Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2002 11:25:09 AM EDT
That's how the DA is handling it anyway.

Possession of Methamphetamine is supposed to be a Felony in California. 1rst time offenders who possess less than 1 gram are supposed to get diversion.

So when we catch someone for 2 or 3 grams of meth, we book them to the felony section. That means being out of servoice for about 3 hours for the round trip to jail, PC dec, and triage. then gotta write the priority incustody report same day.

Then the Detentiton Release officer makes all that work a complete waste of time by O.R. the suspect if its a woman or cite & release if its a man. Then the DA gets the case and even if they have a stack of priors they rubber stamp it "PC 1000 eligible" anyway and recommend "diversion".

So why not make it official, quit wasting the patrol cops time, and make Methamphetamine possession a simple cite & relase in the field misdemeanor?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Why the hell are the letting those guys get away with that? Meth is some bad stuff.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I deal with meth a lot.  Meth is extremely dangerous.  If you have ever seen someone who has used meth for a long time, you can't even recognize them.   A long time for meth is about a year.  Here in Missouri meth is a felony, any amount.  I get a headache when I am around meth for very long.  (I'm not sure if it is phsycological or physical)  Meth is dangerous.  People might use marijuana for years with little or no bad effects (aside from impairement).  However, I have never met an old meth user.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Very quietly drop a dime (or should I say quarter) to someone in your local media. This is how we fix s**ty DA's around here. Give them the details of as many cases as you can. Names, dates and the name of the Deputy DA who is doing it. Try to point them at an individual DDA. This way when it hits the paper your elected DA can save face by hammering the DDA that is doing this. We have done this on several occasions. Being a childhood friend of the editor does not hurt.

Hell, even Davis is hard on crime. The tax payers do not like this kind of crap going on.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 2:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
A couple grams of Meth around here will get you 2-10. We can only cite and release for the most minor offense, everything else requires a custody arrest.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Very quietly drop a dime
View Quote

Rogerrrrrrrrrrr
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#7]
ar15fan works in so cal <----

(me thinks his beat is a little different than the average LEO)
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:15:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Meth or "Ice" as we call it here in Hawaii is a BIG PROBLEM.

Need I say more...........cite and release.........ha.

Too bad I can't really say what I think society should do with those that abuse drugs, then claim it's a victimless crime.

RANT TIME, WARNING:  ("You" does not refer to AR15fan, only to those that would legalize drugs)

If, it were just cite and release why even bother.............make it legal.........hell, why try to impose my values on you, you want to use drugs fine, just don't come to me when you're on the bottom and don't ask me for help.  As for your kids, tooooo bad, they are not mine.

But, a DEMOCRAT will take my tax money and spend it on you and your kids...........ah FORGET I said anything.  There are just tooooo  many DEMOCRATS in Hawaii.

Personal responsibility wouldn't work here unless there was REAL responsibility being exercised.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#10]
   Hmmm...sad when the jails can't/won't hold the offenders. But that doesn't mean we should give up what little capability we have to serve justice. Even sadder when prosecutors won't do their job.

Guys, we're in a lose/lose profession if we do it eliminate society's woes and cease the pangs that crime causes our communities. We all fight a losing battle every day. Don't become discouraged when the system lets you down.

I've never seen the phos. method in person, but we have every method known to man here in AR.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Slightly of the topic, has anyone personally seen the "red pee" or phosphorus method of cooking it?  We only have the Anhydrous Ammonia method.
Art in KY
View Quote

Oh great.... Playing with phosphorous... Well, too bad someone can't convince them to play with the white stuff (WP) instead (unless it's your job to put out the resulting fire)...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock918
Yes that is pretty much ALL we see out here on the west coast. My unit is housed in the same small building with the Narc unit. We help them on their warrants and they help out on ours. We see supper labs all the time. They are all Red P. Most of our crank has a slight pink hue to it because of the Red P. I helped them carry out a flask and mantel that barely fit in the back of my F-150. And they were cooking on three of these. I do not remember how many pounds they could cook at a time but is was huge.

The Anhydrous Ammonia labs are user labs around here (AKA Bevis and Butthead or Nazi labs). We kind of get excited when we find one because it is something different.

I have been on S/W's when we found a standing arbor press being used to press out pound blocks. Our cookers used to like to use MSM as a cutter till we did some tings to change that. E-mail me and I will go into further detail.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Here meth is a BIG problem, but just about any amount will get you locked up...the boys in Narcotic took down two labs yesterday......
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Slightly of the topic, has anyone personally seen the "red pee" or phosphorus method of cooking it? We only have the Anhydrous Ammonia method.
Art in KY

In Idaho we've seen both the red and white phosphorous methods used.  An industrial company on the east side of the state has had quite a bit of white phos diverted for production of meth, although it has slowed recently.  

One of the methods to obtain red p that we've seen is that the cooks buy older road safety flares from junkyards.  The other is by using match tips from paper matches.

Combine these items with iodine crystals (from hydrogen peroxide and 7% tincture iodine) and ephedrine or pseudo-ephedrine (in proper sequences and amounts, monitoring the PH) and voila, meth!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top