Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/30/2005 2:56:34 PM EDT
Hello,

Sometimes I can't help a laugh when I see people comparing their dooms day kits.  What makes you think anything will ever happen? Better have one and not needing than the other way around, granted...but still, it seems a bit strange...at least as far as I'm concerned. I guess even I have my own "home Rambo" kit...but quite frankly I didn't get it because I feel I'm going to need it someday. Just a hobby. That said, many people pick their weapons like they're about to get dropped in middle of Afganistan alone. Don't get me wrong, I love the mil stuff too....but I'm never buying it because I'm thinking I might need to take pot shots at me neighbours at 400 yds. I suppose the same applies to people with CCWs...having a gun is ok...but carrying a back-up, too...lol...Like I always say to meself, if it takes more than 8 shots I shouldn't be doing it in the first place. No flame intended, I'm sure it's just a cultural difference.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
it's to protect us from invasion by the mighty Finish Army.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Okey Dokey
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Weren't the Fins run over by the Soviet Union?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sounds good to me
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
This is going to be good!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We held the line. They got a small piece of land but that's it. I don't think this has anything to do with the topic, though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Taggie

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Uhmmm... to be ready "in case of the worst" .
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Obviously you haven't seen any news coverage of the aftermath in New Orleans, LA after the hurricane.  I doubt the people of Finland were too worried about it, but we got to see EXACTLY why there are some people who prepare for the worst.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
All you need is a .22 and a .38, a case of beer, and a roll of TP and you are set for armageddon....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the Finnish government as intent on stripping you of your rights and making a slave out of you as some elements of our Federal government are? Maybe that might explain the difference.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We held the line. They got a small piece of land but that's it. I don't think this has anything to do with the topic, though.

Sure it does. What if they DID run you over back then? A bug-out would be nice to have.

And case in point is New Orleans, LA after Hurricane Katrina.

By the way, welcome to the board, I've love to visit your part of the world some day.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
IBTSHTF

In Before The Shit Hits The Fan
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, for a topical answer, read the news about what happened after we got hit by a big hurricane a few weeks ago.

People that think the worst won't happen, are the first to die when it does.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Proving you ain't thinking... but we knew that already.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hello,

Sometimes I can't help a laugh when I see people comparing their dooms day kits.  What makes you think anything will ever happen? Better have one and not needing than the other way around, granted...but still, it seems a bit strange...at least as far as I'm concerned. I guess even I have my own "home Rambo" kit...but quite frankly I didn't get it because I feel I'm going to need it someday. Just a hobby. That said, many people pick their weapons like they're about to get dropped in middle of Afganistan alone. Don't get me wrong, I love the mil stuff too....but I'm never buying it because I'm thinking I might need to take pot shots at me neighbours at 400 yds. I suppose the same applies to people with CCWs...having a gun is ok...but carrying a back-up, too...lol...Like I always say to meself, if it takes more than 8 shots I shouldn't be doing it in the first place. No flame intended, I'm sure it's just a cultural difference.  

It would be so easy to flame you its not even funny.  SHTF does happen, ask survivalists in NO.  Ask Randy Weavers family.  The bank robbery in north Hollywood could have happened here,  and had it happened here a trunk rifle could have ended it with much less blood shed.  As far as having a back up, do you want a list of times when a BUG saved someones life?  And as far as taking more than 8 shots? If you only have 8 shots welcome to the pine box.  I  personally carry 46 and have considered more.  In addition to a BUG.  Life is a bitch.  Must be nice to live in Finland where nothing bad ever happens.

Sometimes I can't help but laugh at Sheeple, we think it will happen because it does happen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Zombies man! ZOMBIES AND ALIENS! THEIR GONNA GET US MAN WERE DOOMED , DOOOOOOMMMEEEEDDDDDD! WE NEED GUUUUUNNNNSSSSS GUNS & SHTF KITS TO STOP THE ZOMBIES AND ALIENS & THE ALIEN ZOMBIES OR WERE ALL GONNA BE DOOMED AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and vampires to
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
IBTL

Marpat

Zombies

Hillary 08

You could not have said anything worse.

