Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 4:41:03 PM EDT
So with Colt coming out with some new offerings (rail gun), and seeming to open up to the civilian market more, do you think or will they ever come out with some thing to compete with in the polymer market AGAIN (edit)?
Discuss...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You left out the "who cares" option.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Blasphemy!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You left out the "who cares" option.

not a colt guy eh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
They already did.  It was the Colt 2000 if I remember correctly.  It flopped.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You mean another one, right?

Edit: Narrowly beaten.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Will they come out with a polymer pistol AGAIN?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They already did.  It was the Colt 2000 if I remember correctly.  It flopped.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/colt_aa2000.jpg

holy shit.... news to me, any one care to elaborate?

ETA- that thing is fugly...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Already happened. Gag.

Edit-beaten
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
already did.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt is the end-all-be-all of modern firearms (to some more than others )

But I really don't thnk they have come out with anything groundbreaking for years. I don't know what they have for a R&D department, but they are paying them too much I think.

ETA: Yeah, the 2000 was truly an ugly mo fo
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
It would cost another grand to get it to run right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The real questions is will Colt ever give a crap about civilian arms sales again,or maybe the real question is will the leadership at Colt ever pull their head out of their ass.  

Have you seen the prices of Colt Pythons, Mustangs, 380 Auto Government Models, and King Cobras?  Colt could bring back those guns and make a killing in the market.  Guys who shoot 1911 guns on a regular basis would love to have a Mustang or 380 Auto government model.  Instead, Sig was the one who came out with one.  If Colt had made a decent factory 1911 they could have kept more of the market instead of giving it to Kimber and SA.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The real questions is will Colt ever give a crap about civilian arms sales again,or maybe the real question is will the leadership at Colt ever pull their head out of their ass.  

Have you seen the prices of Colt Pythons, Mustangs, 380 Auto Government Models, and King Cobras?  Colt could bring back those guns and make a killing in the market.  Guys who shoot 1911 guns on a regular basis would love to have a Mustang or 380 Auto government model.  Instead, Sig was the one who came out with one.  If Colt had made a decent factory 1911 they could have kept more of the market instead of giving it to Kimber and SA.

My out of the box colt happens to run perfect, much better then my kimber i had...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd buy a Colt rail gun .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#15]
They already have. Poll fail.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have you seen the prices of Colt Pythons, Mustangs, 380 Auto Government Models, and King Cobras?  Colt could bring back those guns and make a killing in the market.

Supply and demand - because those guns aren't made any more, the prices go way up. Colt stopped making double-action revolvers because the tooling reached the end of its operational lifetime and they weren't selling enough to warrant the immense expense of creating a whole line of new tooling to keep making revolvers. With all of the offerings from S&W - plus the lesser, cheaper offerings from people like Taurus - Colt would have a very hard time making much headway in the revolver market. Especially since it is a shrinking portion of the overall handgun market.

Now, the .380s kmight be worth it - pocket guns are VERY hot sellers these days. However, again they would be investing in massive amounts of tooling only to be competing with very well-established makes and models.

The reason for the demise of Colt's other handgun lines is simple ecomonics - it didn't make business sense to invest in new tooling with such little demand for those products from that company.

Also, my Colt Repro-70 is damn near perfect in every respect. My first NRM Commander - still off with Bob Miller - was nothing short of perfect reliability-wise before it got sent it in for the full custom carry treatment.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They already have. Poll fail.

Poll fail fixed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you seen the prices of Colt Pythons, Mustangs, 380 Auto Government Models, and King Cobras?  Colt could bring back those guns and make a killing in the market.

Supply and demand - because those guns aren't made any more, the prices go way up. Colt stopped making double-action revolvers because the tooling reached the end of its operational lifetime and they weren't selling enough to warrant the immense expense of creating a whole line of new tooling to keep making revolvers. With all of the offerings from S&W - plus the lesser, cheaper offerings from people like Taurus - Colt would have a very hard time making much headway in the revolver market. Especially since it is a shrinking portion of the overall handgun market.

Now, the .380s kmight be worth it - pocket guns are VERY hot sellers these days. However, again they would be investing in massive amounts of tooling only to be competing with very well-established makes and models.

The reason for the demise of Colt's other handgun lines is simple ecomonics - it didn't make business sense to invest in new tooling with such little demand for those products from that company.

Also, my Colt Repro-70 is damn near perfect in every respect. My first NRM Commander - still off with Bob Miller - was nothing short of perfect reliability-wise before it got sent it in for the full custom carry treatment.

Good point. Probably why Colt sticks to 1911s and single action revolvers nowadays. Because they sell despite the price tags.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top