Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/22/2016 2:08:00 PM EDT
Why someone would choose a  spouse that was clearly less intelligent than themselves?
It seems that it would be a pain in the ass to have to dumb things down all the time.

While my wife and myself both have different strengths  and weaknesses but they complement each other.
(she's the one gifted in the English skills not me) where she is weak in an area I'm strong and vice versa.

It's nice to be able to bounce ideas off each other even if we don't understand the finer details
we can both grasp the main concepts of the others ideas and provide input and suggestions.

Hence it brings me back to the question why someone would marry another clearly under their intellectual level?

(Edited for the English majors)
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Big tits.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Than, not then
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
How often do two people have exactly the same intelligence?  (Assuming intelligence could be precisely measured and quantified.)  Given any two people, one person will always be more intelligent than the other.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno, I'll ask my wife why she did it when she gets home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Besides the obvious looks...money....character....from a good family....land....low expectations...humility....good with money....creative....
has skills in medicine,child rearing,animal care and training,gardening,cooking,canning,sewing,knitting,shooting,making things with her hands (crafts),can handle money,is honest as the day is long,loyalty,is quiet,placid spirit,clean and fastidious,doesn't get angry easily,is able and willing to clearly communicate(does'nt get defensive),isn't willful,spiteful,back biting,gets along well with everyone,has a good reputation.

Emotional Intelligence
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Somebody has to.  If people tried to pick partners who were precise matches in terms of intelligence, people would stop reproducing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
If you did, OP, you wouldn't likely have to worry about her correcting you on your improper word usage. So, there's that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why someone would choose a  spouse that was clearly less intelligent than themselves?
It seems that it would be a pain in the ass to have to dumb things down all the time.

While my wife and myself both have different strengths  and weaknesses but they complement each other.
(she's the one gifted in the English skills not me) where she is weak in an area I'm strong and vice versa.

It's nice to be able to bounce ideas off each other even if we don't understand the finer details
we can both grasp the main concepts of the others ideas and provide input and suggestions.

Hence it brings me back to the question why someone would marry another clearly under their intellectual level?

View Quote

Have you tried asking your wife?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Glad my wife was willing to put up with my dumb ass.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's nice to be able to bounce ideas off

View Quote

FIRST POST N. I.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Because anyone as smart as me could do a lot better.....

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How often do two people have exactly the same intelligence?  (Assuming intelligence could be precisely measured and quantified.)  One person will always be more intelligent than the other.
View Quote

Yeah, there wouldn't be a lot of marriage going on if that were the case.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How often do two people have exactly the same intelligence?  (Assuming intelligence could be precisely measured and quantified.)  One person will always be more intelligent than the other.
View Quote

I'm talking somewhat close, not a clearly different range

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#16]
You are using the big head to analyze this.

Good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I married a very smart woman, and I don't think I could ever do anything else.  Having to dumb things down at work is tiresome enough.  I don't want to have to do it at home too.

My old boss is very smart, and he married a woman who isn't dumb, but she's definitely average at best.  He's got a good bit of "women were put here by God to serve men" mentality, so I don't think he'd want a wife he couldn't feel dominant over.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#18]
That FPNI thing.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh.  In that case, I think some people don't like to be challenged.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Big tits.
View Quote

Right there is the reason I married my first one. Big Tits lead to great sex. Great sex led to getting pregnant. Getting pregnant led to getting married. She acts like a little kid and isn't very bright. Pretty immature too
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Because that's all there is?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Because that's all there are.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife has three more degrees than I do......but I've got the higher IQ.  She is way better with people than I am.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Great, now i gotta look for female einsteins.....

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

FPNI
View Quote
yup

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Within how many IQ points would make you happy?

My wife is way smarter than me in many important ways - just not in science, technology, engineering or math - but damn few women are as smart as me in those areas ... maybe less than 1%. That would make my dating pool stupid small.
View Quote

So it's not an exact number, but it's pretty easy to spot when
someone in the 130 range has a  spouse in the 100 range.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I know a couple who are polar opposites in just about every way.  She's highly intelligent, type A, has to know every detail about any task, etc.  He's forgetful, has the attention span of a gnat, can't complete the simplest task without messing it up and isn't very bright at all.  

They got married while they were still in high school and somehow are still married today.  There are times they each want to kill each other but apparently the way they love each other outweighs all that.  

I could never be married to a dumb person.  I don't know how my husband does it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Different strokes I suppose.  I dated a few dumb ones...boring.

Sex is better with a smart woman.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Big tits.
View Quote

Dammit.

Beat
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife is pretty intelligent and has a great head on her shoulders. No 'dumb woman' moments from her. She's also pretty hot, too.

Finding someone in my bracket for intelligence more or less relegates me to the supergeek/ no social skills type girls. I mean I'm like retarded smart so it is difficult to comprehend for most people.

My buddy has high average intelligence and he married a girl that could get lost in a paper bag. Even he knows it, says their dog is smarter than she is. But he loves her and she loves him so whatever.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I would hate to limit myself to 0.000000001% of the female population.  I've yet to meet a woman as smart as me.  

Seriously though, there are so many other factors other than intelligence to factor into a successful relationship.

I have a masters in a very technical field and my wife has a vocational degree.  Been happily married for a long time with beautiful children!  My daughter seems to have inherited some of my brains scoring in the top 1% in math and top 5% in reading.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I could never date a stupid man.  Stupid hurts and it's a deal breaker in my book.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Most people marry their equals.

Sitting here right now I can't think of a single couple I personally know where one is a genius and the other is a moron.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Big tits.
View Quote

I LIKE TITS!

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Finding someone in my bracket for intelligence more or less relegates me to the supergeek/ no social skills type girls. I mean I'm like retarded smart so it is difficult to comprehend for most people.

View Quote

I was thinking the same thing, that if I restricted myself to women as smart as me then the dating pool would be pretty small.  

Personally I like my women smart but not too smart.... it's a narrow band.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm pretty much retarded compared to my wife.  No idea why she likes me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Control....
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#38]
So you want everyone trying to marry those that are smarter than them?  Seems a hell of a lot of people would be left holding the bag
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]
My first wife seemed a lot smarter when she used to listen to me.

It was only when she decided she wanted her own opinion that I realized how dumb she was.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]
You occasionally win arguments when you are the smartest person in the room.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I know someone who did this.
She's a fucking slave, cooks and has big tits. Go figure.
She's doesn't STFU, though. I couldn't handle it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Dated one hot but dumb as shit woman..  Could not handle it for more than a couple weeks.  Wife and I are within 5 iq points of each other, could not be happier.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Who would play scratch and sniff with me?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Control....
View Quote

That is one angle that did cross my mind....

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Friend of mine was dating a gal who wasn't the brightest bulb on the porch / sharpest tool in the shed / etc. Not only that, she didn't make up for it with looks or personality.  (He had very, very low self esteem.) I straight up warned him that she wasn't his intellectual equal and to dump her. Did he listen? Nope. Fast forward about 20 years, and they divorce. He was absolutely miserable. The last straw was her being a slut but that was only in the last year.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#46]
So what OP is saying him and his wife are not very intelligent....after all they do reside in NY.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Nice body and a kind heart?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#48]
I mean...one person in the relationship is always going to be the "dumb one" right?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Big tits.
View Quote

That first post thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Somebody has to.  If people tried to pick partners who were precise matches in terms of intelligence, people would stop reproducing.
View Quote

Yep, in fact there was documentary some years ago that pointed out the pitfalls of high IQ couples.....Can't quite remember the name.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top