Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 8:14:55 PM EDT
  I am not going to use it for college money, so why should I join or should I? I just fell it's kinda my duty as an american. Why di you join and what branch? If  I do decide to join I want to be a police officer for a while and then maybe fly helicopters for hospital. Will military help me?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Army.  Nuff said, join ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
uhh, to defend our country?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
  I am not going to use it for college money, so why should I join or should I? I just fell it's kinda my duty as an american. Why di you join and what branch? If  I do decide to join I want to be a police officer for a while and then maybe fly helicopters for hospital. Will military help me?

Because I can't. Because others won't.

Most importantly?

Because you want to, and feel that it is right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Same reason that I did.  Because it is your DUTY.  Go be an MP for a while.  Get good at your PT and then apply for Warrant Officer School at Ft. Rucker to be a pilot.  This country needs you!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
if you have to ask, the Army doesn't need you.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
No.
You should join the MARINES!

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
What are your plans for your future?  Any college or university?  If so, what degree plan?

If not, enlisting in the Army sounds like a good place.  You can always take advantage of the money later, too.  Don't count out a degree, especially if it's free.  It helps to open doors.

If you're planning on going to college or university and it's paid for, think about becoming an officer.  The reason being is that  it sucks less and the military can better use you to your full potential...I know, I know, that's arguable.  Plus, officer rank looks better on your resume after you get out.

If you do plan on college and your degree is technical, think about a defense contractor or graduate school and a career in research.  Both of these are equally as important to national security as serving as a PFC, and not as many people can be trained to do them.

It takes all kinds to make this nation strong.  To be honest, I'd be a worthless soldier in any MOS, but I'm one of the increasingly fewer American citizens doing research in an academic setting.  Our military's technical edge didn't come from nowhere...although I'll grant you that I've had precious little to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Why join the army.......

when you can try to become a
MARINE!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh God jarheads, overcompensating again.

Army, get to pick your MOS, get a bonus$$, college money, sometimes pick your first assignment, schools such as AirAssualt and ABN in your contract yes.

Marines, MOS pick nope, bonus nope, college money unlikely, assignment nope, schools in contract nope, frontal lobotomy, yep.

Just depends on what you want, dont let anyone talk you into it, research, weigh your options and then decide. Army, Marines, AF or Navy, its all honorable service.

You jarheads know I was kidding right? Relax, Francis.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

and so my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask; what you can do for your country

John F. Kennedy

A young man that does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living. Todays military rejects include tomorrow's hardcore unemployed.

John F. Kennedy
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Bingo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You really want to do something that matches your personality and career goals. If you have a job that you hate, even if the pay is good, you'll want to change careers. That's a waste of your time.

If you don't know what to do in life, take the Myers-Briggs test. It can help you find out the kind of jobs that suit your personality. You'll most likely find careers that can suit you whether you join the Army or not. If you don't find an MOS in the Army that fits your personality type, check out the other military branches.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Get paid to play in the mud, shoot guns and blow stuff up .
And the obvious answer is your country is at war why shouldnt you join?

Eta want to be a cop? Mos 31B  MP
Chopper pilot i cant help you with im sure someone will know more about it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Go AIRFORCE we dont call it the country club for nothing!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You beat me to it.

You shouldn't have to ask yourself why.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Why should you join the Army? Be a man and admit the truth, you should join the Army because you're not good enough to make it in the Coast Guard!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]
because they're taking the lowest asvab scores ever

and because if you need a waiver for anything right now is the time for it

and the pile of money they'll give you to go to Iraq ( i mean join up)

Well that sounds all negative so let me say that  if you do decide to serve , serve with pride and wear your uniform with much pride...not everyone has the courage to step forward
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#18]
If and when you enlist any service, take advantage of the college money.  You may very likely decide that being an underling or in retail all your life isn't that appealing, and unless you get a civilian applicable skill, you just might end up there.

That and they pay you to blow things up, travel, etc.

Right now you need to realize that it's almost guaranteed for anybody joining now just about any of the services, that you will be involved either directly or indirectly in hostilities, or sent to one of the areas that is the front line against an enemy (Korea) to respond to aggression.

If you aren't willing to fight and go in harms way, the military isn't for you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I never have been in the army but a buddy of mine who was in the navy said that "the army is the cushion pad for the air force ect."  Not to hi-jack your thread but is that true?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#20]
because everyone should spend a few years learning to be part of something larger than themselves...  Service comes in many forms, but the military is always a good one if you are willing to make the commitment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#21]
If you join up and you DON'T use the money for college,
you are screwing yourself and your future family over.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#22]
"Why should I join the army?"

