Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 11:27:12 AM EDT
I have a '99 Intrepid that has in the week develope a sqeeeking sound coming from the left rear wheel. The first thing I did was to pull the wheel and check the brakes. Brakes & rotors are fine, as I suspected. Then did the same on the other 3 wheels, Check, everything ok. But now I still have a squeeking sound that dissapears when I apply the brake and turn, iit dissapears when I turn, even slightly. Do I need a lube job? nothing in caught or rubbing that I can see that would cause this.

I did the brakes (pads & rotors on all 4) 2 weeks before deploying to Iraq, in the past year my wife drove the car maybe 800 miles, not enough to wear down the brake system, I drove another 1K before the noise started.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Well with the turning making it stop it sounds like front brakes to me,maybe they are just sqeaky.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a '99 Intrepid that has in the week develope a sqeeeking sound coming from the left rear wheel. The first thing I did was to pull the wheel and check the brakes. Brakes & rotors are fine, as I suspected. Then did the same on the other 3 wheels, Check, everything ok. But now I still have a squeeking sound that dissapears when I apply the brake and turn, iit dissapears when I turn, even slightly. Do I need a lube job? nothing in caught or rubbing that I can see that would cause this.

I did the brakes (pads & rotors on all 4) 2 weeks before deploying to Iraq, in the past year my wife drove the car maybe 800 miles, not enough to wear down the brake system, I drove another 1K before the noise started.

Any ideas?

www.dodgeintrepid.net/

Try looking on that site for your problem. Invaluable for trep owners
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Newer cars will do that to let you know the pads need to be changed.  They do stop when you apply the brakes, but when you are not on the brakes, they squeak.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#4]
could just have a bad set of pads. it happened to me once, bought some new pads and they squeaked everytime i lightly touched the brakes. once i applied more break pedal it stopped. but it happened for the life of the pads. when i replaced them the squeak was gone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you take the pads off and inspect them? It could be a small rock imbedded in the pad. Other than that you should check your wheel bearing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top