Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:38:38 PM EDT
I made a post in the hometown forum, but wanted to get the opinions of the masses.

Ok, I've never been there & neither has she. We're not going to play golf or party at clubs. We like hiking, nature stuff, historical stuff, dining out on great steaks/seafood.

What's there for us to see? Where should we stay (price doesn't matter, its the experience that counts).?
I don't know which island to go see, but I'm looking at 8 full days. Will we get bored at just one, think I can jump to another?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:41:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:43:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MGNiko:
I made a post in the hometown forum, but wanted to get the opinions of the masses.

Hivemind is the preferred nomenclature.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:45:20 PM EDT by Janus]
Tag for info as well.

Going in March for sister's wedding.

The only thing planned so far is Pearl Harbor.

oh.. and maybe my sister's wedding...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:46:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:

Originally Posted By MGNiko:

Hivemind is the preferred nomenclature.

Well I did just get done watching Resident Evil
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:47:00 PM EDT
I'm saving the "hawaii trip" till I really fuck up....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:57:15 PM EDT
See the Arizona memorial.

The interesting part of it is that about 80% of the people that go to see it are Japanese.

I went in '89 IIRC and I didn't believe the number of Japanese visiting the memorial.

One Japanese couple chatted with me and confirmed something I had already known: The Japanese don't teach history about WW2 in schools. The couple pumped me for quite some time about WW2 and offered to buy me dinner if I'd talk to them.

Wish I could have, but I was readying a sailboat for delivery back to the states and was pressed for time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:59:01 PM EDT
Sounds good, Pearl is something I've planned to see since the beginning. I'll get the Fodors book on Hawaii too that way I can find my way around. Think we'll go in March when the Alaska cold gets really old..
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:02:51 PM EDT
Bike Hawaii's Bike Hike and Sail tour. Lot's of fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 1:18:55 PM EDT by SC_00_05]
I just got back from a vacation in Hawaii about a month ago and it really is paradise for couples.

We went to Oahu (waikiki) and it's the main tourist spot with most of the hotels. Lots of uppity shopping (louis Vuitton,Armani, etc),lots of places to eat, and just lots of basic tourist stuff.

Just a short bus ride (or rent a scooter) to get to Hananuma(sp?) Bay and see the best snorkling I've ever seen. Plenty of crazy looking fish you'd normally only see in fish stores. There's also plenty of hiking trips that will pick you up from your hotel for relatively cheap. We did a hiking tour of Diamond Head and through some of Oahu's tropical forests to see their waterfalls. The Arizona Memorial is also just a bus or taxi ride.

If you do go to Waikiki, make sure to get out of the city and check out less crowded beaches around the island. My girlfriend and I found an isolated cove just past Hananuma Bay where you could walk down the cliff and pretty much have an isolated beach all to yourself (and the sea turtles). I'd love to go back. BTW there's a decent contingent of crazy homeless people who have nothing better to do than talk to themselves and swing their arms in the air.

If you're looking for much more nature do a different island like the big island or Maui. Maui is supposed to be the most beautiful but each island has its strong points.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:57:17 PM EDT
Buy this book (probably available at your local Barnes and Noble or Borders), especially if your choice is Maui. The island of Hawaii, being the largest, may offer the most hiking. One thing to consider when you choose a place to stay is that one side of ANY island is rainy, the other can be pretty much bone-dry. On the Big Island, Hawaii, Hilo is very rainy, Kailua-Kona is nearly rain free. Same on Maui, Hana is rainy, Kaanapali less so. Kehei on Maui, seems to be gaining popularity according to our travel agent friend and my friend in Hawaii.

www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html

If you choose another island, get the corresponding book. Even my friend who's lived there for 20+ years found them full of stuff he didn't know. They are very accurate and up-to-date and will keep you busy for your stay. I wouldn't change islands as it effectively removes 1 day from your stay.

Maui seems to be the favorite and has the restaurants. Haleakala volcano (early morning bike-ride down), lots of waterfalls on the Road to Hana, Restaurants, shopping and a great Magic Show in Lahaina. Diving and snorkeling off the Lahaina side of Maui, and whale watching.

Hawaii (Big Island) has Volcanoes National Park (I believe you can camp there) where there are quite a few areas to hike, including the activie flow areas down by the ocean. Parker Ranch is headquartered in Kamuela, Kailua-Kona is the area they do the Ironman Triathlon in. Some forested parks south of Kailua-Kona you could hike and camp at. You can IIRC drive to the top of Mauna Kea and there is a hiking trail to the top of Mauna Loa (a 2 day trip up, stopping at the halfway cabin and a cabin at the top).

Kauai has a great scenic hike along the Na Pali coast (also fairly treacherous in the rain) out of the Hanalei area. It seems to be an area they do some coastal kayaking in too. Special trips can get you to Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon of Hawaii. Poipu Beach (haven't personally stayed there) is supposed to be a great beach and resort area.

