Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 6:29:26 PM EDT
Action of 9 February 1945

It's a pretty incredible story: with a dose of good fortune helped by stunning boldness, a young, heroic British submarine captain carried out a top secret mission to intercept a superior German U-boat on its own top secret mission to deliver highly sensitive technology to Imperial Japan.

"The action was the first and so far only battle ever to have been fought entirely under water."
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely a better story than the fake U-571.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Balls of steel were in that brit sub commanders pants.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed. But Hollywood can't do anything except reboots.

They'd reboot "Red October" or "U-571" before they'd gamble on (GASP) a real story from the past.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
they did a whole series on a brash young sub commander

except it was in space

and his name was Kirk
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed. But Hollywood can't do anything except reboots.

They'd reboot "Red October" or "U-571" before they'd gamble on (GASP) a real story from the past.
View Quote

Either that or they would have to add a love interest and make the lead actor conflicted about war and killing.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Definitely a better story than the fake U-571.
View Quote

What ??? Say it ain't so.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
There was a story about this on PBS a while back if I remember...

I think the Nazi sub had lots of Mercury onboard to trade with the Japanese and the concern was the canisters would corrode and release the mercury doing damage to fishing grounds...

The British Sub Commander fired a spread of torpedo to different depths and caught the U-boat as it was in decent.   No homing torpedos or guidance, just lining up the shot and the depth to hit the bullseye...

The U-Boat definitely outclassed the British Sub, but better intelligence and command trumped technology

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The math.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

There was a story about this on PBS a while back if I remember...

I think the Nazi sub had lots of Mercury onboard to trade with the Japanese and the concern was the canisters would corrode and release the mercury doing damage to fishing grounds...

The British Sub Commander fired a spread of torpedo to different depths and caught the U-boat as it was in decent.   No homing torpedos or guidance, just lining up the shot and the depth to hit the bullseye...

The U-Boat definitely outclassed the British Sub, but better intelligence and command trumped technology

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
I think I seen this on dicovery/history channel,great story.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Great story!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a shit ton of great story's waiting to be made into great movies or a mini series, but Hollywood would
rather do their best Micheal Bolton and remake shit that was a classic and should be left alone, only to fuck it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top