Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 1/16/2006 4:10:23 PM EDT
Why do people wave their Confederate flag around? Why are they so proud of it?

What I am really getting at here is this: Do the people today that love and speak highly of the old Confederates prefer and condone slavery?

Am I all wrong and they are against slavery but support the south's general patriotism?

No flaming, I really want to know since I live in a small town with plenty of Confederate flags around.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Because the South will Rise Again!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What I am really getting at here is this: Do the people today that love and speak highly of the old Confederates prefer and condone slavery?

Am I all wrong and they are against slavery but support the south's general patriotism?

No flaming, I really want to know since I live in a small town with plenty of Confederate flags around.

First of all, aside from what any uneducated liberals say, the Civil war was about state's rights and in no way was it because of slavery.  The vast majority of people I know that fly them, wear them, have them on cars or in my case on my body, do not believe in, or condone slavery.  

I'm proud to be from the south.  I'm proud to be surrounded by ass busting farmers and ranchers.  Just the same way I'm proud to be from Arkansas.  And from the U.S.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Because its our heritage, we do not condone slavery. We were fighting for freedom that the North was raping us day by day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, aside from what any uneducated liberals say, the Civil war was about state's rights and in no way was it because of slavery.  The vast majority of people I know that fly them, wear them, have them on cars or in my case on my body, do not believe in, or condone slavery.  

I'm proud to be from the south.  I'm proud to be surrounded by ass busting farmers and ranchers.  Just the same way I'm proud to be from Arkansas.  And from the U.S.  

Well there are a lot of people that don't think the Holocaust happened, but it did.

A big part of the civil war was about opposition to slavery, which the south condoned and wanted.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You cannot be serious, Dusty.

The Civil war was almost exclusively over slavery!  Your denial of absolute facts is akin to people denying evolution, and I imagine the people that cling most tightly the one cling just as tightly to the other!

CIVIL WAR = BATTLE OVER SLAVERY
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The Confederacy lives. Yes i fly the flag, also have a skull and cross bones flag for when the need arises.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well there are a lot of people that don't think the Holocaust happened, but it did.

A big part of the civil war was about opposition to slavery, which the south condoned and wanted.

That is a horrible comparison.
www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Bunker/1163/black.html
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1- slavery has nothing to do with it
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So the Confederate Flag is big in Oregon, eh? Yeah, right, and I'm filthy rich & only work for something to do.    

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If it was about slavery why did the north also have slaves at the outset of it?  Why did black FREEDMEN in the south volunteer to fight for the south?  Quit being such sheeple and listening to liberals and research it.  The south was considered the workhorse of the country.  We supplied the vast majority of the countrys textiles and paid higher taxes.  That's what it was about.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lincoln amassed 75,000 union troops on the Virginia border months before the South struck back against northern imperialism by seizing the taxing authority at Fort Sumpter. The war had little to do with slavery until Lincoln, faced with massive northern resistance to the war effort, shifted the focus from state's rights to slavery in an attempt to appease the liberal ruling class of northern society.

The Confederate Battle Flag is a symbol of resistance against tyranny and an oppressive central government.

You should honor it and not ask such dipshit questions....

Edited to add- Southern agriculture interests were huge corporations- financed almost exclusively by union banks. Those of you who believe the spoon-fed pablum that the civil war was about slavery are truly stupid  misinfomed. Do you really think that a poor southern boy from North Carolina joined the war effort so a rich, elitist corporate plantation owner could own slaves? Here's a hint, dickwads confused persons, do some homework and leave that liberal public education bullshit behind.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS

www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html

DECLARATION OF CAUSES: February 2, 1861
A declaration of the causes which impel the State of Texas to secede from the Federal Union.

She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery--the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--a relation that had existed from the first settlement of her wilderness by the white race, and which her people intended should exist in all future time.

They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and the negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States.

Read the rest of the declaration in the link. Or, should I go on?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 The Northerners wasnt much better then southerners anyways.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Civil war was almost exclusively over slavery!  Your denial of absolute facts is akin to people denying evolution, and I imagine the people that cling most tightly the one cling just as tightly to the other!

Yet another perfect example of revisionist history & the PC that has invaded the US educational system.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#16]
State's Rights End of Story.

Read It Live It:

The South Was Right
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might want to point out that the cost of slaves being what they were, and the way that the north was raping the south, the vast majority of slave owners were in fact northerners that had properties and managers in the south.... Not that I condone slavery, I just find it laughable that people think joe dirt farmer was willgn to spen $1000 or so on a healthy young slave to do work they could just breed their own kids to do far cheaper.   Slaves were not nearly as cheap as people want to beleive.

I fly the Stars and bars because I beleive in what they fought for (State's rights, not this misidentified beleif in slavery being a reason, the North had slaves too afterall)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#18]
No , We dont condone slavery, We are mainly just proud of the fact that the Confederacy stood up against the much more powerful Union and would have beat had they resorted to unhonorable tactics to achieve victory.
No the South will not rise again, But the conservatives will.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the Confederate Flag is big in Oregon, eh? Yeah, right, and I'm filthy rich & only work for something to do.    

