Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 5:55:38 PM EDT
I want her to bring our children and hopefully get excused.  What would they do if she shows up with them?

For those of you who are thinking "don't shirk your civic duty"  I have a job where I travel a lot, and we have no relatives within 800 miles.  We don't trust or want to pay for strangers to watch the kids.

If anybody has any surefire methods to get excused, I'm all ears.    - Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
When I got notified, there was a section on the back of the card that said you could be exempted for kids.  All I had to do was call the court.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks TXWX,  we already called but they still want her to show.   btw- what does TXWX stand for
TX weather?

Anyone else?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't do it
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wouldn't do it

Why not?    Would they put the kids in a holding cell? (Some days, that might actually be a good thing.)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Do it!

Fuck jury duty.  I get nailed every year (this year, twice!) for that horseshit.  Dunno about you, but I can't afford to pass on making wages for the day for those asswipes to reimburse me for milage.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard wearing a white hood works....

Seriously, I have had friends who basically got up and said they were racists and could not be impartial.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my first elected official I ever got elected is a current Common Pleas Judge in Ohio. He's an old family friend for the over the last 20 years. The only time he ever let my wife off jury duty is when she was breast feeding with my newborn son. I still had to go.

Judge's take the jury process very seriously but wouldn't want to create hardship for you. I think if you can ask the court to serve another time, they will let you bail.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One of my first elected official I ever got elected is a current Common Pleas Judge in Ohio. He's an old family friend for the over the last 20 years. The only time he ever let my wife off jury duty is when she was breast feeding with my newborn son. I still had to go.

Judge's take the jury process very seriously but wouldn't want to create hardship for you. I think if you can ask the court to serve another time, they will let you bail.

Another time as in 3-5 years, or 3-5 months?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
btw- what does TXWX stand for
TX weather?

im guesing a female from texas that enjoys the meteorological arts.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've heard wearing a white hood works....

Seriously, I have had friends who basically got up and said they were racists and could not be impartial.

Well, she is from the MO backcountry........hmmmm...........

What about "I believe the justice system is so screwed up in this country that I could not possibly be impartial"  

I'm going to make sure she works the phrase "jury nullification" into every sentance also.

Anybody else have any tips?  

I feel like a jerk for looking for a loophole, but it really would cause a serious hardship if she gets put on a jury, and I'm in a different time zone.    
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't do it

Why not?    Would they put the kids in a holding cell? (Some days, that might actually be a good thing.)

People think since they bring their kids that they will get off and not be on a jury, and thats usually not the case.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm going to make sure she works the phrase "jury nullification" into every sentance also.

that should work they want mouthbreathers for jury duty

last time for me
have you ever worked in LE, Corrections, fire ,social services or any other emergency service ?
YEP.
Boom gone

I guessing they do not want someone who knows how to see through a dirtbags bullshit
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't do it

People think since they bring their kids that they will get off and not be on a jury, and thats usually not the case.  

OK Thanks, so it's a known dodge, and the Judge is likely to select you out of spite?  

Serious (stupid) question:  How does the selection process work.     Open to anybody.  I've never been on one, and I don't know a thing about it.  Though I should.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I've always been able to avoid jury duty because I've been out of town.
I got called up for jury duty for the first time last year. I was hoping to see a trial but no one was called that day. It would have been more exciting than my boring job.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I wasn't exempted for my son and he was just an enfant [about 4 months old].  My husband had to take the day off work and bring him to be nursed as he wouldn't take a bottle.

I was excused but not because of my baby.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Sigh...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I wasn't exempted for my son and he was just an enfant [about 4 months old].  My husband had to take the day off work and bring him to be nursed as he wouldn't take a bottle.

I was excused but not because of my baooby.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#18]
First thing you NEED to do is reed up on the summons and then call nd ask for a postponement NOT an exemption.  Showing up with kids could get her a stint for contempt and the kids waiting in the county kids playpen.  In other words, don't do anything stupid unless you or she are willing to face the consequences.  You get a presiding judge or jury commissionerr who has had his or her fill of BS and you might be very unpleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I was excused but not because of my baby.

Why were you excused?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
How does the selection process work?

Does the prosecuter pick a few, then the Defendent's lawyer pick a few, and the rest sent home?  

Does it work the same in all districts?

I hate being in the dark about this. Please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#21]
My ex-wife took our twin boys when they were 2 and my newborn daughter. She had called the day after she got the notice in the mail and the clerk told her to just bring them with her. One of my boys kept repeating what the judge was saying. She was one of the last people to be excused.

It was ridiculous, everyone went bug-eyed when they saw her with three little kids, but the judge ignored them until her category came up. She wasn't working at the time, but we couldn't afford for me to take a day off without pay to watch the kids for her. My job covered jury duty for me but not for her. It turned into a big thing, the jury was sequestered and the trial lasted a week. There was not way we could have done that.

My (current) wife got summoned for jury duty and it turned out that her cousin was presiding. She got called to the bench and her cousin whispered to her, catching up with the family and stuff. It's nice having friends in intermediate places.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Tell them the two year old is breast feeding. (it worked for me, same situation no family for 1000 miles, infants, stay at home mom with not a chance of hiring a stranger to whatch them)

Tell them the child has a fever of 103, throwing up, ask for changing table accomodations.(they have handicap accomodations!)

dont answer anything short of a hand delivered summons

Bring the babies and dare them to toss her in jail....( i know its easier said than done)

I hate these bastards, you can escape duty for not speaking english, or a million BS reasons but for a situation as mentioned , NO!

I thought the courts were here to protect our way of life ? Not hurt it ?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#24]
would love to participate, but if you were in his shoes with 2 little kids and well...you obviously havent experienced what he going through.

If I was to be judged by a jury of peers boy I would sure like to be aware of the mindset they were brought into the court room under..............
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I want her to bring our children and hopefully get excused.  What would they do if she shows up with them?

For those of you who are thinking "don't shirk your civic duty"  I have a job where I travel a lot, and we have no relatives within 800 miles.  We don't trust or want to pay for strangers to watch the kids.

If anybody has any surefire methods to get excused, I'm all ears.    - Thanks in advance.

Change your screen name... the founders of this country are doing at least 3500 rpm in the grave with this stupid fucking post...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Change your screen name... the founders of this country are doing at least 3500 rpm in the grave with this stupid fucking post...

+1

Jesus!!!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Does the prosecuter pick a few, then the Defendent's lawyer pick a few, and the rest sent home?  

Well, maybe this is an indication that you need to sit in a voir dire.

I second the motion that you change your screen name - it's misplaced and inappropriate in your case.

You have a problem if you are keeping your wife isolated with the kids and no other social interaction while you are traveling, and as far as your insinuation about the Missouri backwoods, I thinking 90% of those folks are 50% more intelligent than you on your best day.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

1. A pool of jurors are brought in. These jurors are picked randomly.
2. The judge, prosecutor and defending attorney question each juror, voir dire.
3. Afterwards, the judge can reject some jurors. From the remaining pool of jurors, the prosecutor and defending attorney can ask the judge to reject jurors they don't want. The final list consists of 12 jurors and 2 alternates. The entire pool of jurors could be rejected. In this case, more jurors are brought in to go through the voir dire process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top