Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2013 9:09:29 PM EDT
The wifey decided after riding an old motorcycle out on a ranch for the first time late last summer that she wants to ride motocross in the amateur womens class. We bought her a CRF-150RB and it is a great beginner bike for her, and she has been riding it with one of my old street helmets, hiking boots, etc in the mean time and loving the everliving shit out of it.

However, she has not purchased any "real" motocross gear yet. Any recommendations for websites to order from, helmet, safety gear, etc. brands that are a good bang for the buck? I have had a bunch of street bikes, but know almost nothing about motocross. Thanks!

(The best part of all this is she's already thinking she'll want a 250. MOAR POWER!!! She finally GETS ME!!!!!)
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You know the rules.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Find a Cycle Gear and try things on.  Revzilla.com is a great site that has review videos and good deals.  There's also motorcyclegear.com and   Don't cheap out on helmets, boots, knee braces and neck braces.  You can save a lot of money by going with previous season gear.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You get what you pay for. Dont by anything used,
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Motosport.com Usually has some pretty good deals.  As mentioned it's best to try it on first if you can, find her size and then search for deals online.  Buy good stuff and make sure she wears it.  I raced for years and spent my fair share of time in the E.R. it's just a part of it.  I have no doubt that had I not been wearing my gear that a lot of my injuries would have been much worse. Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't be afraid to spend on a good helmet, not a place to cheap out on. gear itself is basically whatever brand u like, most of it is pretty quality stuff, I've had great luck with TLD gear lasting for quite a while, I will usually try to get closeout gear to save some dough. might want to also consider a neck brace, as well as elbow pads, knee pads/braces. Boots, probably don't need a real spendy one but maybe a mid priced boot from Alpinestars, Fox, Gaerne should be considered, I might have forgot a brand or 2 but someone else can chime in on that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I only ride offroad and buy almost all my gear and parts from Rocky Mountain ATV MC or Motorcycle Superstore.

HJC helmets, Scott goggles, MSR jants/jerseys, Fox gloves, and SIDI boots are my preferred brands after spending a lot money over the years trying to find the most comfortable gear. Fox and EVS make solid chest/roost protectors and knee guards that won't break the bank.

Glad to hear she's having a blast!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks guys, ended up getting her an HJC helmet, Scott goggles, Thor pants, jersey, and gloves, Fly boots, EVS neckbrace etc. at a local shop at cheaper then Motosport.com prices. Too cold for the jersey, LOL. Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh632/SixSquared9/JulieMCnewgear_zps777fe19d.jpg

Thanks guys, ended up getting her an HJC helmet, Scott goggles, Thor pants, jersey, and gloves, Fly boots, EVS neckbrace etc. at a local shop at cheaper then Motosport.com prices. Too cold for the jersey, LOL. Thanks for your input!

Nice!!

Kneepads might be better on the inside of the pants. get some really long over the knee socks to help from chaffing if needed.

Where in MT are u located that there is no snow on the ground? I figured the whole state would be covered this time of year still.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#9]

fyi: IIRC Fox Racing makes chest/roost protectors designed for women.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh632/SixSquared9/JulieMCnewgear_zps777fe19d.jpg

That is fine starter gear.  Knee pads go in the pants.  Remind her that when starting out and learning, dont push. She needs to "let the track come to her", and concentrate on the basics, proper form, breathing. Also, a beginner should always remember to hold her line! Noobs bouncing all over the place is the fastest way to hurt herself or others.

MX is one of the most rewarding parts of my life and its fun seeing someone just starting out.  Have fun and wish her luck from me!  All the gear, all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top