Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2001 7:59:00 AM EDT
Cash seized from teenager who was sent home to Texas. How can they do this w/out evidence of crime. Is carrying cash against the law? Granted it's improbable that a 16 yr old would have access to that, but where's the evidence of wrongdoing?
[url]http://www.cjonline.com/stories/060701/kan_cashseizure.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It is called "The War On Drugs" my friend.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The department needs some new equipment.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The FEDERAL government has been working steadily for many years to make it more difficult to keep assets and do transactions in cash.  You can't deposit to or withdraw from a bank more than $10,000 without filling out a Currency Transaction Report that goes to the Treasury Department.  Doing multiple smaller transactions to avoid filling out a CTR is a major federal felony.

You can't walk into the country with more than $3,000 without completing a similar form.  They stopped printing $500 bills in the '60s.

I don't know about Texas law, but the cops are probably within their state rights to seize anything within arm's reach when they bust someone on suspicion of drug dealing or manufacturing.

Even if no charges are ever filed, you can bet the kid will have a long, hard battle to get that money back.  The feds will probably look for undocumented large cash transactions.  The investigation could last many months.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Kid, the search turned up NO evidence of contraband, so doesn't that negate any drug investigation? The drug dog "sniffed" out nothing but cash. No drug evidence=no crime. Possession of cash in itself is a crime?
I guess I'd better empty my mattress very slowly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kid, the search turned up NO evidence of contraband, so doesn't that negate any drug investigation? The drug dog "sniffed" out nothing but cash. No drug evidence=no crime. Possession of cash in itself is a crime?
View Quote
                                       Take his age into consideration......also, there most likely is more to the incident than reported here....[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen some segments on news magazine type shows over the years, addressing this issue.
There are hundreds of people, if not thousands, if not tens of thousands, that have cash confiscated by police every year, for no other reason than the police think you might do something illegal.
There are people on vacation who have had all their money taken by police, and then have difficulty just getting home. And there's nothing you can do about it.
Some years ago there was proposed legislation that would rein in this type of arbitrary  confiscation.
I don't know what ever became of the effort.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By black&green:
Take his age into consideration......also, there most likely is more to the incident than reported here....[smoke]
View Quote

It is called assett forfeiture. The government has taken the position that since property has no rights it can be seized and the owner has to prove that said property was not obtained by illegal means.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot of small bills have traces of cocaine on them.  I have read where a man had $600,000 in his car and the K-9 found it because there was so much cocaine on it.  Don't ask me why he had $600,000 in his car, but he doesn't have it anymore.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Asset forfeiture is a tool LEOs use to wreck your "criminal empire" and fund their toys like FLIR, helicopters, speedboats, and such.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Talk about taking away rights.  Many here support the 'war on drugs', but many are losing their rights as a result.  Awhile back in Louisiana, there was an elderly lady on her way to a car dealership to trade in her car on a new one.  She had several thousand dollars in cash (a lot of older folks don't trust banks).  She was pulled over and her cash confiscated.  She was not arrested.  I don't know if she ever got it back.  Asset forfeiture is used a lot to deprive law abiding citizens of their money, because they might commit a crime with the money.  Using the same logic, they could start claiming our guns are 'assets' which may be used in a crime.  If we are concerned about our rights as gun owners, we should also be concerned about other rights that are being lost.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
View Quote

