Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 9:17:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 9:17:22 AM EDT by DigDug]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:17:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:25:07 AM EDT
I've got a stack, some in bad shape, sitting over here in my corner. I listen to them now and then. I can't part with them. I'm taking them with me when I move.

Don't just toss them out, though. Stand your ground, or take adair_usmc's ebay suggestion.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:25:10 AM EDT
Start throwing out her shoes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:26:09 AM EDT
I wouldn't throw any of it away. I'm waiting for the day to convert all my LPs to data files to store on CD/DVD. Many of mine are of out of print LPs that is not available.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:26:21 AM EDT
Tell her NO!!!!!!!!!

Hell NO

and FREAKING HELL NO!!!!!!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:26:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Start throwing out her shoes.

With her in em.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:28:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 9:42:21 AM EDT by packnru]
Divorce.

Edit because I can't spell today.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:36:40 AM EDT
My prediction is that one of your future post will be "Wife threw out album collection" say when you return home from a trip to the store
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:45:12 AM EDT
Blasphemy!

I have a hard time even throwing away an old book, much less a record regardless of condition.

Some of my records were 'ruined' when the storage space my sister had put them in flooded out.

I found out too late and she had already thrown them away. That was 10 years ago, I still haven't

even contemplated forgiving her for that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:47:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:
www.ebay.com

+1, keep the proceeds for yourself, use them to buy something you personally would enjoy. She'll have zero room to bitch about it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:10:09 AM EDT
If you decide to be a good husband who loves his wife, and decide to throw the albums away - throw them my way. Why, just the other day my wife was yelling at me for not having enough vinyl. This could be a win win.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:32:15 AM EDT
In the past I have archived to CD some old 78's (had to borrow a 78 turntable from a university) and tapes of Edison cylinders. I have also had an ongoing project of archiving my own extensive LP collection to CD.

This can be done by going from the line out of your amp/receiver to the line in of your sound card. You will need a Y cable with the L and R RCA phono plugs on one end and 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo phone plug on the other. These are easily available at Radio Shack and such, sold for hooking the output of Walkman and Discman players to Phono In on stereo gear.

Once you have the signal coming to your computer, you can record with Goldwave or any of a number of good recording programs. Goldwave may be used free for quite a while, though it is a shareware. In Goldwave is a pop/click filter that will remove most all but the worst pops. You can also do some other filtering that may improve some recordings. For example, the old 78's and Edison cylinder tapes I used both pop/click filtering and also filtered out all sound below 80 hz and above 4000 hz. Nothing was recorded except noise in those regions, neither the mics nor playback equipment was capable of any better at that time. This greatly improved the sound, making the old recordings listenable.

Once recorded by Goldwave, you may save as a *.wav for burning to a music CD, or MP3. If you save as MP3, you will need to get the LAME encoder from the Goldwave site.

You may also wish to scan the cover photo and songlist from the jacket.

I have saved quite a few historically significant Jazz LP's that will probably never be available in CD.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:29:39 PM EDT
Same boat as you. I have 3 peach crates full. Gonna try selling them to a used record store, then donate any leftovers to the library book sale for the tax deduction.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:35:21 PM EDT
be a man and tell her how it is not how she wants it to be
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:39:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:
www.ebay.com

+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:05:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DigDug:
They aren't collector quality, and some of the jackets are in pretty bad shape and I don't listen to them much any more, but damn it I don't want to throw them away!!!

No way I will ever do it. I still have an 80's vintage Linn Sondek LP-12 with a Premier arm that occasionally gets called into service on some really great vinyl I collected over the years. There are some really well produced CDs but then when I break out the vinyl it never ceases to amaze me the extra information that comes from it. Studio and concert hall ambiance and signature and more actual dynamic range than lots of CDs, at least from a good table. Nope, can't do it...
Top Top