Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:29:36 AM EDT
Over the past few months I have seen the number of trolls rise exponentially.  Why?  I know these people who post bafflingly stupid comments about the War in Iraq and ridiculously ignorant defenses of the ROP cannot actually believe what they type.  If they did, how then would they understand basic keyboard operation, not to mention actually navigate their web browser to an actual website.

Here’s an example from today:

Its nice to see biggotry is alive and well on arf.com. If there not jewish its not wrong to hate them!   --- from abbot-hayes, joined 1/2005-197 posts

This in response to this thread texas muslim video
From the same thread:

its people converting to a different religion... you guys baffle me --- from Dieter122, joined 8/2005 – 1620 posts

The above two comments on the surface may seem innocent enough, but in the context of the thread, they are rendered with an obvious desire to cause argument alone, and perhaps a desire to get the thread locked because the posters disagree with the thread's sensibility.

It’s not only the ROP and the War in Iraq but a general lack of intelligence and overall derision for the United States, its freedoms and the concerns of its citizens for others that I sense in these inane posts, and coutless others like them.

Who are these trolls?  Why do they come here but to stir up enmity and decrease the value of this site to legitimate gun-owners and lovers of freedom?

I know the mods should not stoop to the level of those at DU who lock accounts at the merest hint of disagreement with the majority.   That, of course, would make us as insecure in our beliefs as them.   But I’ll tell you, if GD continues to erode into nothing but a troll-fest, I will have to seriously think about not renewing my Membership when it comes due in July.  Which unquestioningly I had every intention of doing a few short months ago.  It's only $20.

And yes, I could spend more time in Team.  I know this.  But the number of threads is significantly less.  GD is much more active.

Perhaps I am over-reacting.  But I’ve been meaning to post a thread about this for awhile now.  I hope it's cyclical and not indicative of an overall shift in GD toward the Left.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't see what this has to do with Glocks exploding.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Brutha, if crap like THAT gets to you, you've got bigger issues than trolls to deal with, like an impending stroke or heart attack. Don't let boneheads get to you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont be so hard on the trolls.
They have their place in the scheme of things.
Take the "Billy Goats Gruff" for example, if it wasnt for , it would just be 3 Goats Crossed a Bridge.  Now what kind of story is that?
Point is we need some dissenters with different viewpoints, whack jobs with no grasp of reality, and some plain idiots to keep it lively.

Lebrew
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I just scroll right past them.  I'm here for the info and the entertaining, thoughtful, and downright hilarious threads.  I don't let the bad ones spoil the experience for me.
It does seem that I see a few names as thread starters less frequently now that the pit is gone, though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Arfcom is a pretty open place.  It's one of the attributes that makes arfcom unique among so many message boards.

It generally takes a lot to get banned.

I consider this a good thing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Plus, where else can you post IBTL in 87 threads about Chuck Norris while eating pie and bread while wearing marpat?

Can I get a +1?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought this was going to be about all of the new cop-apologists we've picked-up the past few weeks.z
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:59:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Plus, where else can you post IBTL in 87 threads about Chuck Norris while eating pie and bread while wearing marpat?

Can I get a +1?

+1 Amen brutha!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Arfcom is a pretty open place.  It's one of the attributes that makes arfcom unique among so many message boards.

That's why I like it here, besides the trolls usually get put in their place pretty quickly by the other members. Hell, misspell a word and they're on your ass in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Why so many trolls lately? Should mods start banning them?  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:04:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Trolls have provided me with reading pleasure on this site for years.

Let's face it, some of the funniest shit you've ever read here was spawned by trolls.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:09:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been posting on here since before the "crash" that required the name changes, and it was not always like this.

Sure, there was always people with the "f*ck everything" mentality, you know f*ck the police, ak-47's, blacks, police, jews, catholics, police, harleys, unions, non-unions, police, wal-mart, government, nsa, cia, atf, fbi, dea, rsvp, etc. etc. But you knew who they were and the mods deleted their posts within a few minutes if they made a "f*ck the police, they should all be fried!!" comment.

I've stayed away from here years at a time.....as evident by my post count, because it just gets ridiculous, the majority of the threads turn into........."Your a Doody head!!.......No, YOUR a Doody head!!!.......NUH UHH, YOU ARE!!!........f*ck the police...........Doody head!!!

If you do post a decent well thought out current events post that doesn't have anything to do with policemen shooting dogs or beating up roller skaters, then you get like 10 responses.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Intelligence has left the building!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:12:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just scroll right past them.  I'm here for the info and the entertaining, thoughtful, and downright hilarious threads.  I don't let the bad ones spoil the experience for me.
It does seem that I see a few names as thread starters less frequently now that the pit is gone, though.

+1

Same here... in fact, I won't even bother to open a thread with a "tricky" title unless it's been started by a known entity. What always amazes me is the ones who have only joined a month or two ago, yet have thousands of posts. That in itself should be a good indicator.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Sometimes I enjoy having the trolls around.