And being from Tennessee you would know?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

another fine product of the public skewl system

Read my previous post and be shocked...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Yanks will never get it. Proves brainwashing works by their comments.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one for the same reason I have an AR15, Because I can!  Do I support slavery?? Hell No!  Am I proud of my heritage?  Hell Yes!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#23]
The Confederate flag is about Heritage not Hate.

And the Civil War was NOT about slavery, flush out your headgear, it was about States Rights.

Gotts love the revisionist PC BS in out WONDERFUL school systems
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Saying that the Civil War was fought over slavery shows a complete lack of understanding concerning history and serves only to embarass you. How about looking into an unfair tariff burden the south was carrying. Imagine if the federal government declared today that "taxes in the blue states are 5% but they will now be 20% in the red states"

Things like that lead to a civil war...and it did
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If that was true, why did Lincoln wait for two years to declare it so?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#26]
To all the slavery whiners.  While I do not condone slavery I feel the need to point out that not only were the ENslavers black, but that when America instituted a program and country in Africa, Liberia, to return freedmen to Africa, many former SLAVES, RE-Enslaved other freedmen and sold them back.  No one seems to remember all that because it takes so much wind out of the racism arguement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]
It's kind of like gun control.  You compromise and capitulate until you finally say, "NO".   The flag is just a symbol of one group's fight against being controlled by another.  

The flag, like guns, will one day be illegal.  Then the activist will be on to their next agenda item.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet another perfect example of revisionist history & the PC that has invaded the US educational system.

+1

If you push a little harder guys you can your head deeper in the sand and you will not even hear us point out how the Civil War was caused by Slavery.

You can trace the beginnings of the conflict back to the fight over the expansion westward.  Would all these states be free or slave states?  Why was the south so freaking worried?  Because if all the new states came in as free states, eventually those new states could support laws or amendments that abolished slavery.

You talk about states rights.  The right the south was most concerned with was the state's right to own slaves.  Anything else was a minor issue.  Right to seccede from the union?  Why did they want to seccede in the first place?  Because they were loosing the battle over whether the western territories would be slave or free, and that the south would lose its power in congress to prevent anti-slavery legislation.  So like a whiney bitch they decided they would take their ball and go home.

So how did they take their ball and go home?  By firing on a federal fort in South Carolina.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's kind of like gun control.  You compromise and capitulate until you finally say, "NO".   The flag is just a symbol of one group's fight against being controlled by another.  

The flag, like guns, will one day be illegal.  Then the activist will be on to their next agenda item.

If they do ban it, I wonder if I'll be in trouble for my tattoos

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#31]
The civil war was not ONLY about slavery, but it was almost exclusively about slavery.  The civil war was an excuse to get alot of anger out over alot of issues, but you cannot deny that the major reason was slavery.

You folks can't admit that, and you call those of us who know the war was about slavery brainwashed liberal zombies.

I find that sickeningly hipocritical.  This thread is dooomed to die after 10 pages of FAR, FAR right-wing flag wavers spouting the nonsense their parents beat into them as children.  You believe the war wasn't about slavery the same as you believe in creationism.  The facts just don't matter to you in either case.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that was true, why did Lincoln wait for two years to declare it so?

To keep the boarder states in the Union in a time of war!  The ultimate goal was 1. Restoration of the Union and 2. Freeing the Slaves.  You can't do two before one, at least in the boarder states.

It was simply a matter of wartime expediancy in keeping what states he could.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:33:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
More importantly, why does Lincoln declare that the cause for the Civil War to be restoration of the union, in the Gettysburg Address?

Because the Union was broke!

Why was the Union broke?  Cause the South left b/c of worry over the ability to keep slaves in the future!

Can't free the slaves in the south unless you control the south.  How do you control the south again?  By restoring the union.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Billybob2002...how's that nanny state working out for you? Here in the south, we don't legislate that our boss must pay for healthcare, we pay for it ourselves. It seems to be working seeing that Texas will gain 2 more house seats from the blue states next census.

The battles that caused the Civil War are still being fought today. Individual freedom and personal responsibility vs. a nanny state.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#35]
why then were slave owners in kentucky and west virginia allowed to keep their slaves after siding with the union

slaves in these states were not freed until the signing of the 13th amendment at the wars end. the emancipation proclimation did exactly dick, as it freed only confederate slaves. similar to if bush declared that all cubans in cuba must wear red on tuesdays.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Most people in the South did not own slaves.  They could not afford either the price or the maintenance.  

It was a horrible economic system and one that most Southerners wanted to be rid of but couldn't.  