New Orleans beer looter.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#20]
From the news I got the impression the bug-out bag guys were the first ones to get arrested / disarmed during the hurricane aftermath.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
From the news I got the impression the bug-out bag guys were the first ones to get arrested / disarmed.

Must be that liberal Finnish news
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello,

It would be so easy to flame you its not even funny.  SHTF does happen, ask survivalists in NO.  Ask Randy Weavers family.  The bank robbery in north Hollywood could have happened here,  and had it happened here a trunk rifle could have ended it with much less blood shed.  As far as having a back up, do you want a list of times when a BUG saved someones life?  And as far as taking more than 8 shots? If you only have 8 shots welcome to the pine box.  I  personally carry 46 and have considered more.  In addition to a BUG.  Life is a bitch.  Must be nice to live in Finland where nothing bad ever happens.

Fixed it for you, Dusty.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
IBTSHTF

In Before The Shit Hits The Fan

+1

"You Americans" ?¿
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

and the penguins

ETA, I'm really only worried that the local sorority will attempt a panty raid or that Sgtar15 will try and kidnap my cat and hold it for ransom.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  You said in your post TFF "Better have one and not needing than the other way around" because needing something and not having sucks especially if current circumstances prevent you from easily accessing something you need when you need it the most.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#26]
::grabs popcorn::
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Why not? Some people like it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#28]
lol...so what about the guys living in non-hurricane / earth quake areas? I suppose Osama can still be out to cap ND...?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Actually, there are 4 groups.

You mentioned one.

The 2nd group will be begging those that are prepared for assistance.

The 3rd group will be in line at the nearest FEMA camp, wondering why they ran out of $2K debit cards.

The 4th group will be looting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
lol...so what about the guys living in non-hurricane / earth quake areas? I suppose Osama can still be out to cap ND...?

See my post right above yours.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Prepare for the worst... If nothing happens you get to eat MREs and build forts out of your ammo cans.

Strange? Possibly, but not as strange as a Finn asking why some of us take sensible preparations so seriously.

Good thing you didn't post this in the Survival forum!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#33]
TFF,

You're not the first to ask this question. First of all my lovely bride of 35+ years wanted to know why my 'hobby' was so important. I think Hurricane Andrew gave her the first glimpse of what can happen when there is no government to assist. Katrina opened her eyes even wider. Now the budget seems to allow a growth spurt of my 'hobby'.

As to the 400 yard capability, damn if it dosen't feel fantastic hitting that "UN" blue beyond 300 yards!

Others here will elaborate in a more meaningful manner but here is the bottom line:

Our FFs were much more astute in the democratic process when they established our republic than any of our present day politicians. Therefore I hope I'm ready if and when I'm needed to aid in returning our country to "of the people, by the people, for the people"!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Many reasons.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hello,

FlyingFinn

If there is one thing you need to remember when posting here. Our (European) situation here is much different from the USA, and if you are going to post a question like this you have to use more tact. You seem to have a reasonable post count so I'd assume you'd know the protocol/etiquette here and you dont seem to want a flame but your post is going to get some flack.

The recent hurricanes in the US have "PROVEN" the need to be prepared wether that be arms or food or shelter....ok in reality lets re-phrase that

Shelter first
then food
then arms
IMHO...please dont flame my options

I hope you get the answers you are looking for

Regards
Taffy

I'd bet most of my money that I'm the only person in my village with a plan and reserves of food etc. I like to be more prepared than anyone else and that is not hard in the UK.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Why do you have a spare tire in the trunk of your car?

Just in case you get a flat?  When was the last time you got a flat? Why in the world would you ever need a spare if you rarely if ever get a flat?

I guess it's better to be prepared huh?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I think the biggest reason why at least for me is the fact that AMERICA is a TARGET of Islamic Terrorists. Finns apparently dont know what this is all about.  Did ya watch the two airplanes fly into the twin towers in NY? Did ya watch the airplane fly into the Pentagon? did ya watch the airplane fly into the ground in PA? Did ya watch the mass chaos in New Orleans after Katrina? did you see the damage that Katrina and Rita left behind in LA and Texas? Do you see the many million dollar  homes being burned to the ground by wild fires in Cali? Have you ever witnessed a natural disaster or a terroist act? Id guess not if I had to make that guess !!!!  The people you see on this board comparing there BoB's and gear are the ones who will still be alive after one of these disasters. They ( WE ) are the ones who go and save the asses of the not-so-prepared folks.
Make fun all you wish, but untill youv'e been there you have no clue. Your country isnt a target of the worlds biggest threat, ISLAM...............