Because Marines don't shop for deals when it comes to serving their country/Corps. A person either wants to be a Marine or they want to be something else. If you are thinking "what's in it for me?", you are not cut out for the Marine Corps. Go Army (of one).
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:38:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Very easy answer.

You shouldnt join.  Biggest waste of time and most hypocritical organization organized, ever.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:25:22 AM EDT
[#24]
That's what I love about the Marines.  Some kid is on the fence about joining up and you cut him down out of your own sense of bitterness. Way to be.

If you have an idea of what you want to do, the Army will let you do it or give you the opportunity to do it.  If you want to be an MP the army will oblige you.  They will send you downrange.  I know of quite a few former enlisted guys who fly helicopters.  Not saying you will-but you can. If you don't, well, that's on you.

You can be a Marine and get sent to go be a cook and rant USMC BS.  But if there are things in life you want to do the Army will oblige you, as we have this medieval attitude that people will perform better doing what they like and enjoy. Silly us.

That being said, if you have not thought out what you want to do you need to ask around.  Make sure that the MP idea is what you really want to do. If you want to be a cook or a grunt or an MP the army will oblige you.  

I'm sure a lot of the chairborne couch commandos on this board knew they wanted to be trained killers when they were 8.  I have worked with a lot of good troops who were not that sure they were making the right choice when they signed up, did a tour for their country, and went on with their lives.  No shame in that.

There is a war on. You have the rest of your life to explain why you fought in it, or why you didnt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:51:49 AM EDT
[#25]
MP would help you very little if any with a police career.   After all, LE work is a VERY minor MP role, mostly being taken over by civilians. (DOD police)  MP is "Cavalry Lite" in concept these days.  I was an MP for 10 years.  

I would suggest Field Medic.  Good training you can put to use if you get out, (You qualfy for the National EMS registry) wider choice of units, (All combat arms  have them)  Good chances for promotion and you get assignments such as running the aid station for Marine Reserve units in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That's what I love about the Marines.  Some kid is on the fence about joining up and you cut him down out of your own sense of bitterness. Way to be.

That's what I love about the Army. The friendly fire.

Uhh, dude, the guys cutting him down are Army.

Marines are the ones all gung-ho about the Corps
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey, I know plenty of Soldiers that were honorably discharged years ago.

Once a servicemember, always a servicemember.

Step up to the plate, pitch in and do what most civilians won't.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You shouldn't. You probably couldn't hack it with a screen name like "Sniper 15". Go back to your video games and living vicariously through your ownership of an AR.
And if reverse psychology didn't work....
Your country is at war. Watch some video of the twin towers for a bit and get pissed off again. That's why.
You'll always wonder, the rest of your life, "What if...." if you don't.
No matter if you succeed or fail after you get out, you will always be able to say "I was a soldier".
You get to salute the flag properly.
It will make a democrat cry.
You can see big tough guys punk out when you keep on going-and realize how big a pussy can get.
Kimchi.
Free ammo.
You get to sleep with a belt fed weapon and nobody thinks you're crazy.
If you are crazy, it's good. "Man, you're freaking crazy. Awesome."
You get to wear your countries uniform. Nothing I've done give me greater pride. And other than my children, there is nothing I am prouder of having done.
You will meet some of the finest people in the world, and make friends you will consider as close as, or closer, than your family for the rest of your life.
Free explosives to play with. You'll get to smell C-4.
Rockets. Anti-tank rockets. Need I say more?
You ever fire a belt of 300 tracers in one burst? I have. With arty hitting in the background. Sweet.
Helicopter rides, full throttle, treetop level or lower, following terrain. Makes roller coasters look like shopping carts and parking lots. Plus, you do it all while carrying a machinegun, which makes everything better.
Killing asshole ROP'ers who want to destroy America.

To be fair, not everyone in the Army will do all of that.  Not even some hardcore Infantry guys will do half of that stuff.

The only part of that I've done in 3.5years is the Helo rides, carrying loaded weapons alot, the free ammo (that you hardly ever get to use), and fire some tracers on full auto but never 300 in one burst.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:03:28 PM EDT
[#30]
oh. Thank guys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Read 'Starship Troopers' by Robert Heinlein. He does a much better job of explaining what it means to be a Soldier than I can.

The short version though is that you're either one of the ones who makes our society work, or you're one of the ones who lets others do that in their place. Military service is one way of carrying part of the load. Soldiers (All military. Using 'Soldier' generically here.) are literally  guardians of our society.  It's a job that simply needs to be done. If I hadn't enlisted, I'd always feel as if I'd shirked my responsability and allowed someone else to protect me and mine when I wasn't willing to do it myself.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top