Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2005 7:44:53 PM EDT
On the night the Deep Impact mission slammed a probe into comet Temple 1, NASA got more hits on their website than for ANY other mission...great pics of the inital impact, the ZILCH, NADA, ZIP, NOTHING in the way of follow-on information.

Why? The boys at NASA are keen publicity hounds, knowing that NO BUCKS...NO BUCK ROGERS...they should be milking this story for all the attention they can get, but there have been no updates, no new pictures, no press conferences, no updates to the Deep Impact website at all since the first night.

Why? I think the probe has turned up evidence that this comet, and by relation ALL comets, are not the simple "dirty snowballs" that the current paradigm mandates; instead, comets and asteroids are the same basic structure, grading into one catagory or the other by their content of volatiles.

So what? Why don't they just come forward with the raw data? You tell me...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a big conspiracy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
conspiracy

something sinister is afoot

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Because they realized they just knocked the comet into a collision course with earth and it will kill every living thing when it hits.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Because the real deep impact was in the taxpayers pockets.

They thought they could disprove creationism in space, because they failed to disprove it on earth.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They thought they could disprove creationism in space, because they failed to disprove it on earth.

Are you joking, or just truly ignorant?   (hard to tell sometimes )
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Because they probably have gigs of data to sort through before announcing their findings?.......

Maybe.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Well here in Oregon, I never hear anything from NASA.  Ever.  When something really big happens the local news might run a 1 min long comment about it.  I never hear about it before hand.  Now when I'm in FL going to school I have the NASA channel.  Love that channel.  As for the website, every time I tried to look around it most of the pics wouldn't show up and the whole thing ran really slow.  I guess they weren't expecting so much interest.  Maybe I'll go back and take a look now that some of the interest has fallen off.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Because the comet was really made out of cheese.  

Come on. You can see a coffee
cup in the fourth picture. This
was obviously filmed at an AF
base in New Mexico.

Ask OJ.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Its W's fault
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Takes time to sift through the data
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#12]
You're in California that's why. They talk about all the time on the news here in Florida.
It's getting pretty boring actually. Breakthrough this, discovery that, new paradigm this, change the way we think that...blah blah blah ad nauseam.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't it something like 80 million miles away? I don't know hjow long radio traffic over that distance, but IIRC in addition to distance there's some kind of communication relays involved - and then the raw data has to be turned into something useable - and flashy enough for PR (which is a legitimate secondary objective). I heard them on the radio a few days ago bragging (rightly) about the achievement represented by hitting something that far away with an 8(?) foot ball. My point is that I don't think it's taking an unreasonable amount of time to produce something boastworthy - to receive and collate the data.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't say it. NASA did, when they were launching the idea.

Said it may help break the mystery of the beginning/ So called, BIG BANG
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
They found a Zombie generator in the comet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I think about everyone would be interested in seeing the impact crater but NOTHING...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So that would be "ignorant" then?   Thanks for the clarification.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
On the night the Deep Impact mission slammed a probe into comet Temple 1, NASA got more hits on their website than for ANY other mission...great pics of the inital impact, the ZILCH, NADA, ZIP, NOTHING in the way of follow-on information.

Why? The boys at NASA are keen publicity hounds, knowing that NO BUCKS...NO BUCK ROGERS...they should be milking this story for all the attention they can get, but there have been no updates, no new pictures, no press conferences, no updates to the Deep Impact website at all since the first night.

Why? I think the probe has turned up evidence that this comet, and by relation ALL comets, are not the simple "dirty snowballs" that the current paradigm mandates; instead, comets and asteroids are the same basic structure, grading into one catagory or the other by their content of volatiles.

We definitely need a tinfoil smilie.

A. The team is busy analyzing the goods.
2. NASA just got a new Chief this week. Everyone's checking to see which way the wind blows.
III. A little thing called HURRICANE DENNIS is occupying some of their attention.
Four. The Shuttle is scheduled to launch in 4 days, after a halt of 2-1/2yrs

They're a little busy right now.

But you'd rather hint that they are concealing something.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Um, they admitted as much the day after impact.  They were suprised to find it was a rock instead of a ball of snow.

The reason it's not in the news is because it's not NEW anymore.  How fun is this headline.

"Scientists studying Deep Impact infromation.  Many questions raised."  If you want the details you'll need to buy some scientific journals in a few months.  It won't be reported on NBC nightly because it's not exciting to the masses.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ownage!
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Just an FYI

The sun is 93 million miles away.   Light takes aproximatly 8 min. to get from there to here.

When Mars is at it's farthest from us (on the other side of the sun from us) light from Mars takes 20 min to reach us

Radio is a form of light and travels at the same speed.

I believe the commet is about 268 million miles from us.  Which means it would take about 23 min. for one way communication.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ownage!

I'm glad I slept through darwinism training.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ownage!

Yep, he snapped his fingers and Adam and Eve just started prancing around.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ownage!

Clearly you not only slept through whatever "education" was wasted on you , but now deliberately choose to remain willfully ignorant abouot that which you so incorrectly criticize.  You know, like about the fact that evolutionary theory does not have a damn thing to do with the origins of the universe.

Jesus H. Fucking Christ.  I think people like you MUST give God a migraine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#26]
or maybe they are in the stage of the program where they analyze the data that they got?

just a thought
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#27]
DScott

With a statement like that.... Unless you have a life altering event.

The day shall come when you ask me for a drink of water and I will be so wanting to give it to you.

The bridge is out, Therefore, I cannot.

(Luke 16: 19-28)
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
DScott

The day shall come when you ask me for a drink of water and I will be so wanting to give it to you.

aww, another holy roller, how cute.

how about we start talking sense here and get back on topic?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ownage!