It is called assett forfeiture. The government has taken the position that since property has no rights it can be seized and the owner has to prove that said property was not obtained by illegal means.
View Quote
                                            Imbro...i can`t see anything wrong with it as long as the leo`s involved are common sense types....problem is there are some that are not.....[smoke].....p.s...i don`t think it is a "new" law/policy
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A lot of small bills have traces of cocaine on them.  I have read where a man had $600,000 in his car and the K-9 found it because there was so much cocaine on it.  Don't ask me why he had $600,000 in his car, but he doesn't have it anymore.
View Quote
                                           M15....this is where the dog gets into the act and there is traces of ...whatever...that the k9 picks up, so the leo`s involved take action related to "reasonable doubt" this and the age-cash situation,....anybody with half a brain can add it....thus the meaning of my post......[thinking]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, guilty until proven innocent!
View Quote
                                         Whether we like it or not, that IS the leo approach to any given situation.....(just LOVE those after the fact boys)....really...most of them are ok...well 50/50 maybe.....[smash]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
This is one of four or five subjects that REALLY angries up my blood.  No matter WHAT the "law" says, this is illegal and unconcienable policy.  The reign of guilty until proven innocent, in many more respects than this as well, is creeping upon us at a steady rate.  And WE allow it!  There is no hue and cry, there is little OUTRAGE!  And ya know what?  It ain't gonna change any time soon.  We are FAR too willing to allow our liberty to slide away in the name of "security".  The only way to stop this is to remove the franchise of the guaranteed electorate, i.e. the "Government Dependent".  That's right, I said if you are a non-contributor, you should not have a vote.  That is the ONLY reason so many liberals, of both branches, are in office.  Don't fool yourself into thinking the republicans are your friends, either, most actions such as RICO and what not of this nature are traceable to THEM!  Until we get off of our collective asses and take back the RIGHTS we had lo so many years ago, get used to hearing about this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#17]
On a program I saw, one of the proponents of asset confiscation, who was a high ranking police officer, was asked to cooperate in a
demonstration. He took all the cash in his own wallet and turned it over to the show's producers. All the bills tested positive for cocaine.
The reporter gave some statistic that claimed a large percentage of all currency in circulation is contaminated with cocaine residue.

Cop didn't have much to say.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the eyes of BigBrother.com/IRS, yes, posession of cash is a crime [B]If you can't show proof of it's origin.[/B]  If you really want your funds free from gov't.com intrusion, you need to go offshore.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've seen some segments on news magazine type shows over the years, addressing this issue.
There are hundreds of people, if not thousands, if not tens of thousands, that have cash confiscated by police every year, for no other reason than the police think you might do something illegal.
There are people on vacation who have had all their money taken by police, and then have difficulty just getting home. And there's nothing you can do about it.
Some years ago there was proposed legislation that would rein in this type of arbitrary  confiscation.
I don't know what ever became of the effort.
View Quote

They do it in Louisiana on I-10 all the time. Seize the vehicles also
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife always brings home the CDC & AMA etc., journal articles and a recent article about foreign substances in unlikely places always sticks out in my mind.

The report found that there was/were:

[B]Lung material on the mouthpiece of most public phones (makes you want to quit smoking or at least use a cel-phone),

Feces on most communal surfaces, like; doorknobs (especially bathroom doorknobs), movietheater seat armrests, currency (both coin and bill), most public countertops, and one of the highest levels found - candy dishes at resturaunts.

Semen, vaginal secretions, and feces on over 90% of bed coverings in Hotels/Motels (from 5 star down to Motel Sleaze for $19.95 a night).

And, to the point of this post, 70% of all paper currency had traces of cocaine on it.  The report did note that the majority of the 30% that did not have traces were newer bills and hadn't been around long enough to pick it up.[/B]

And yes, after I wash my hands in the john, I use a paper towel to open the door.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Try to buy an overseas airline ticket same day at the airport with cash!!! You will not even make it to the gate before being arrested.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
What ever happened to "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave? Seems like the law enforcement community has forgotten all about rights and a person's right to conduct business via cash. Yet when you get a ticket out of state they usually want you to pay the fine in CASH before letting you go on your way. At least in some of the states I've been in. Sure drugs are bad. So is slavery.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn, am I finally busting a hole through that wall I'm banging my head against?

View Quote

ROTFLMFAO!!!!  Sweep, you're not the only one with a tender forehead!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#24]
In Switzerland you withdraw or deposit suitcases of cash at banks and no one bats an eye.  Kinda like iN Scarface when they're depositing dishwasher boxes full of 100's in Miami banks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In Switzerland you withdraw or deposit suitcases of cash at banks and no one bats an eye.  Kinda like iN Scarface when they're depositing dishwasher boxes full of 100's in Miami banks.
View Quote

Isn't that the same country where every male citizen is assigned an M-16 with 100 rounds of ammo?  If it wasn't so expensive, it would be paradise.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Why is this legal? Well for one, it isn't. But when has that stopped the government before? Oh,  the real answer to you question is "its for the children"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top