Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2011 1:28:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
just like there are Hollywood guns, there are Hollywood disposals
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't want to find out!

The insides of them look pretty benign, but I guess if its up to speed could do some damage.

Always err on the side of caution with machines.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Run it with the spoon in there.
Fish the spoon out.
Imagine what your fingers would look like...
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The blades aren't really that big,its not a meatgrinder,but I wouldn't want to stick my hand in one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it will rip the daylights out of the flesh and bone.  But that's just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure they use centrifugal force to spin the debris to the outside where the blades are. Assuming you don't every actually touch the blades you should be ok. But I wouldn't put my hand in there while it's plugged in.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I beg to differ I have a 1hp disposal and it will chew your fucking arm off and not even slow down.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Having been called to the aftermath of a hand vs. garbage disposer I can tell you it won't "rip" your fingers off but it sure as hell can give you some nasty cuts and can "crush" for lack of a better term your fingers between the rotating plate and the side of the garbage disposer, that said I have never unplugged a garbage disposer to fish something out of it, I just make sure no one hits the switch.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I know that sucker will make short work out of BBQ rib bones.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#10]
You'd probably need stitches.

Plus, all of the nasty bacteria might cause some kind of flesh eating infection.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
only one way to find out
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#12]
You unplug it to reach inside it?

Anyways I doubt it would do too much damage. The insides feel more like hammers than blades in my experience and I doubt any sane person is going to keep their hands in there long enough for the hammers to really start tearing flesh.

Please note, I'm not going to test this theory of mine.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Paging Old Painless
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I dunno, my hands are too big to fit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I caught my wife fishing a spoon out of the garbage disposal without unplugging it and spent much of the evening hopping up and down and wagging my finger at her angrily.

I'm not going to tell her but google seems to indicate that they won't really tear your hand off, just cause some bruising.

Yeah, but who knows what it would do with the spoon in there whizzing around too.  I would imagine some broken fingers and stitches at a minimum.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow guys call me dumb but all my life I've always accepted the Hollywood version of what a garbage disposal will do to your hand. I always just assumed that if your hand was down there with it turned it you would have a bloody stump when you pull it out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine has the name "Bone Crusher" printed on the side of it.

That's all the motivation I need to keep my hands out of it when energized.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Try it with a hambone and report back with video
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I know that sucker will make short work out of BBQ rib bones.

Interesting experiment.

1) Get some pliers,

2) jam one of those bones down there and see what happens

3) post lots of pics in this thread

Someone please do it!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine will definitely eat shrimp shells and chicken bones.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I damn sure unplug it before I put my hand in there.

I know it's not going to turn on unless I flip the switch.  But I don't yank the trigger on my rifles even though I know the safety is on, either.  

ETA:  Ok, I'll grab a spoon or utensil that fell down there while staring intently at the switch.  But if I am going to be digging around in the blades, I am unplugging it for sure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Mine has the name "Bone Crusher" printed on the side of it.

That's all the motivation I need to keep my hands out of it when energized.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#23]

A guy in the town that I grew up in tried to feed his recently murdered wife down the disposal.  (That didn't work.)

He then tried to burn her in the fireplace.  (That didn't work.)

He then cut her in half in the bath tub, stuffed her into a couple of weighted dive bags and then dumped her into a local lake.  (That worked until he cracked under questioning.)

He really wasn't that good at murder.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont stick my hand, or fingers down the disposer for anything. I use a flashlight and hemostats for that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paging Old Painless

Garbage Disposal O' Truth?

I think Old Painless will want an ammunition(hand) donor or two for this experiment.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paging Old Painless

Garbage Disposal O' Truth?

I was just going to post this HardShell!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I can see the switch on the wall.  It's not on, the disposal is not running.  I am not afraid to fish out the spoon.  If someone reaches for that switch while my hand is in there, I'm out.

Why crawl under the sink to unplug?

ETA - I have a serious disposal. That thing would handle a whole chicken.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Stick your hand in there flip the switch. Than post pics.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I have stuck my hand down there to remove items that would not pass.  

It might cut your hand, but unless you are really fucked up on something, you will remove your hand very quickly and not be hurt badly
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I caught my wife fishing a spoon out of the garbage disposal without unplugging it and spent much of the evening hopping up and down and wagging my finger at her angrily.

I'm not going to tell her but google seems to indicate that they won't really tear your hand off, just cause some bruising.

My wife dropped a spoon in a running disposal once... it was pretty messed up when she retrieved it.  I think the result with a human hand would be somewhere in the middle between bruised and absent.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

only one way to find out
Yep...

Do it from orbit...

Its the only way to be sure...

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't hit the switch.  If it's too dark to see, don't turn on the light while your hand is in there.

Actually if it's a spoon, you should be fine, just reach in and grab it up high.  The blades are on the side.  If it's a bottle cap, I think I might unplug it for that.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#34]
When I replaced mine the guy told me to periodically toss a bone in and let it run to clean the blades.

Let it run long enough and they'd call you "Stumpy."

Most folks would probably yank whats left out pretty fast. They wouldn't be doing any more hand commercials.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I fish crap out of mine all the time,  its not turned on when I do but its not unplugged from power either.  I just make it a point to not turn it on when my hand is in there
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I have put large lamb bones down mine, its grinds the bone up just fine, I would wager it would catch then take a finger right off.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#37]
As long as the switch is not in danger of being turned on at random by being bumped by someone/something, I don't really see the risk of retrieving something from the disposer with it plugged in.  Given the way they work, I don't think it would tear your hand off, but it would probably cut it up good.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#38]
The blades spin around the outside and they are designed not to destroy someones hand if it accidently makes it in there.  However despite their attempts to idiot proof it you can out idiot the design and hurt yourself.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#39]
The blades are not even sharp. They're are usually two of them and they look to be made of 1/8 inch steel bent into an 'L' shape. They won't cut you like a knife, but I can see that they could split your skin. There's also nothing in them to "pull" your hand/arm/body into it. They work by gravity and unless you have some liquid flowing into it, the disposal is just going to get full since it can't drain pasty gunk effectively through the 3/4 inch outlet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#40]
It's just common sense to unplug power tools before working on them. A moment's attention to detail can easily prevent a lot of pain and medical bills.

But then, lots of people will argue for hours about why it's too much time and effort to reach down and unplug something.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Not likely. The mechanism that chews up garbage are spinning blunt edged hammers which rely on centrifical force to bash stuff against the outside edge of the bowl  to break it up. They aren't sharp spinning blades or augers that can draw you in to your elbow. Rest assured that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has stuffed many cadaver arms down disposals with differing specs to ensure your wife would not loose a finger unless she passed out drunk and left her hand in there. (I'm not saying that your wife drinks.)
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Get a pig hoof with the skin on, stick it in the disposal, turn the disposal on for the time it takes to pull an owie hand out.  Look at the damage.

I'm betting not too bad, maybe some stitches at most.

-V

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#44]
There is a google picture out there with said accident that....

I cannot find it now but it is...
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Get your wife a Lock Out Tag Out kit and make her use it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:47:08 PM EDT
[#47]
-2063 to go

I told Goat Boy to reset your counter during this Caturday's outage.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't bother unplugging it.

"Hey, now that my hand is asshole deep down in this thing, I think I'll just reach over and hit that switch over there."

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What the fuck is with your and your giant fonts?

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck is with your and your giant fonts?

My WYSIWYG is broken...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top