Other times........................
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#15]
1.  It's about freedom.  Ours = theirs.  Though they don't necessarily feel that way, it's the right way to operate.

2.  There are a lot of people on here who want to be "reasonable."  Maybe they need to see what they really are up against.  Allowing freedom for all doesn't mean one has to be subservient to them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Let's face it, some of the funniest shit you've ever read here was spawned by trolls.

Including the Squatdog thread, any of the blood ninja tales ("I put on my robe and wizard hat..."), the one going on about the alleged Navy 'shellback' and the AR that's been in the family for three generations ("Arrr, can ye smell it?"), the 87 threads....

I read this board for information and entertainment, trolls are funny despite their best attempts to be serious.  Let 'em be, you're only encouraging them with this thread.

1911fan
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:46:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Trolls don’t bother me that much, especially on the GD side where things are a bit lighter…….most of the time anyways.

What gets me is on the technical sides of the forum where people try to ask legit weapons related questions. It never fails that you get one guy who comes in, shits all over the thread with absolutely no positive input. This starts the thread down hill then the serious members loose interest and the thread dies or gets locked.

If no positive input related to the topic can be made then please, don’t respond.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:54:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Trolls have provided me with reading pleasure on this site for years.

I thought thats what they were here for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#20]

If it weren't for 's I wouldn't get to use this pic!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Bannination is too kind a fate for them.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1

I've seen on the DU board where there is an 'alert' button for each screenname

Also, disagreeing posts are outright deleted and screennames erased ala George Orwell

Here freedom is encouraged

And the CoC is very well principled (vs legalistic)

Another '+1' to Arfcom
edit: grammular
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#23]
It would quickly turn into a witch hunt.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Can I get a +1?

How about a sigline?
Pretty damned funny!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:56:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Brutha, if crap like THAT gets to you, you've got bigger issues than trolls to deal with, like an impending stroke or heart attack. Don't let boneheads get to you.

I don't think you understand. There is a terrorist with a gun to his head who forces him to read things he doesn't like.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Well in one thread I posted I was called/ accused of being:
a double felon
an imbecil
a hero
having a tenuous grasp on reality
a pervert
able to stack shit higher than almost anybody
did the right thing
did the wrong thing
immature
a high speed operator ( somebody that connects your phone call quickly?)

I thought it was pretty funny but the thread got locked before it could go on...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well in one thread I posted I was called/ accused of being:
a double felon
an imbecil
a hero
having a tenuous grasp on reality
a pervert
able to stack shit higher than almost anybody
did the right thing
did the wrong thing
immature

Does the shoe fit?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Over the past few months I have seen the number of trolls rise exponentially.  Why?  I know these people who post bafflingly stupid comments about the War in Iraq and ridiculously ignorant defenses of the ROP cannot actually believe what they type.  If they did, how then would they understand basic keyboard operation, not to mention actually navigate their web browser to an actual website.

Here’s an example from today:

Its nice to see biggotry is alive and well on arf.com. If there not jewish its not wrong to hate them!   --- from abbot-hayes, joined 1/2005-197 posts

This in response to this thread texas muslim video
From the same thread:

its people converting to a different religion... you guys baffle me --- from Dieter122, joined 8/2005 – 1620 posts

The above two comments on the surface may seem innocent enough, but in the context of the thread, they are rendered with an obvious desire to cause argument alone, and perhaps a desire to get the thread locked because the posters disagree with the thread's sensibility.

It’s not only the ROP and the War in Iraq but a general lack of intelligence and overall derision for the United States, its freedoms and the concerns of its citizens for others that I sense in these inane posts, and coutless others like them.

Who are these trolls?  Why do they come here but to stir up enmity and decrease the value of this site to legitimate gun-owners and lovers of freedom?

I know the mods should not stoop to the level of those at DU who lock accounts at the merest hint of disagreement with the majority.   That, of course, would make us as insecure in our beliefs as them.   But I’ll tell you, if GD continues to erode into nothing but a troll-fest, I will have to seriously think about not renewing my Membership when it comes due in July.  Which unquestioningly I had every intention of doing a few short months ago.  It's only $20.

And yes, I could spend more time in Team.  I know this.  But the number of threads is significantly less.  GD is much more active.

Perhaps I am over-reacting.  But I’ve been meaning to post a thread about this for awhile now.  I hope it's cyclical and not indicative of an overall shift in GD toward the Left.

Actually I think it has more to do with the general anus-hattery attitude thats allowed to brew here. Too many children with 42 in waists allowed to continue their rants raves stupid comments and hissy fits without a spanking. Acting like an adult should be acceptable around here, but in General chat (and spreading to others) its not. For shame
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/mods.jpg

TRG

Anybody else think she is INCREDIBLY cute? Shame she got her face scratched up...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#31]
So what is the definition of Troll?

Am I Troll because I am troubled by all the Gay Bashing and Latent Homophobia that permeates this board?

Am I a Troll Because I have a lot of posts in a short time.

