Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 2:19:34 PM EDT
I got Her a S&W 380 Bodyguard

Nice little gun with build in laser.

Let you know how it performs tomorrow.

Now I need to get Her a leather Purse designed for CCW

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have heard those are top notch contenders.

let us know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Wrong pic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Wrong pic.

No it's not

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wrong pic.

No it's not

He's simply referring to the fact that you posted about your wife in GD and didn't include a pic of her....  

Just sayin..
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been thinking about this for my wife.  Has your wife shot it?  Is it snappy? Has it cycled reliably each time?  What did you pay for it?  

Come on details....  

Edit:  Oops thought you posted this yesterday, I will wait then...
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]

In for more info.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked one up and took it to the range last Saturday.  I feed 4 different manufacturers of ammo through it and not one issue.  It eat everything that I gave it.

It is a little snappy, but not bad.  It was grouping nice at 12 yards.  The laser is not strong enough for daytime in bright sun light.  So I could not test that out to see how it worked.

The wife liked it better than the 642 S&W 38, or the 9mm Taurus Slim.  She still likes the NAA Black Widow the best shooting 22 mags.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
please post feedback, those of you who have shot this weapon...
im interested.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
im interested.

I bought mine brand new. It was very accurate, very smooth and very little recoil. Only problem is that after 7 rounds TOTAL the firing pin snapped.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like they took something Taurus would make and dressed it up a little.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
im interested.

I bought mine brand new. It was very accurate, very smooth and very little recoil. Only problem is that after 7 rounds TOTAL the firing pin snapped.

fluke?
did you get it replaced? any trouble after the pin was fixed?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im interested.

fluke?

Not really a fluke, I have since heard of a few more. I dont think I would call it an epidemic or anything.

The gun dealer I got it from took it back full refund. S&W has yet to fix it. It broke on 3-1-11.  Its a good thing the gun shop here likes me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im interested.

fluke?

Not really a fluke, I have since heard of a few more. I dont think I would call it an epidemic or anything.

The gun dealer I got it from took it back full refund. S&W has yet to fix it. It broke on 3-1-11.  Its a good thing the gun shop here likes me.

other than the firing pin....
is it reliable?

if not, what would be a good weapon of similar size be?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im interested.

fluke?

is it reliable?

Probably the Kahr 380?   The only Kahrs that I have owned are the cw9/ cw40.

Truthfully, most people will likely never have a problem with the S&W.     None of the seven rounds jammed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im interested.

fluke?

is it reliable?

Probably the Kahr 380?   The only Kahrs that I have owned are the cw9/ cw40.

Truthfully, most people will likely never have a problem with the S&W.     None of the seven rounds jammed.

i shoot my carry weapons with hundreds of rounds before i consider them GTG
so it might be a problem for me..
lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]
have sold dozens of them

not one complaint , aside from one we put out in the showcase the laser did not work

S&W fixed it ricky tic
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im interested.

fluke?

is it reliable?

Kel-Tec P3AT

Honestly though, mine was great, never thought the laser was necessary, now I have a PF9 that's nearly the same size and shoots bigger boolits.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#19]
bump because im interested.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I got myself one as a BUG about a month ago.  I'm VERY impressed with it.  It's extremely accurate for such a small pistol, recoil is very easy to handle.  The only negative thing I have to say about it is it tends to nip the web of your hand with the slide.   I get my hand way up high on the thing though, but I'm sure several others will have the same issue.  The safety is a little iffy too.  With the safety on, the trigger will pull ~1/2 the pull length, and has no abrupt stop.  It just kinda feels squishy...  Not sure how else to describe that.  The laser came zeroed, for me anyway.  I was very impressed with that too.  All-in-all, extremely good pocket pistol.  It does handle +P.  Very slim, very small, easy to conceal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I've sold as many as I can get my hands on...(at least a dozen+) but the problem is just that... getting my hands on them.
They were difficult to get months ago... then S&W lowered the pricing on them in December by almost $100. Now they are nearly impossible to get.

Out of all the pocket-sized .380's... the BG380 is hands down the best shooter. The biggest complaints I've gotten from customers is the long heavy trigger pull.

The nice thing is... it has all the features that are sometimes left out of other pocket models. Slide lock, manual safety, laser, decent sights, etc...  It has all the good stuff rolled into one gun.

The only issue your wife may encounter is unpleasant recoil. While much better than the LCP's and P3AT's... I've seen alot of my female customers turned-off by the snappy recoil. A possible CCW alternative is something like a PPK/S in .32acp or a lighter (alum framed) Firestorm in .32acp.