Clearly you not only slept through whatever "education" was wasted on you , but now deliberately choose to remain willfully ignorant abouot that which you so incorrectly criticize.  You know, like about the fact that evolutionary theory does not have a damn thing to do with the origins of the universe.

Some people INSIST that evolution is a THEORY.......well, so is gravity....

(almost everything is science is a "theory")
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
DScott

Translation: TrashHeap holds on to his beloved grudges.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
DScott

I'm just messin' with ya... nothin' personal (as this is the internot, and all), and I couldn't resist the chance to make a point.  Just like you're "under orders" to prosetylize, I occasionally feel compelled to point out errors and wrong-headedness.

You do realize that the Big Bang and Evolution have nothing to do with each other, right?

BTW, what's "the bridge is out" mean?  Is that some reference to my close-mindedness about your religious beliefs?

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ownage!

What?  

'splain, Lucy...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We definitely need a tinfoil smilie.

A. The team is busy analyzing the goods.
2. NASA just got a new Chief this week. Everyone's checking to see which way the wind blows.
III. A little thing called HURRICANE DENNIS is occupying some of their attention.
Four. The Shuttle is scheduled to launch in 4 days, after a halt of 2-1/2yrs

They're a little busy right now.

But you'd rather hint that they are concealing something.

Different teams, different states

Sunny and clear at JPL
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
DScott

And if thou dost see thine fellow man on fire, shouldst thou not urinate coupiously upon him?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

'splain, Lucy...

Science has very very very few LAWs. And they are mostly in Chemistry, Physics and a few in Geology.
Practically everything else is a theory because they can NEVER be tested sufficiently to qualify as a Law. Therefore they must be called theories.
But because they are theories doesn't make them not true. For example, gravity is a theory because it is impossible to be tested. ie: "Why does matter have mass?"
So saying that we shouldn't believe in evolution because it's only a theory is like saying that we shouldn't believe something will drop if you let go of it.
Was that clear enough?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DScott

And if thou dost see thine fellow man on fire, shouldst thou not urinate coupiously upon him?

Thy blindness arising from both eyes and mind closed preventeth thee from finding thine ass, though verily he seaketh it with both hands.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Just like you're "under orders" to prosetylize, I occasionally feel compelled to point out errors and wrong-headedness.

You do realize that the Big Bang and Evolution have nothing to do with each other, right?

You do realize that being "under orders to prosletize" and "feeling compelled to point out errors" have nothing to do with each other, right?    Unless you're ordering yourself, which is kind of weird.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

'splain, Lucy...

Science has very very very few LAWs. And they are mostly in Chemistry, Physics and a few in Geology.
Practically everything else is a theory because they can NEVER be tested sufficiently to qualify as a Law. Therefore they must be called theories.
But because they are theories doesn't make them not true. For example, gravity is a theory because it is impossible to be tested. ie: "Why does matter have mass?"
So saying that we shouldn't believe in evolution because it's only a theory is like saying that we shouldn't believe something will drop if you let go of it.
Was that clear enough?

I see... you agree with the theory of evolution then.

Me too.

Can you give me an example of one of these "laws" in science?  I didn't know there were any.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

'splain, Lucy...

Was that clear enough?

Me too.

Can you give me an example of one of these "laws" in science?  I didn't know there were any.

there was this guy named newton, and he had a couple.  perhaps you've heard of them?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Because they probably have gigs of data to sort through before announcing their findings?.......

Now there's a thought!  Science ain't magic, folks.  I'm still analyzing data taken over a year ago...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
conspiracy

something sinister is afoot

Deep Impact happened Sunday Night/Monday Morning....
The G8 Summit was 24 hours Later.... hmmmm
I think the two are related
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#42]
in before the joooowish conspiracy crowd
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

'splain, Lucy...

Was that clear enough?

Me too.

Well, Geology has a few laws. Off the top of my head most of them deal with the age (or determining the age of) the earth's lithosphere such as the law of superposition, the law of horizontal continuity etc..

Physics of course has laws like newton's law of every action has an equal or opposite reaction etc...

I don't remember the chemistry laws all that much. but i'm sure they dealt with different reations between elements, molocules etc...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just like you're "under orders" to prosetylize, I occasionally feel compelled to point out errors and wrong-headedness.

You do realize that being "under orders to prosletize" and "feeling compelled to point out errors" have nothing to do with each other, right?    Unless you're ordering yourself, which is kind of weird.  

Some would say it's the same thing... what do you think when someone tells you he's just had a long talk with God?  

What if he's pushing a shopping cart down the street?

Or at Walmart?

Different?

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#45]
NASA does have a problem:

They have big cracks in their butts.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  

'splain, Lucy...

Was that clear enough?

Me too.

Well, Geology has a few laws. Off the top of my head most of them deal with the age (or determining the age of) the earth's lithosphere such as the law of superposition, the law of horizontal continuity etc..

Physics of course has laws like newton's law of every action has an equal or opposite reaction etc...

I don't remember the chemistry laws all that much. but i'm sure they dealt with different reations between elements, molocules etc...

Doh!

Thermodynamics and all that!

My favorite has always been the entropy one... weird notion, really, where things inevitably change, becoming more like nothng, but never stop being something.  Reminds me of religion, actually!  

Or politics...
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#47]

We might have pissed someone off?
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#48]
oh, and the other problem with gravity is that we can only test it here on earth and our immediate surroundings. We have not the slightest clue how to test these theories throughout the universe in order for gravity to become a law.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#49]
because we pissed off the aliens.  Comets aren't balls of ice but alien spaceships, and we've started an intergalactic war.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Deep Impact happened Sunday Night/Monday Morning....
The G8 Summit was 24 hours Later.... hmmmm
I think the two are related

It's the damned joooooos!!!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top