Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:55:08 AM EDT
Well you probably ask why I would do such a thing, well there is a very good reason. When my wife was my GF she lived in an appartment while she went to school and had a little bed that she slept on. When she moved in with me we stored the matress and bed in my fathers shed. It stayed there until we could get our own place and start to get set. Well we went to pick it up and it smelled like vehicle exhaust from being in the shed. She wanted to use the thing in a spare room for guests but it smells like a car muffler. On to the part of using the vacume on it.

Well I dragged the matress out back of our place and put it on the deck. I then sprinkled baking soda on it to help absorbe the smell. I let it set almost all day yesterday. I then lifted the the matress off and shook it off. There was still powder so I got the vacume. No go with the attachments... wouldnt all come off. I then desided to sit the whole vacume on there so that the spinning brush rug tool could get the stuff off. The thing worked well on the silk like material. After doing this for about 5 min I got all visible traces off.

I turned the vacume off and put it inside. I then went to grab the matress. I lifted it up a little and

ZAP

I dropped the matress and staggered back. The zap I had gotten had caused my arms and my upper body to thrash violently. While my vision returned to normal I just stood there wondering WTF had just happened to me. I looked and there were no electrical cords anywhere around so I thought maybe I just pulled a nerve or something.

After looking at the vacume I realized what had happened. Apparently the rapid turning of the brush on the vaccume had rubbed the silk like matress cover and charged the springs inside it with static electicity.

So the lesson here is to BE CAREFULL. I dont know how much voltage it was but I would rather have stuck my finger in an electric socket than to do that again.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:57:06 AM EDT
Kick-ass! I'm going to get the vacuum out right now!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:58:01 AM EDT
Sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:58:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:

and do what

throw the cat on there ???
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:58:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By danpass:

and do what

ROFL!

Post video!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:01:30 AM EDT
I could see that happening even though I would have never predicted it myself at the time.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 7:05:49 AM EDT by KogaShuko]
Yeh the words "vandagraph generator" came to mind shortly after.

We made jokes about when it was safe to pick up. My wife wouldnt touch it and I decided to wait an hour. We said that if the cat jumps on it and stats doing the funky chicken we should wait longer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:04:48 AM EDT
Poor man's Van De Graff generator!

Excellent! Hmmmm My chic's a little freaky..I wonder what would happen if I.................

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:06:12 AM EDT
Note to self: Vacume matress before having sex with the wife.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:07:48 AM EDT
I dont know but I wouldnt want my dragon getting any risidual charge if it was in there when she got zapped.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:10:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KogaShuko:
I dont know but I wouldnt want my dragon getting any risidual charge if it was in there when she got zapped.

smoked sausage?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:17:57 AM EDT
That's just funny
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:24 AM EDT
You need to ground the mattress. Attach a cable to the metal in it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:38:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 7:40:59 AM EDT by jthuang]
Glad to hear you're ok.

I use my Shop Vac to vacuum my mattress and other areas. I have the 10 gallon 4.5 hp model. No turning brushes to contact the mattress.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:44:36 AM EDT
Vandegraff Generator!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:46:28 AM EDT
Thanks for the tip. I've got to try that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:10:15 AM EDT
Next time...ground your mattress.

I thought everybody knew that?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:13:26 AM EDT
If ever there was a Mythbuster's episode, this is it. You need to email them immediately.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:15:05 AM EDT
A poor man's taser, eh? Wild. I never would have seen that coming.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:20:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By g136653:
If ever there was a Mythbuster's episode, this is it. You need to email them immediately.

It would be fun to see them do that... especally when they check to see how much voltage and wattage came off that thing
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:32:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By danpass:

and do what

He could throw Mrs. PBIR on the bed. When she comes to, he could ask, "Was that good for you, dear?"
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:40:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By madmann135:

Originally Posted By g136653:

It would be fun to see them do that... especally when they check to see how much voltage and wattage came off that thing

+1

email them, see what they say
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:41:21 AM EDT
wow if that really works I think it would be a practical joke. I cant quit laughing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:47:02 AM EDT
Damn, I gotta try that tonight... just before my wife gets in the bed
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:51:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:53:32 AM EDT
I learn the coolest stuff in this place....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:53:48 AM EDT
Next time ground the mattress and vacuum.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:47:48 AM EDT
Yeh come to thank of it the vacume was a regular 2 prong polarized vacume and the matress was sitting on a blanket on the deck. When I went to pick it up my feet were bare and standing on the deck. From what I understand wood can be a good conductor and if the charges were opposite enough I became the ground between the matress and the deck.

I just couldnt beleive that an hour later it still slightly got my finger when I lifted it inside.
Top Top