Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 4:20:30 PM EDT
I'm looking for a stand-alone system that will connect to a TV. MY PC is too old to run a burner. Do the recorders I see on the shelves of Best Buy and Wal-Mart have their own hard drives...or will I have to play a DVD in my standard player and record what plays on the TV at the same time (like using a VCR)? If the latter is the case, will my recorded copy be of less quality than one burned on a dedicated DVD burner? I do have a pretty high tech receiver with digital decoding and the works, but only a standard TV and not a digital one.

Thanks in advance,
ViCAP
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a stand-alone system that will connect to a TV. MY PC is too old to run a burner. Do the recorders I see on the shelves of Best Buy and Wal-Mart have their own hard drives...or will I have to play a DVD in my standard player and record what plays on the TV at the same time (like using a VCR)? If the latter is the case, will my recorded copy be of less quality than one burned on a dedicated DVD burner? I do have a pretty high tech receiver with digital decoding and the works, but only a standard TV and not a digital one.

Thanks in advance,
ViCAP

Okay, whether or not the recorder has a hard drive depends on which one you buy.  Toshiba and Panasonic make burners with built in hard drives.
Second, if you try to copy a factory-recorded DVD of a movie, it won't let you.  There is copy protection on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top