Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 10:27:43 AM EDT
Not knowing a thing about how they work other than "cleaning the air," will the Ionic Breeze w/ hepa filter remove these kinds of germs/particles in your house?

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#1]
TAG
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably not, being that the Bird Flu is probably not alive very long in the air and unless an infected chicken manages to get caught by the ionic breeze....  you are probably ok.

The only known that that kills Bird Flu is "Hysterical Atoms"  given off by liberals who want to use things like Bird Flu to gain more control of your life.

H5N1 has been around for 40 years.

ETA:  this is a snip from This article on CDC:

Usually, “avian influenza virus” refers to influenza A viruses found chiefly in birds, but infections with these viruses can occur in humans. The risk from avian influenza is generally low to most people, because the viruses do not usually infect humans. However, confirmed cases of human infection from several subtypes of avian influenza infection have been reported since 1997. Most cases of avian influenza infection in humans have resulted from contact with infected poultry (e.g., domesticated chicken, ducks, and turkeys) or surfaces contaminated with secretion/excretions from infected birds. The spread of avian influenza viruses from one ill person to another has been reported very rarely, and transmission has not been observed to continue beyond one person.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]
the Ionic Breeze will only empty your wallet
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I use one and this was the first year I did not catch the flu ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]
First off, the ionic breeze is a filterless system, so there is no HEPA.

Secondly, my gut feeling is no.  They don't move enough air, and they are not virucidal, unless you have the ultraviolet light version, and even then, I don't think you could effectively pull airborne virus out of circulation.

Flu is transmitted among people by secretions (mouth/nose etc) that find their way into the next guys mouth, nose, eyes etc.  Handwashing is a much better idea, and simple precautions like wiping down the phone, doorknobs etc with a decent cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

lol...come on now.....the infomercial said it would purify the air!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#7]
The ionic breeze won't even stop dust, according to reviews.  It doesn't have a prayer against bird flu.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Ionicly it won't.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know but they better stop running those damn commercials 24/7.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The ionic breeze won't even stop dust, according to reviews.  It doesn't have a prayer against bird flu.

Are you saying there is just no safe way to greet someone by shaking a dead chicken in their face anymore?  

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

ditto according to my Son's Pediatrician

It does nothing
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you work for Ionic Breeze? Is this a marketing ploy?

As stated above the influenza is transmitted my contact with secretions.  Good hand washing and not touching your eyes, nose and mouth will prevent the spread of influenza virus.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#14]
From what I've read, the Ionic Breeze works... just not very well at all.  Regular air cleaners that use HEPA filters are much more effective at cleaning air.  With the IB things costing usually over $300 and sometimes upwards of $500, I'd rather pick up a ~$100 HEPA filter and use the remaining money on filters, which should last me a few years.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure, but I will allow the spokeswoman on the ionic breeze informercials into my SHTF birdflu bunker...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Dude, get one of those UV filters installed in you home AC/Heating system... I dunno if they kill "bird flu" but they work great and are not expensive. My old man put one in his house, both him and his twat wife smoke and own three dogs, but the house smells clean... Not so before they installed it. I put one in my house, it's a winner.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#17]
We know it kills mold spores. If I remember it right, an Ionizer produces CO3, and that kills spores. What else CO3 can kill, I don't know.

As for any virus, I'd doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#18]
can you make hamburger from ground beef?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
From what I've read, the Ionic Breeze works... just not very well at all.  Regular air cleaners that use HEPA filters are much more effective at cleaning air.  With the IB things costing usually over $300 and sometimes upwards of $500, I'd rather pick up a ~$100 HEPA filter and use the remaining money on filters, which should last me a few years.  

Man, I've had so many debates about this.

First, I've got two bigass HEPA air suckers in my basement. Each one is roughly $30 for regular pre-filters (one unit takes 2 reg. filters) and then $60 or so for the HEPA filter. I had to replace these nasty ass filters about every 3 months. WTF? And the really did'nt help anything very much.

I have an Ionic breeze quadra.
This is not made to suck dust out of the air. It won't, it can't, and that is all. It does collect shit on the grids. Obviously not that much. What this device does do however, is make my house smell clean and fresh 24-7. It makes smoke disappear, well actually... ionized air grabs smoke particles and drops em to the floor, same with dust, pollen, and whatever else I imagine.