Viper................
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Oh yeah, by the way, the letter A in American should be capitalized there, Frenchy...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's not all about natural disasters, but here's another example, a few years ago there was a large ice storm in northern New York, lots of people lost power for more than a week, in the middle of a cold winter.

People were killing each other over generators.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Heh...like I said I don't have a problem with preparation...whatever floats yer boat...over here people rather bin it and go to a bar and test their chances with a super hot blond.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't you get run-over about 20 times by the Russians?  Didn't you keep the Russians out in '39 because every citizen kept a rifle in their closet?  Wasn't that a citizen's militia?  Isn't that preparing for shtf?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Heh...like I said I don't have a problem with preparation...whatever floats yer boat...over here people rather bin it and go to a bar and test their chances with a super hot blond.

Despite what some people on this website might give you the impression of, we all don't sit in our class 47 bomb shelters and inventory our firearms and ammunition and all those other fun supplies constantly.

That's strictly a wednesday night thing.

ETA: You would get more pleasant responses if you didn't address the 1000's of us here as "You americans"
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#43]
With Europes history I would not be without a "Rambo Kit". As for here I just have self defence weapons and hunting weapons.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I think the biggest reason why at least for me is the fact that AMERICA is a TARGET of Islamic Terrorists. Finns apparently dont know what this is all about.  Did ya watch the two airplanes fly into the twin towers in NY? Did ya watch the airplane fly into the Pentagon? did ya watch the airplane fly into the ground in PA? Did ya watch the mass chaos in New Orleans after Katrina? did you see the damage that Katrina and Rita left behind in LA and Texas? Do you see the many million dollar  homes being burned to the ground by wild fires in Cali? Have you ever witnessed a natural disaster or a terroist act? Id guess not if I had to make that guess !!!!  The people you see on this board comparing there BoB's and gear are the ones who will still be alive after one of these disasters. They ( WE ) are the ones who go and save the asses of the not-so-prepared folks.
Make fun all you wish, but untill youv'e been there you have no clue. Your country isnt a target of the worlds biggest threat, ISLAM...............

Viper................

I hear you Viper
But
Please remember unless you are one of "them" you /we are all targets

Taffy the Infidel
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello,

Fixed it for you, Dusty.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Viper................

I hear you Viper
But
Please remember unless you are one of "them" you /we are all targets

Taffy the Infidel

No argument there Taffy, but which country is the BIGGEST target in the world? The one im posting from...
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I gotta add that in case of something like Katrina...I seriously doubt there would be any lootings & stuff like that...[over here] ..I am pretty confident that everyone would be helping the fellow man.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Despite what some people on this website might give you the impression of, we all don't sit in our class 47 bomb shelters and inventory our firearms and ammunition and all those other fun supplies constantly.

That's strictly a wednesday night thing. [/qoute]

hey i do it on sundays to figure out what i did over the weekend, its usually a blur
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
With Europes history I would not be without a "Rambo Kit". As for here I just have self defence weapons and hunting weapons.

Dale
Where I live in the Countryside it's great. We have crime but we dont have gangbangers roaming the streets with guns.

If there's one thing that will make your toes curl.....British football hooligans
Jesus ...these guys would kill you over what football team you support.....sad hey?
And Extremely violent.
My wife worked in Cardiff ,Wales' capital in a small shop on one of the main streets.
It was common practice when the football was on, the hoards would wander down the high street throwing paving slabs, bricks or anything at the opposing teams supporters or the Police.

They had to pull down the shutters and pray.

Crazy!... but if you are caught up in it , it is a SHTF situation because you could potentialy have to fight for your life.

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#50]
This is a big place, with lots of people. During a disaster, or conflict, we can expect to go for days without outside help. We might even be forced to defend ourselves against desperate, hostile people.

It's prudent to have a well supplied second dwelling, or at least a storage locker, in a different geographical location in case you have to abandon your home and travel lightly.

In desperate times, money is useless and goods on hand are valuable for trading.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top