I have Lurked ont his board for over a year, mostly in the AR15 stuff, but for laughs I would check out GD.

I finally joined so I could be part of the Hivemind.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Am I Troll because I am troubled by all the Gay Bashing and Latent Homophobia that permeates this board?

I have Lurked ont his board for over a year, mostky in the AR15 stuff, but for laughs I would check out GD.

For me, your posts talking about gay-bashing and latent homophobia in a thread about the subject would not constitute trolling.  I'm speaking more of pure political trolling or trolling just to get a thread locked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have Lurked ont his board for over a year, mostly in the AR15 stuff, but for laughs I would check out GD.

For me, your posts talking about gay-bashing and latent homophobia in a thread about the subject would not constitute trolling.  I'm speaking more of pure political trolling or trolling just to get a thread locked.

I understand the intent of yor post.

I am just giving examples of things I have said that made people call me a troll.

Do you have a list of things that you think make someone a troll?
Or if you violate the C of C just to get a thread locked, does that make you a Troll?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Trolls are great for your post count.    I say, we need more trolls.    

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was accused last night of carrying  a purse!

Lighten up Francis!

We should ban whoever made such an absurd suggestion...

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Here is exactly the kind of trolling I am talking about:

Well what color code are we at now? Funny how after the election all the chatter coming from the terroist seems to have just magicly died down. Seems like when it was election time we had a terroist scare every time Bush got some bad news. Wonder what they are trying to avert out attention from now? Maybe the Abranoff stuff. --- posted by scagnetti, joined 11/05, 64 posts in this thread:
immenent terrorist attack thread

even when confronted with the truth by macman37, scagnetti goes on:

Yeah, you are right. Gee, let me just ignore what happend in the past with all the terroist alerts that magicly ended after the election.

It does get tiresome and ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Arfcom is like going to Jr. High school.  There are those who wish to learn.

Those who try to be comedians.  And those who like to instigate.

You have to learn who are your friends and who you should avoid or not pay

attention to.  

It's nice to see that there are some very good people out there and that we have

much in common.  And that there are some people to be wary of.  

"It's a small world after all. It's a small world after all"    OK I'll quit!

jb

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#39]
They really started to increase during the '04 election, I'd say summer of 2004 and worsening.

Everyone should tell them to FOAD and then ignore them. Seriously. Each and every one of us.  I have been trying to do my part.

But don't feed the Trolls. Like your mother told you when you were younger, if you ignore them they will go away.  Only here for attention and to cause problems.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Mods can't ban anybody, so the question is moot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Arfcom is like going to Jr. High school.

When two ppl. get into it we should get into a circle and yell "Fight, Fight!"...sorta like a fight pit, er, nevermind...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#42]
CAN YE SMELL IT?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#43]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Arfcom is like going to Jr. High school.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted By squeezecockerp7m8

When two ppl. get into it we should get into a circle and yell "Fight, Fight!"...sorta like a fight pit, er, nevermind...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep! Your the kind my mom warned me about!jb
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#44]
The only time the trolls piss me off is when one of them gets a thread of mine locked. It happened last night as a matter of fact. Some troll kept responding with a whole shitload of troll icons for no reason, it got so out of hand the topic had to be locked. Imagine that, a troll posting troll icons.

I hate those trolls, but some of them are pretty funny.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
They really started to increase during the '04 election, I'd say summer of 2004 and worsening.

Everyone should tell them to FOAD and then ignore them. Seriously. Each and every one of us.  I have been trying to do my part.

But don't feed the Trolls. Like your mother told you when you were younger, if you ignore them they will go away.  Only here for attention and to cause problems.

They are infiltrating to gain alliances so when Hitlary runs in '08 they will be "Trusted members" or "Team members" with a lot of posts.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Power03,

I have to be honest, I only briefly skimmed your post.  However, my initial response to should Mods start banning trolls is NO.  The question I ask is...  If we start banning suspected Trolls at the drop of a hat what then makes ARFCOM any different from D.U. at that point?  I, for one, like the wide range of opinions we have on ARFCOM even if that wide range has narrowed some over the past few years.

~Dg84  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Attention Whores!

Kind of like wanting to hear your name on the TV or radio, then snickering among your pals when it happens.

(where's that pic of the cart-wheeling hooker?)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are infiltrating to gain alliances so when Hitlary runs in '08 they will be "Trusted members" or "Team members" with a lot of posts.

BigDozer66

That is what I think also.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The only time the trolls piss me off is when one of them gets a thread of mine locked. It happened last night as a matter of fact. Some troll kept responding with a whole shitload of troll icons for no reason, it got so out of hand the topic had to be locked. Imagine that, a troll posting troll icons.

I hate those trolls, but some of them are pretty funny.

More than one troll posting in that thread.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Attention Whores!

Kind of like wanting to hear your name on the TV or radio, then snickering among your pals when it happens.

(where's that pic of the cart-wheeling hooker?)

This one?

BigDozer66
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top