Remember that slaves were a capital asset.  Those that had slaves had a large part of their paper wealth tied up in them.  That was Jefferson's problem.  His enterprise -- like most farmers -- teetered on the edge all the time.  If he lost them as capital assets, his balance sheet went in the toilet.  Southerners that had slaves knew that it wasn't efficient but they were harnessed to it as much as the slaves were.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Saying that the Civil War was fought over slavery shows a complete lack of understanding concerning history and serves only to embarass you. How about looking into an unfair tariff burden the south was carrying. Imagine if the federal government declared today that "taxes in the blue states are 5% but they will now be 20% in the red states"

Things like that lead to a civil war...and it did

Minor issue compared to Slavery.

No one is saying there were not other disagreements, but the sum total of all those "other" reasons would not have led to the ACW if there had been no slavery in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The civil war was not ONLY about slavery, but it was almost exclusively about slavery.  The civil war was an excuse to get alot of anger out over alot of issues, but you cannot deny that the major reason was slavery.

You folks can't admit that, and you call those of us who know the war was about slavery brainwashed liberal zombies.

I find that sickeningly hipocritical.  This thread is dooomed to die after 10 pages of FAR, FAR right-wing flag wavers spouting the nonsense their parents beat into them as children.  You believe the war wasn't about slavery the same as you believe in creationism.  The facts just don't matter to you in either case.

If my parents beat it into me as children, then at least my parents took an interest in my future unlike libs parents.  To be honest, my dad worked and traveled for work 100+ hours a week and my mom is pretty lib.  I am proud of my southern heritage and became this way out of independant research, not brainwashing by left wingers.  The south left union because they were trampling our rights.  That's a fact that cannot be disputed, it is a widely documented historical FACT.  The North attacked us to bring us back to the union because they needed our textiles and lumber and extra taxes they were getting from us.  They had slaves to. Your wrong, get over it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm surprised you haven't died yet from internal bleeding from that heart of yours...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It has nothing to do with politics.  You need to read more -- if you really want to understand the causes of the Civil War, that is.

ETA:  Current politics, that is.  It had EVERYTHING to do with the politics of the time.  Read John Adams by McCulloch and you can see it coming even as the ink was drying on the Constitution.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I love it when the Confederacy haters get owned like this, it is very entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has nothing to do with politics.  You need to read more -- if you really want to understand the causes of the Civil War, that is.

He doesn't want to understand.  He wants to be a sheep.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If my parents beat it into me as children, then at least my parents took an interest in my future unlike libs parents.  To be honest, my dad worked and traveled for work 100+ hours a week and my mom is pretty lib.  I am proud of my southern heritage and became this way out of independant research, not brainwashing by left wingers.  The south left union because they were trampling our rights.  That's a fact that cannot be disputed, it is a widely documented historical FACT.  The North attacked us to bring us back to the union because they needed our textiles and lumber and extra taxes they were getting from us.  They had slaves to. Your wrong, get over it.

The south left union because they were trampling our rights.  
Yea the right to own slaves, or at least they soon would be with all the new western states.

That's a fact that cannot be disputed, it is a widely documented historical FACT.  
Yea the FACT that the south wanted the individual state's right to own slaves

The North attacked us to bring us back to the union because they needed our textiles and lumber and extra taxes they were getting from us.  
Oh so the NORTH started the war.  HA

Ever heard of small fort located in SC that the south FIRED on first because, like any good commander, the union officer refused to surrender to a MOB of civilians!

Talk about brainwashed

You are consistantly glossing over major events like slavery, fort sumpter and trying to say the minor differences were the only reason for the war!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I fly this flag...

And this flag...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I love it when the Confederacy haters get owned like this, it is very entertaining.

+eleventybillion
Whats even better is the bitter, presistant denial of facts and spewing of their left wing babble to "prove" their points that have been beat down time and time again.  Hell Mississippi's population is mostly black and they just voted to keep the confederate flag in their states flag. Southern black people know it's not racist, why can't liberal white people figure it out?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Since when does knowing the real reason for the Civil War equate being a libtard?  Didn't know that.  Not that the "war wasn't about slavery" crowd would generalize, sterotype or anything like that....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Because I am a LEE
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The south left union because they were trampling our rights.  
Yea the right to own slaves, or at least they soon would be with all the new western states.

That's a fact that cannot be disputed, it is a widely documented historical FACT.  
Yea the FACT that the south wanted the individual state's right to own slaves

The North attacked us to bring us back to the union because they needed our textiles and lumber and extra taxes they were getting from us.  
Oh so the NORTH started the war.  HA

Ever heard of small fort located in SC that the south FIRED on first because, like any good commander, the union officer refused to surrender to a MOB of civilians!

Talk about brainwashed

You are consistantly glossing over major events like slavery, fort sumpter and trying to say the minor differences were the only reason for the war!

I speak of facts, and you deny them, call me what you will, at least I'm educated about it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+eleventybillion
Whats even better is the bitter, presistant denial of facts and spewing of their left wing babble to "prove" their points that have been beat down time and time again.  Hell Mississippi's population is mostly black and they just voted to keep the confederate flag in their states flag. Southern black people know it's not racist, why can't liberal white people figure it out?

No one is arguing over the Confederate Battle Flag.

I and others have pointed out the real reasons for the war, and none of you have responded in detail.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top