Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2013 5:57:52 AM EDT
Cows are vegitarian, and you can eat beef rare. Pigs and chickens eat nasty shit and you have to cook it well, but its good for you?
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
red meat has higher levels of fat and cholesterol throughout.  The whiter the meat, the less cholesterol and fat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]

I don't think it's any worse as long as you get lean cuts of beef.  Unfortunately, those parts often don't taste as good. (Except for filet of course)  Even pork isn't healthy if you have a lot of pork fat with it, or chicken if you eat the skin/fat with it.  I think this stems from the fact that our bodies are made to eat lean wild animals, although that doesn't completely explain the Inuit and their whale blubber.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
red meat has higher levels of fat and cholesterol throughout.  The whiter the meat, the less cholesterol and fat.

Unless it's something like venison. Wild game meat tends to have far less marbling [fat] and low levels of cholesterol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe the chicken and pork producers have better lobbyists?

Cook everything well done and it helps reduce the fat and grease.  Try to eat the lean meats (lean ground beef, ground turkey and chicken breast) and you will be helping yourself out while eating some tasty meat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#5]
It's the way it's being allowed to be cultured by the FDA. Then again alot of studies have really concluded that we just eat too high of quantity of meats while ignoring other dietary items like veggies and nuts.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#6]
It's just like anything else.  Red meat supposedly has better levels of things like zinc and other shit that apparently we need to be healthy.  Everything in moderation, except beer, even Jesus drank alcohol all the time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Have you looked at the nutrition label? There's only a difference of 6% between chest drop content

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Read here

1. Does eating red meat increase the risk of cancer and heart disease?

A: For heart disease, the answer is pretty clear. Some red meats are high in saturated fat, which raises blood cholesterol. High levels of LDL cholesterol increase the risk of heart disease.

When it comes to cancer, the answer is not so clear. Many researchers say it does raise the risk, especially for colorectal cancer.

A recent National Institutes of Health-AARP study of more than a half-million older Americans concluded that people who ate the most red meat and processed meat over a 10-year-period were likely to die sooner than those who ate smaller amounts. Those who ate about 4 ounces of red meat a day were more likely to die of cancer or heart disease than those who ate the least, about a half-ounce a day. Epidemiologists classified the increased risk as “modest” in the study.

The meat industry contends there is no link between red meat, processed meats, and cancer, and says that lean red meat fits into a heart-healthy diet. A meat industry spokeswoman criticized the design of the NIH-AARP study, saying that studies that rely on participants to recall what foods they eat cannot prove cause and effect. “Many of these suggestions could be nothing more than statistical noise,” says Janet Riley, a senior vice president of the American Meat Institute, a trade group.

But many studies have found similar links. Another one that followed more than 72,000 women for 18 years found that those who ate a Western-style diet high in red and processed meats, desserts, refined grains, and French fries had an increased risk of heart disease, cancer, and death from other causes.

“The association between consumption of red and processed meats and cancer, particularly colorectal cancer, is very consistent,” says Marji McCullough, PhD, a nutritional epidemiologist with the American Cancer Society.

After a systemic review of scientific studies, an expert panel of the World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research concluded in 2007 that “red or processed meats are convincing or probable sources of some cancers.” Their report says evidence is convincing for a link between red meat, processed meat, and colorectal cancer, and limited but suggestive for links to lung, esophageal, stomach, pancreatic, and endometrial cancers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Why is red meat supposed to be bad for you, but pork and chicken are not?

I've always been told pork was the "worst" of the three.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:09:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Beef is a good thing. God gave us cattle for food. I'm hungry now. Nom nom.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I've honestly stopped giving a fuck. I eat what I like and what I enjoy (in moderation, of course) but if i want a damn steak topped with an overeasy egg on a bed of bacon I'm going to have just that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Beef is fine. It's the refined flour products that will kill ya. Well old age will kill you eventually.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#13]

PETA, pigs and birds are lower on their list, fish get last place.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#14]
The fewer legs it has the better it is for you.

fish>poultry>beef/pork

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless it's something like venison. Wild game meat tends to have far less marbling [fat] and low levels of cholesterol.

or Buffalo, it is the Healthy Red Meat  

In fact I am having home made seasoned ground Buffalo meat burritos for lunch today.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Cows are vegitarian, and you can eat beef rare. Pigs and chickens eat nasty shit and you have to cook it well, but its good for you?

we feed cattle chicken litter, or in other words, chicken shit

how's that steak tasting now?

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:24:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A recent National Institutes of Health-AARP study of more than a half-million older Americans concluded that people who ate the most red meat and processed meat over a 10-year-period were likely to die sooner than those who ate smaller amounts. Those who ate about 4 ounces of red meat a day were more likely to die of cancer or heart disease than those who ate the least, about a half-ounce a day. Epidemiologists classified the increased risk as “modest” in the study.

Only a half ounce of meat a day? Is that like half of a meatball or something?
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If one reads Genesis, ALL the animals ate grass herbs etc.  The best diet is the Genesis diet for humans.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#19]
The issue stems from large land ownership.  Corn lobbyists are a very strong group also hence the CORN SCARE, corn oil, corn syrup, corn fed animals, etc. being VERY BAD or you now.  Before it was the nasty corn it was beef, dairy etc.  "WOLVES" is another land grab.  Primary issue is to fuck with private land ownership and put the .Gov in charge.  BEEF.....It's what's for dinner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If one reads Genesis, ALL the animals ate grass herbs etc.  The best diet is the Genesis diet for humans.