With an indoor range onsite... I get LOTS of immediate feedback and haven't seen or heard of a single jam in any of the BG380's.
The only two complaints I regularly hear from customers is:
1) Trigger pull
2) Recoil
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Kahr P380.  I bought my wife one and she loves it.  It's been 100% reliable so far with FMJ and Speer Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I just bought one last week...it's on Fed-Ex somewhere between here and Springfield, MA going BACK to S&W for repairs already...

The front sight was pushed all the way to the left and I don't have a sight adjustment tool, and I REFUSE to "drift" (beat with a hammer) anything new-out-of-the-box.

The laser was no where NEAR adjusted properly (yeah, there was a .035" allen wrench and adjusting the laser was easy, but still WTF???

The trigger pull is also about 15 lbs, fells like sandpaper-on-sandpaper, stacks like a mofo until release, and sometimes stalls completely at the dead-bottom of the trigger pull wihtout releasing the hammer thus causing a misfire.

They better fix it right. I was really looking forward to this for it to turn out being such a lemon. I'd expect something like this from Taurus or Charter Arms, but never the sainted S&W.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Pics of wife not showing up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just bought one last week...it's on Fed-Ex somewhere between here and Springfield, MA going BACK to S&W for repairs already...

The front sight was pushed all the way to the left and I don't have a sight adjustment tool, and I REFUSE to "drift" (beat with a hammer) anything new-out-of-the-box.

The laser was no where NEAR adjusted properly (yeah, there was a .035" allen wrench and adjusting the laser was easy, but still WTF???

The trigger pull is also about 15 lbs, fells like sandpaper-on-sandpaper, stacks like a mofo until release, and sometimes stalls completely at the dead-bottom of the trigger pull wihtout releasing the hammer thus causing a misfire.

They better fix it right. I was really looking forward to this for it to turn out being such a lemon. I'd expect something like this from Taurus or Charter Arms, but never the sainted S&W.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
~snip

Of all the BG380's I've sold... I have yet to see one come out of the box with the laser dialed-in. That's just the nature of the beast. You WILL have to adjust it.

As far as QC issues are concerned...  I'm a bit surprised to hear it. Every BG380 I've seen come through my shop has been perfect. I suppose a few lemons can slip through occasionally... especially at the rate they are flying off the shelves. S&W can't make them fast enough to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
~snip

Of all the BG380's I've sold... I have yet to see one come out of the box with the laser dialed-in. That's just the nature of the beast. You WILL have to adjust it.

As far as QC issues are concerned...  I'm a bit surprised to hear it. Every BG380 I've seen come through my shop has been perfect. I suppose a few lemons can slip through occasionally... especially at the rate they are flying off the shelves. S&W can't make them fast enough to keep up with demand.

Are they about the size of my Seecamp in .32acp?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I own a BG380, a Walther PPS in 9mm - and of course several other nice things like M&P 40S&W that I'll never carry because it's just too large for comfort.

I feel the BG380 and 9mm PPS to be a dynamite combo to fit the niche of "no reason not to have protection".

BG380 for pocket or PPS for IWB, dress for success without sacrificing wardrobe or protection.

You've chosen wisely.

I highly endorse that PPS as do many others here, while it's a bit pricey I believe it to be very well made - and very well engineered.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I would buy one if they didn't come with the tacticool lazer beamz. It felt real nice in my hand but I don't see the need for a laser. I wonder how much the price would come down if it came without it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
~snip

Are they about the size of my Seecamp in .32acp?

Probably not, mine still fit the same holster as my P3AT and probably weighs a little more but I haven't weighed them side by side.

I really kick myself for not seeing the front sight blade was pushed all the way over in the dovetail before I bought it. But I had to wait for it to come in and there was not another one in stock to replace it with or my dealer certainly would have done so.

I also should not expect the laser to come sighted-in, it was about 4" high and 6" left at 10 ft when I got it. The enclosed allen wrench worked like it was supposed to with a fine touch. The laser aligned to target well, but would not "co-witness" with the iron sights because the front sight was out of whack.

Recoil was quite managable with Hornady Critical Defense loads. Good limited expansion in wet phone books. Actually, the extra weight of the laser module directly under the barrel seemed to absorb some of the "snap".

But the trigger sucks donkey, especially when compared to my Kel-Tec (wow...figure that one out...) and it seems to have gotten worse until I decided to send it back.

I'll try to get a range report together when it gets back from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok, thanks for the info PP.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the gun but the wife has issues with the long trigger pull. Shots good, laser and daylight don't go together, it's weak OK in low light and dark.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#34]
just bought one of those yesterday, headed to the range in about an hour for a test drive
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I was pondering one until I dryfired it in the gun store.  The trigger pull, both in terms of weight and length, is just awful.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:32:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Photo of gun....good....no photo of wife.....issue
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Thanks!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top