facing forward. You will lose a little accuracy, but it will kill crows DEAD!

I had a shot at an "Wise Old" crow, and grabbed the .177 instead of the .20 as it was closer at hand, I hit him dead center, hell I heard it hit (Thwack!) saw him drop from the tree.....Recover and fly off....

I still hear him cawing once in awhile......he's got a crackly caw now..... but I never get a chance to actually see him..... he's always just out of sight....Damn it! (they are smart little buggers!)  

I've used mine so much that the bluing has worn off and the brass is showing through. I'll have to dig that little bugger out and shoot it again soon!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the .20 or .22 those things are great!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to use a pellet gun to defend my wife's tomato garden from skunks. I learned pretty quickly though that a pellet only pisses them off.

Finally I got serious and upgraded:

Screw pellets. M193 ball kills skunks dead.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
My RWS 48 in .177" does just fine on squirrels.  I dropped one yesterday, single shot to the boiler room and it dropped like a rock.  Not a single quiver, just some blood from the mouth.

Upon dressing it for the frying pan (young female, a fryer) I retreived the flat-nosed pellet just under the skin on the farside.  Smashed through the shoulder, then through the spine and out the other shoulder.

Pointed pellets go completely through as do some hollowpoints.  For safety, I shoot head/neck with flat nose pellets to prevent over-penetration.  Never lost one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I suggest the .22 or the silver steak in .20, not the .177

+1, .20 is a in-between, .177 has a tendency to overpenetrate in small game (I know it's unbelievable but really hot .177's tear through squirrels)  I use a Crosman M66 .177, 680fps, I've had success at killing pigeons and starlings as well as a squirrel, but it wasn't as quick of a kill as I'd have liked.  A head shot on a pigeon drops them immedately.  Get the .22.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes - to the original question.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, hot .177" will overpenetrate using a pointed pellet at close range.  Some hollowpoints also do this since they blow the front off, leaving a conical base to penetrate.

But flat nosed pellets work much better, making a wound almost completely through a squirrel that looks like a .22 LR wound.

Drops them great.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Star,

A simpler, cheaper, and possibly more effective option would be colibri .22 rifle ammunition made by Aguila or CB longs by CCI.  I am an absolute rimfire/small game nut, and have found these two ammo's to be my best friends.  They will work in almost any .22 rifle (you will have to cycle a semi-auto manually)  and are lethal on squirrels and small birds up to about 35 feet.  The report is the same as (if not quieter than) a good springer air gun.  I strongly suggest giving them a try before you buy the pellet gun.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a beeman single stroke .22 (800fps) rifle on clearance at cabelas, I think its comprable one of those legacy rifles.  Definitely has more power than colibri's, and so far the rifle has more accuracy than I do.  It would definitly take care of tree rats and crows,  a buddy got the same rifle and took out a racoon last week.  A benjamin sheridan is also a good choice, but go bigger than .177.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My RWS 48 in .177" does just fine on squirrels.  I dropped one yesterday, single shot to the boiler room and it dropped like a rock.  Not a single quiver, just some blood from the mouth.

Upon dressing it for the frying pan (young female, a fryer) I retreived the flat-nosed pellet just under the skin on the farside.  Smashed through the shoulder, then through the spine and out the other shoulder.

Pointed pellets go completely through as do some hollowpoints.  For safety, I shoot head/neck with flat nose pellets to prevent over-penetration.  Never lost one.

That's what i'm talking 'bout!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have coyotes in my yard all the time. Would these have any real effect on a coyote?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#16]
A buddy gave me a Marksman 0035 single cock barrel break .177 rifle a few months ago.  I handed it to the wife and told her that she could now take care of the squirrels who rob her bird feeders.  She didn't want to kill them, only scare them away.  I warned her to shoot them in the arse.  

One morning, a couple weeks later, I was on the phone when she walked into my office saying that she needed my help.  Turns out that she had finally shot a squirrel.  The poor rascal had fallen off the deck to the ground 10' below.  It was laying there panting heavily, with blood coming out it's nose.  I grabbed a nearby shotty, finished it off for her, and went back to work.  No idea where she hit the thing, but it was toast.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#17]
It'll get the job done, no doubt.  You can also get the Winchester model 1000X for about $80.  It'll do just as well and give you more velocity.  I have a BSA 4x32 on mine and it'll consistently pop a bottle cap at 30 yards with a Gamo match pellet.  I've never cleaned it, and it shoots just as good today as it did 3 years ago.  I think I'm up to 12 squirrels now.  They rob the birdfeeders.  1 shot to the neck, head, or COM and it's good as done.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have coyotes in my yard all the time. Would these have any real effect on a coyote?

A good, solid hit on the spine might drop them.  But 'yotes are tough and if you miss, it will be bad.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#19]
10/22
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a medium sized possum coming up on the porch to eat the cats food (its a possum about the size of a cat so maybe it thinks it can pass as one).  

The dog alerts me to when it comes up but unfortunately we can't let the dog run free to kill it.  I have caught it on the porch twice and am afraid to use something destructive for fear of a ricochet or damage to the wooden porch.  

So I have the same problem as Staraero.

Would a shotshell work well?

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Yea I want a good cheap air rifle for small things. Going to get a condor sometime , but this will be good to hop out the door and draw down at night. The m100 is a lot more fun , but neighbors get all pissy when someone does a 100 round mag dump at 2:30AM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have a medium sized possum coming up on the porch to eat the cats food (its a possum about the size of a cat so maybe it thinks it can pass as one).  

The dog alerts me to when it comes up but unfortunately we can't let the dog run free to kill it.  I have caught it on the porch twice and am afraid to use something destructive for fear of a ricochet or damage to the wooden porch.  

Essayons

The RWS 48 .177 will allow you a 1 shot 1 kill on Possums!

I have some pics of one that made the mistake of getting into our backyard a couple weeks ago!

I haven't had any feral cats lately so I haven't had a chance to dispatch any of them!

My Beagle keeps them out so I probably will not have a chance to try that out any time soon.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Essayons

I have some pics of one that made the mistake of getting into our backyard a couple weeks ago!

I haven't had any feral cats lately so I haven't had a chance to dispatch any of them!

My Beagle keeps them out so I probably will not have a chance to try that out any time soon.

BigDozer66

Keep your dog inside for a few nights and leave some tuna and salmon spread around the yard.  They'll be over there quicker than a hound dog chasing a bitch in heat.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#24]
i like mine, have since i was a little kid
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I had the Benjamin .22 cal. when I was a kid, used it for rabbits squirrles, birds of all kinds you name it!!!

My biggest kills were a skunk (shot back of head at close range)

And my Aunts old Tom cat that murdered my pet rabbit...  That damn cat was a big bastard and deserved what it got!!!.....

ETA: I wish I still had that rifle, it was what got me started into real shooting. I'd like to have kept it for the memories.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Essayons

BigDozer66

Yes, possum are slow and a good brain shot drops them real good as does a solid neck shot.  They tend to bounce around with chest shots. Hollowpoints work best here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top