Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2004 2:31:14 PM EDT
During the debates or in an interview there was a question posed to the candidates running for president about what can we do to help with the spread of AIDS in Africa.  

How is this "our" problem?  Why is it not the countries that are actually involved problem?  I'm not a strong isolationist theory type but damn, when are we going to tell these freeloading moochers to take care of their own people?  What's in it for us if AIDS is controlled in other countries?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
its considerd a world problem.

the world expects us to do something about it.

no. its not directly americas problem.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Because the CIA developed the disease, silly.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
All the worlds problems are ours to solve. Ask the Dems, they'll tell you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#4]
especially when US corporations come up with drugs to fight it and are then bitched at because they have this strange aversion to taking a loss by selling their drugs for less than it cost to develop them...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think anyone is REALLY interested in solving Africa's AIDS problem - but I think people do want to get out in front of it BEFORE it becomes our problem.  My personal nightmare is HIV mutating into a virus that is spread like the common cold/flu.

If that happens, we'll certainly appreciate the work/funding we spent now to develop a vaccine and better treatments.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC a big part of the problem is behavior.

Like sodomizing children without the virus because they believe that will cure them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Use the third world countries for test specimens for AIDS drugs.  What have they got to lose?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I like to look at it as the Aids SOLUTION, It is really easy not to get AIDS, if your too dumb/imoral not to then, i don't see the need to spend my money to help you live longer so you can continue to spred AIDS.

Sory if its harsh but i don't realy care.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I like to look at it as the Aids SOLUTION, It is really easy not to get AIDS, if your too dumb/imoral not to then, i don't see the need to spend my money to help you live longer so you can continue to spred AIDS.

Lots of monogamous wives of assholes husbands who cheat on them or see prostitutes without their wives knowing get it.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of monogamous wives of assholes husbands who cheat on them or see prostitutes without their wives knowing get it.  

True, so only they get help
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
America steps in=we're oppressive imperialists
America doesn't step in=we're lazy, selfish, and mean spirited
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Its just some more of that altruistic collectivist bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't think anyone is REALLY interested in solving Africa's AIDS problem - but I think people do want to get out in front of it BEFORE it becomes our problem.  My personal nightmare is HIV mutating into a virus that is spread like the common cold/flu.

If that happens, we'll certainly appreciate the work/funding we spent now to develop a vaccine and better treatments.

DK-Prof,

We can't even cure the common cold, and HIV mutates several times more quickly.  The chances of developing a vaccine are practically none, barring absolute dumb luck.

Behavioral changes are 100% more effective in dealing with this disease.  If people stopped doing illegal drugs and learned to be chaste until marriage (including fidelity during marriage), we'd wipe out the disease in our lifetime.

That's why I feel that AID's is one of the scourges mentioned in the scriptures.  Righteous living is the simple answer to solve the problem.  Are there innocents who get the disease today?  Sure, but usually as the result of wicked behavior of someone else.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
There are a some first responders and medical professionals that contract HIV/AIDS from exposures to contaminated body fluids. And wives / husbands that have been cheated on.

Africa's AIDS problem is a problem because AIDS is killing off the folks that would be in the armies of those countries in Africa. When those countires don't have armies the rulers can be taken out of power and groups like the Taliban can come in. AIDS destableizing a country creates a power vaccume.

And there are some resources in Africa we don't want to fall into the hands of rouge regimes. Africa is rich in diamonds, gold, uranium and oil. All of which could be used by a Taliban like regime to fund it's terrorist war. Remeber with all of the young an middle aged men dieing from AIDS who is going to fight the rouge regime out of there country.

Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Is it true that there are some african prostitutes that seem to have an "imunity"/resitance to the hiv virous?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Africa's AIDS problem is a problem because AIDS is killing off the folks that would be in the armies of those countries in Africa. When those countires don't have armies the rulers can be taken out of power and groups like the Taliban can come in.
If you believe that then you should be over at DUh.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Because we are assholes if we don't try to solve all the worlds problems for them. And no matter how we go about helping the world we will be assholes anyway cuse we don't do it the way they like it. Everything is America's fault.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Because Africa sits around on its collective ass and waits for handouts to solve its problems. Should wee manage to resolve AIDS...we won't BTW...they will have several others waiting in the wings. These are savages, who have no idea about modern science or what really happens with sex...the Hell with them, let them die!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]
It all Geo. Bush's fault.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tinypic.com/ej9n4

Ummmmmm....

That is an actual public service pamphlet issuance by the Aboriginal Health Workers of Australia.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#24]
might be
I remember in highschool we learned that there have been reports of people the in the US that have been HIV+ for 20 years and are still in perfect health, they haven't reached the count that technically indicates aids and have never caught any of the opportunist diseases/parasites/funguses that aids people normally get

Quoted:
Is it true that there are some african prostitutes that seem to have an "imunity"/resitance to the hiv virous?

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I've heard of cases when infants are born with HIV and "grow out of it."  Meaning that in later months, they tested negative.  Another concern with newborns is breast feeding on HIV pos. mothers.  I don't remember what the final call was on that but I'd bet the courts ordered hospital to warn mothers about it.