Molokai has a national park up in the mountains above the Kalapaupa peninsula, where the leper colony was built. This is the area of the Mule Rides down to the colony. The park was pretty minimal when I went there 20 years ago. Molokai is a sleepy place that might still look like a southwest town.

Oahu actually has a lot but it has freeways and crowds too. Easily a weeks worth of hikes and sights.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:11:44 PM EDT
Visit the Polynesian Cultural Center too, its over by Kaneohe.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:23:58 PM EDT
Get her a one way ticket and throw a party.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:30:33 PM EDT
Visit Florida where we actually encourage firearm ownership.

Don't visit Hawaii where they ban concealed carry and most ownership.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:44:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:48:35 PM EDT
Given the choice, I would skip Oahu (even if it means missing Perl Harbor) and spend your time on the Big Island. Less crowded, less tourists, live volcano and as many different types of climate as you will ever want to visit, all packed onto one island.

Just take care when you see the Kapu signs ... usually pot growers ... walk elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:45:50 PM EDT
If you have to go to Oahu, go visit Diamond Head and walk up the steps. Make sure to carry plenty of water. Skip the zoo nearby. Stay away from Waikiki unless you just want to hang out and get drunk. For good native food, try Ono's. It's a small hole-in-the-wall mom-and-pop restaurant but it's quite popular and you'll have to wait if you are not lucky. Cash only

If you go visit the volcano park in Big Island, don't get too adventurous and get off the path. Day after I visited there somebody wandered off and died from volcanic fume. This seems to happen on a regular basis.

Haleakala: make sure you get a FULL tank of gas before going up. I ran out at the top and had to coast all the way down on vapor and gear in neutral. Entrance fee is cash only. Take it easy when you get to the top as air is very thin and you will get light headed very quickly.

Try roadside fruit stands on Maui. They had the sweetest pineapple I've ever tasted. Large tracts of pineapple fields are being converted into track housing, so enjoy while you can.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:51:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:56:14 PM EDT
If you like nature and hiking, go to Alaska, Colorado, Arizona or visit some other area in the continent of the US.

The entire state of Hawaii is a tourist trap.

You know there is an amazing lot of things to see here and you don't even have to sit in an airplane for six hours to see them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 9:08:14 PM EDT by The_Macallan]

Spent 8 days in Hawaii just this past June

Must-do:

* USS Arizona/USS Missouri/USS Bowfin at Pearl Harbor - full day. Get to Arizona Memorial EARLY (before 7-8:00ish am)

* Go snorkeling (or diving if you have more time)

* If you plan on "island hopping" - get your tickets well in advance.

* Helicopter ride is excellent way to see a lot.

* The place we hiked the most was around Pololu Valley on the north side of the Big Island. Also did hiking around Kilauea.

* Didn't make it to Maui or Lanai - supposed to be very lush.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:18:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
I've loved my time there.

Do Pearl Harbor and visit the USS Arizona. If you get there on a weekend the old WWII vets will tell stories of their experences during the attack. I've spent a couple of days there wandering around. I was also allowed onto Ford Island and got up along side where the USS Arizona sank. It's off limits to the public but these things helped.

<----

That and the ship's video cameras.

civilians can get on ford island but only on the tour bus but only for the USS Missouri tour. which i would also recommend. Additonally every wed and sunday there is a swap meet at aloha stadium for all the cheap gifts to bring back to people. But I would recommend a Island other than Oahu. You might want to thik about Maui or Hawaii. Or what I would do if I had not already been there waayyy too many times would be spend a few days in Oahu see all the sights there are to see and then go to Hawaii or Maui or Kaui basically any island other than oahu.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:19:23 PM EDT
did she earn it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:22:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By steve-oh:
did she earn it?

I bet there arnt any rug burns on her knees or chin...so i'd say no!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:30:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC:

Originally Posted By steve-oh:
did she earn it?

I bet there arnt any rug burns on her knees or chin...so i'd say no!

The tickets are for jasondcrum and "significant other". S.O. is still TBD.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:54:43 PM EDT
Instead of taking an air tour may I suggest hitting up the local flight school for a lesson.

The instuctor will know whats up, you'll get a great tour and spend about 1/4 the cash.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:17:42 PM EDT
Recommend splitting your trip across two islands.
Pearl/Waikiki for 4days+, Maui for 3.
Or the big island.
Works just right for a major sight / site each day and local 'flavor' in the rest f the day.

Maui's 'Road to Hana' is nice. As is the trip up to the Telescope. And great golf couses, if you dare.

Pearl / AZ memorial. Fort DeRussy on waikiki is a nice hour. Go to the mil cemetary on top of Diamond Head. Take a sugar cane tour just to say you did.
Top Top