So yeah, you still gotta dust. But I spent $300 for this thing nearly 5 years ago, it runs on high 24-7, I clean it once every week or two... I don't buy no filters!!! And my house smells like fresh crisp clean air. I could'nt live without one at this point. No stale cigar smoke stench the morning after a poker party! And my farts have become a non-issue.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
can you make hamburger from ground beef?

WTF? Hamburgers are round. Ground beef is not. Geeez your dumb

I miss that thread. Time to go to the archives. Oh, the IB is a scam
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#21]
no but the popeil pocket fisherman will...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Bird flu is BS. I sure ain't worried about getting it. It's like the SARS crap that went around not too long ago, or west nile. Nothing to worry about, the media is WAY WAY WAY overhyping this.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Bird flu is BS. I sure ain't worried about getting it. It's like the SARS crap that went around not too long ago, or west nile. Nothing to worry about, the media is WAY WAY WAY overhyping this.

ha ha!..

read up on the 1918 spanish flu. a mutated avian virus. started in kansas spread world wide right after wwi. killed millions of people. is estimated that if h5n1 mutates and becomes as easily spread as the 1918 flu it will kill 3 million people in the us. h5n1 is not easy to get as a person. you must come in contact with birds but it kills 65 to 70 percent of all people who contact it.

no one knows if h5n1 will mutate and maintain its kill ratio. but history has shown that it is possible.

the have been some defense tank studies done on its impact on us society and the economy. pretty serious people making some pretty serious scenarios.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We know it kills mold spores. If I remember it right, an Ionizer produces CO3, and that kills spores. What else CO3 can kill, I don't know.

As for any virus, I'd doubt it.

It produces O3, ozone, in fairly large amounts.  Ozone is good in the upper atmosphere, bad in your lungs, which is why the Ionic Breeze is a waste of money.  When you shock yourself with static electricity, the scent in the air just after is the smell of ozone, or that weird smell dring thunderstorms, that's ozone too, created by an electrical discharge in an atmosphere.  

I'm not sure how CO3, 'carbonate' could be formed...

The bird flu is a friggin media joke, and you never hear much about the many more people who've survived the bird flu, do you?  Of the tens of thousands of people who die yearly from influenza, how many have died from bird flu?  Very few.  How many normal and healthy people have died from the flu in general?  A big fat 0! Fucking media and their misdirections.  Our medical advances and knowledge of the virus means it will never be an epidemic!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#25]
An Ionic Breeze is an "Electrostatic Precipitator".  A smaller version of the air filters used on US submarines.  Dust, smoke, and bacteria are charged by the electric charge on wires, then they move to teh "collector" section where they stick to plates of the opposite charge.  This part actually works.  ( I know.  I had to clean the filthy fucking things).

The concept that they move air by electrostatic charge is technically accurate, but I don't think they impart enough energy to the particles in the air to do much good.  The ones on subs are installed at the inlets of the forced air circulation system.  Prefilters are also used to trap larger particles...

Honestly, I think the Sharper Image things are junk based on my knowledge of operation alone (never actually used one).  I'll bet a better device would be the ones used by taverns to remove smoke, but those use fans and filters too.

You want a good invention idea?  This sounds good:  (in this order) Prefilter --> Precipitator --> UV virus killer --> Fan --> HEPA filter.  The fan obviously moves the air, the prefilter filters out big stuff, the Precip gets the small stuff and smoke, UV kills viruses, Hepa gets the rest.

Build it, sell it, make money, Buy me a new truck...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]
You know what they'll stop real well?  Your computer!  Years ago I had a customer with a laptop that was always having usb failures and system crashes.  He'd bring it to the office and we could never reproduce the problem.  One day I went to his house instead.  I'm sitting there working on the computer, and from behind me I hear POW!  I ask him what the hell that was, and he said it came from the ionic breeze device.  Apparently sometimes it will arc over between the plates.  I turn back to the computer and it's crashed hard.  Static in the air and load spikes on your power system make unhappy computers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top