Quoted:
might be
I remember in highschool we learned that there have been reports of people the in the US that have been HIV+ for 20 years and are still in perfect health, they haven't reached the count that technically indicates aids and have never caught any of the opportunist diseases/parasites/funguses that aids people normally get

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Africa's AIDS problem is a problem because AIDS is killing off the folks that would be in the armies of those countries in Africa. When those countires don't have armies the rulers can be taken out of power and groups like the Taliban can come in.

Thats a great rebuttal. If you think I am so full of shit or I am so sort of DUer check out this article written by the US State Department on what the US is doing to stop HIV/AIDS in African militaries and why

AIDS Among African Militaries Concerns Former Top U.S. Commander

In fact the man who has brought this scenario up is a US Marine and former deputy director of  EUCOM. So there is some strategic merit to my argument, I really don't give a shit about Africa. I just don't want to have to deal with the place if it is invaded by Jihadi's while the rest of the populatioin is dieing from AIDS.

Edited for spelling, capitalization, etc...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Use a rubber! There, problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a great rebuttal. If you think I am so full of shit or I am so sort of DUer check out this article written by the US State Department on what the US is doing to stop HIV/AIDS in African militaries and why

AIDS Among African Militaries Concerns Former Top U.S. Commander

Infact the man who is brought this scenario up is a US Marine and former deputy director of  EUCOM. So there is some strategic merit to my argument, I really don't give a shit about Africa. I just don't want to have to deal with the place if it is invaded by Jihadi's while the rest of the populatioin is dieing from AIDS.

Hmmm...maybe that's one of the catalysts for President Bush to donate $15 Billion to combat AIDS in that continent.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Kim du Toit: Let Africa Sink
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I really don't give a shit about Africa.

On that, we can agree on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
its considerd a world problem.

the world expects us to do something about it.

no. its not directly americas problem.

The world also expects the U.S. to sit idly by while Hamas attacks Israel, while Saddam harbored Al-Qaeda terrorists and training camps, while North Korea develops weapon grade plutonium. So the rest of the world can go sit on their thumbs while I watch this clusterfuck called Africa destory itself through genocide, disease, and famine. Africa and the UN really fucked themselves when they outlawed legitimate mercenary companies to protect African countries and states.

AIDS: It's not so much of an epidemic as it is a thinning of the herd.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Aids is primarily a disease caught and spread by gay people.  So, liberals push it as a common problem to get everyone involved in helping gay people have safer sex.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Africa is a festering shithole for everyone except: The Warlords, some of the rich whites in South Africa, and thats about it.

Besides, black on white rape is going up by the minute and mugging, car-jacking, etc. is so damn high you couldn't walk down the street without brandishing your weapon to ward off violence. Sad to say, but fuck Africa and let all those desperate enough for diamonds deal with it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I am my brother's keeper.

The Good Samaritan parable.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

The list goes on and on.  What kind of question is that to ask?  You should be ashamed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"All your AIDS are belong to us"!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#39]
nuke it from orbit it's the only way to be sure.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
America steps in=we're oppressive imperialists
America doesn't step in=we're lazy, selfish, and mean spirited

Bingo!!!!

Damned if we do and Damned if we don't.
We are so evil and vile and...and...oh you know, just mean spirited bastards in this country!

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Its just some more of that altruistic collectivist bullshit.

Exactly.

Oh, and IBTL.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#42]
originally posted by tbk1

I thought ebola was going to kill us all. That has so far been a disappointment.

You're disappointed?

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Before:

And After:

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I've heard of cases when infants are born with HIV and "grow out of it."  Meaning that in later months, they tested negative.  Another concern with newborns is breast feeding on HIV pos. mothers.  I don't remember what the final call was on that but I'd bet the courts ordered hospital to warn mothers about it.

Quoted:
might be

Quoted:

Approximately 1% of Caucasians have a gene mutation that confers 100% immunity to HIV infection and confers resistance to disease progression in 1 in 5 infected individuals.

And it looks like some kind of similar resistance has been found in chinese folk:www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-10/01/content_379267.htm

As we search, discover and learn more about HIV and how it is blocked at the molecular level,  we'll probably find similar genetic resistances in most populations; though the frequency of their appearance may vary between different gene pools.  One thing's for sure:  Any African with the genes to confer immunity to HIV/AIDS is reeeeeally being selected for these days.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#45]
It's our fault because Nelson Mandela says so.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Guess what? It's NOT our problem to solve. Let some of the other countries that won't cooperate with us otherwise take care of Africa. Damn, it's about time some of the other so-called U.N. countries did SOMETHING...
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Let's not forget some of the genius that Africa has brought us recently,  like Nigerians refusing to administer the polio vaccine (I think it was polio - correct me if I'm wrong, someone) because they thought the vaccine was a U.S. plot to sterilize them

Africa really is the asshole of the world - a horrible shithole !
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Im not apologizing for anyone here, but why is Africa is such a shitty mess today? One of my professors blamed it on the western world, saying many countries had dependent colonies in Africa, then for whatever reason just abandoned them, leaving them to rule themselves. Is this even close? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I think Adolf figure out how to solve problems having to do with a particular population 60 years ago.

Build some ovens in Afrika and fire them up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top