Then why do vegetarians always look sickly?
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That didn't answer his question. The cholesterol only affects you if you eat a lot of carbs also. Eating nothing but steak and eggs will result in amazing readings on these numbers, and it'll piss most doctors off that they were wrong.  Fat, meh, most gets passed through you, and it doesn't make you fat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Too much pork will give you gout, and gout is horrible.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Manipulating the market, how does it work?
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

we feed cattle chicken litter, or in other words, chicken shit

how's that steak tasting now?

Fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That didn't answer his question. The cholesterol only affects you if you eat a lot of carbs also. Eating nothing but steak and eggs will result in amazing readings on these numbers, and it'll piss most doctors off that they were wrong.  Fat, meh, most gets passed through you, and it doesn't make you fat.

You speak the truth, as we currently understand it.  And it's fairly complicated stuff.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes ALL the animals ate grass. so wolves coyotes foxes racoons lions tigers and bears (oh my) ate grass. yeah ok.

animals that eat vegetables and grasses are called herbivores. they are also called prey and dinner by carnivores.

and I just ate a bunch of bacon and eggs !
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#27]

If it wasn't for red meat, I wouldn't eat!

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why do vegetarians always look sickly?

And why did God give us canines for tearing and chewing meat, and not just molars for grinding grass and seeds?

Humans are carnivores, and people who go all veggy are depriving their bodies of essential elemental foods.

If you want to be a vegetarian or vegan, more power to you ... you'll need it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You speak the truth, as we currently understand it.  And it's fairly complicated stuff.

My doc runs a research clinic, he had me go on Atkins, for as long as I wanted to, and tested me monthly for free. Evey month my numbers were better. I started gravitating towards seafood and bacon though, ended up with gout.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Eating cholesterol doesn't increase your cholesterol any more than eating brains makes you smarter.

You can not exist without fats in your diet, it is critical for proper digestion and uptake of many vitamins.

There are so many dogooders around wanting authority over how you live your lives, it is a wonder anyone ever gets anything done.

Quit listening to the nanny-staters, eat whatever you want, just remember moderation.

Here is a clue, you will be dead before long, no one lives forever.  The day you were born you started dieing, make the best of what little time you have left.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Read it. Before sin there was no death so no meat eating. I didn't write it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Read it. Before sin there was no death so no meat eating. I didn't write it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Actually, trans fatty acids are synthesized in the gut of ruminants.  Chickens can be fed TFAs too.  But pork is relatively free of TFAs.

It is the TFAs that can be bad.   Not cholesterol.  Sure, thousands of biochemists have analyzed arterial plaque and found cholesterol in these deposits but that isn't the cause of the arterial disease.  For example, smoking does far more damage which causes plaque adhesion on arterial walls.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Actaully the problem is that beef in modern America is not grass fed for sale to the public. It is in in a fed in a feed lot and is fed corn which is a ruminant to increase marbling which increases the cholesterol. Along with the with the increased bad types of cholesterol the cow actually suffers from some health issues associated with being fed a constant diet of ruminants, they are given a lot of antibiotics , hormones and other medications to keep them healthy all these drugs end up in the meat you eat.  Furthermore fats are not the issue, animal fats are in fact very healthy for human beings and are the types of fats that we were designed to process. It is the vegetable fats and processed saturated fats that our bodies do not deal with.

100% grass fed beef or range beef is just as healthy and good for you as Venison, Bison or other wild animals, also the beef finished in the manner I talked about above is known to have greater instances of Ecoli than grass fed beef does.  Yes I know what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I love reading ARFCOM dietary threads.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much pork will give you gout, and gout is horrible.

I had a case of gout when I was 21. I know just how horrible it is.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#38]
There will be a time, when science and medicine come to the conclusion that it isn't "red" meats that cause heart disease and cancers per se.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There will be a time, when science and medicine come to the conclusion that it isn't "red" meats that cause heart disease and cancers per se.

They already did a long time ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

especially when 95% of the people who participate know nothing of which they speak.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I'd also like to find the moron who claimed that the bulk of our calories should come from grains and starches. Only one kind of critter on this planet has evolved to subsist primarily on complex sugars, and those are avians. That kind of excess sugar crap is what leads to insulin resistance (aka diabeetus).

Fun fact: processed cereals and starches have a higher glycemic index than cane sugar. That is to say, eating those processed cereals and starches will raise your blood sugar faster than eating an equivalent amount of pure cane sugar.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:04:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

especially when 95% of the people who participate know nothing of which they speak.

That's what makes them so entertaining....

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#43]
I fucking love chicken wings and steaks

and crawfish

lobster

crab

beer

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:11:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The fewer legs it has the better it is for you.

fish>poultry>beef/pork

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Spider meat is actually the leading cause of heart disease in the US.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Intramuscular fat vs intermuscular fat.  Pork and chicken are leaner meats if you get rid of the fat around the edges.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what makes them so entertaining....

I agree with this statement.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only a half ounce of meat a day? Is that like half of a meatball or something?

That study is junk science.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So all of the G.I. docs are now saying it is ok to fill your guts with red meat then?
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So all of the G.I. docs are now saying it is ok to fill your guts with red meat then?

My wife's best friend is an MD. She's insanely wrong, all the time. Just because a Doc says, or doesn't say it, doesn't mean it's true or false. Scientific studies are better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Pork is generally considered worse for you than beef.  It is due to the fat and cholesterol amounts in each one.  Less is healthier.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top