Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/4/2006 6:35:55 PM EDT
It would be going from Idaho to here in AZ, and I need it sent Monday and received Tuesday. Will they ship ammo overnight?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:37:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 6:39:17 PM EDT by hydroshok]
Im sure they will if you pay the extra charges , its next day air and it can get pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:37:57 PM EDT
Expecting trouble?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:38:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 6:38:47 PM EDT by XDBACKUPGUN]
I do not think so.

It is an ORMD and it is considered an AIR Hazardous Material.

Unless the policy has changed.

I have tried to get ammoman and cheaper than dirt to overnight ammo and they will not.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:38:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:
I do not think so.

It is an ORMD and it is considered an AIR Hazardous Material.

I think that is correct - ORM-D materials have to be shipped ground.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:45:40 PM EDT
As above, ground shipping only.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:45:42 PM EDT
No they will not due to it can't be placed on aircraft. So you shouldfind other ways to send it. like don't tell them what it is.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:59:13 PM EDT
What about Fed Ex then?

I can fly from here to there on SouthWest Airlines with a pistol and ammunition in limited quantities - why won't they ship it?

Will anyone ship ammo overnight?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:04:45 PM EDT
NO !
It is a HAzMat issue!
2-3 day
Unless it was on my truck, I could do it overnight
FedEx, UPS, and USPS drivers are slow as shit! (and the trucks dont go too fast either)
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:26:15 PM EDT
Why not just go to your local gunshop or Chinamart to get the ammo?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:41:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:53:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:28:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cnorton:
Why not just go to your local gunshop or Chinamart to get the ammo?

I have been to 3 dozen stores, and no one has any 5.54x39. I planned a big shoot Wed before I realized we were in a dry spell, so I am in a bind. A fellow Arfommer offered to sell me some at a smoking price, and I was just hoping I could get it from there to here by Wed.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:45:09 AM EDT
Not happening. . . Better to plan ahead or buy from a local dealer you haven't met yet. Start asking around.

All "small arms ammunition" has to be labeled ORMD & ground shipping is the only way it will be shipped. period.

My experience:
I did a group ammo buy here last year and shipped about 100 cases of 5.56 & .308 ammo . . .
I shipped every case the same way as mentioned above, UPS ground, as it was the cheapest and fastest. And they don't mind.
FED-EX rule makers are a bunch of dinks

M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:47:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:

Originally Posted By richardh247:
Will anyone ship ammo overnight?

No. DOT regulations prohibit it.

-Troy

F.A.A. too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:03:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4-CQBR:
Not happening. . . Better to plan ahead or buy from a local dealer you haven't met yet. Start asking around.

All "small arms ammunition" has to be labeled ORMD & ground shipping is the only way it will be shipped. period.

My experience:
I did a group ammo buy here last year and shipped about 100 cases of 5.56 & .308 ammo . . .
I shipped every case the same way as mentioned above, UPS ground, as it was the cheapest and fastest. And they don't mind.
FED-EX rule makers are a bunch of dinks

M4-CQBR

FedEx doesn't make the HAZMAT rules. DOT (Department of Transportation), ICAO (International Civil Air Organization), and IATA (International Air Transport Association) do.

It can be shipped by air, but will cost far more than it is worth. DOT, IATA, and ICAO regulations require that it be shipped as a Division 1.4S explosive material when shipped by air. You must also have a current IATA certification in order to sign the Dangerous Goods Declaration. If you don't have that certification, you will have to use a broker, adding to the cost.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:08:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 8:13:23 AM EDT by EOD_Guy]

Originally Posted By mpearcex:
No they will not due to it can't be placed on aircraft. So you shouldfind other ways to send it. like don't tell them what it is.

Placing an undeclared hazardous material in transportation is a Federal crime. The civil penalties start at $15,000 per day for each day the shipment is in transportation. That doesn't include any criminal penalties.

DOT is very proactive in prosecuting undeclared HAZMAT shipments. That type of shipment is what made a Valuejet aircraft go down, killing everyone on board. The people that made that shipment went to jail.

Don't even think about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:12:40 AM EDT
Trust me, I have no intention, inckling, or slightest thought of recieving ammunition that hasn't been declared!

What I don't understand is that I can fly on a commercial airline with ammo in a checked bag, but they can't ship ammo that way. What? Are they afraid altitude will set it off? I don't know of one single incident where a military C5 went down because a rifle round went off.

Anyway, I'll be shooting Wed without the ammo I need, but not for lack of effort. The seller is getting a PLUS 1 from me once a day for a year. He's good people. I'll get it for next Wednesday's shoot!

Thank you to all for the advice. While I do not understand WHY they won't ship overnight, I do understand that it is not an option.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:57:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By richardh247:
Trust me, I have no intention, inckling, or slightest thought of recieving ammunition that hasn't been declared!

What I don't understand is that I can fly on a commercial airline with ammo in a checked bag, but they can't ship ammo that way. What? Are they afraid altitude will set it off? I don't know of one single incident where a military C5 went down because a rifle round went off.

Anyway, I'll be shooting Wed without the ammo I need, but not for lack of effort. The seller is getting a PLUS 1 from me once a day for a year. He's good people. I'll get it for next Wednesday's shoot!

Thank you to all for the advice. While I do not understand WHY they won't ship overnight, I do understand that it is not an option.

I ordered 2K of Q3131A from KY Imports last year. They UPS grounded it. I got it the next day. THAT was nice :) Guess I was on the right route.
Top Top