Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:59:46 PM EDT
anyone know the answer to this or if its even true?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think its because of the original mating pair had weak genes and the genetic bottleneck is catching up. Too much inbreeding.

Ok I dont know. Tag for the answer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
So they don't bind when they wear tighter pants.

I mean, duh!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
There's 84 track shoes on the left, 82 on the right, but I have no idea why.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it was originally built for circle track racing and was later converted to military use.  They kept the one longer track because it helps them turn sideways inside those big planes so they can carry more of them.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Trying not to steal the thread, but how is the Bradley doing over in Iraq?  From what I understand, it is doing a  pretty good job.  Any feedback on this?

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
True.
the tranny pulls harder on one side, I dont remember why, I want to say something to do with the torsion bar suspension, if you had the same amount, youd get mad track slap on the right side.

changing track pads is wickid fun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#9]
it couldn't handle a full power shot from Squat dog and it stunted the growth of the right side, obviously
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
For traversing around hills.  Everyone knows this, it's the same reason cows back home have shorter legs on one side.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think it was originally built for circle track racing and was later converted to military use.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess nobody knows
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't answer your question, but you are correct the right track is shorter. When I was with < top secret spec-op name eliminated > we always sat on the right side so we would get to the combat zone faster......
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya'll are so full of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The right side has the 84 shoes where the left side has the 82.  The road wheel arms (road wheels are attached to) use torsion bars for the supporting element (similar to a Cheby front end).  The torsion bars go across the width of the vehicle and are offset left to right.  Which means that the right side has the rear torsion bar which translate into a road wheel which is 3-4" further back than the rear on the left side.

On a side note after the T-151's get a few miles on them the bushings become worn and the number of shoes WILL vary from 84 to 80 on the right side to 82 to 78 on the left.  Oh, "T-151" is the model of the track shoe on the BFV.  This is also the same set up used on the MLRS and a similar set up on the M113, M1, M88, M60 wait a minute, its that way on all tracked combat vehicles, just different models of shoes with different counts.

Hows that for the answer?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The right side has the 84 shoes where the left side has the 82.  The road wheel arms (road wheels are attached to) use torsion bars for the supporting element (similar to a Cheby front end).  The torsion bars go across the width of the vehicle and are offset left to right.  Which means that the right side has the rear torsion bar which translate into a road wheel which is 3-4" further back than the rear on the left side.

On a side note after the T-151's get a few miles on them the bushings become worn and the number of shoes WILL vary from 84 to 80 on the right side to 82 to 78 on the left.  Oh, "T-151" is the model of the track shoe on the BFV.  This is also the same set up used on the MLRS and a similar set up on the M113, M1, M88, M60 wait a minute, its that way on all tracked combat vehicles, just different models of shoes with different counts.

The "wheelbase" is slightly longer on the right.  ANd for the reason above.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The "wheelbase" is slightly longer on the right.  And for the reason above.

Track vehicles don't use the term "wheelbase".  You have total vehicle length, air transportable length and track contact surface area.  The reason wheelbase isn't used is due to the nature of torsion bar operation the "wheelbase" is never the same constantly changing based on terrain and vehicle load.

Next question for all ya'll smart folks:  Is a BFV pushed or pulled by the final drives?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Damnit, Kuntry got to this thread before I did. He is entirely correct, of course.

Any tracked vehicle with torsion bar suspension will not be entirely symmetrical. It's not a very good drawing, but you can make it out on this Abrams diagram for example.

It appears that not many tankers actually realise this (I had to educate my entire platoon on the fact!), but that might be because the M1 manual dictates 78 blocks per side. To compensate for this, the compensating arm is almost invariably extended further on one side than the other, just nobody notices.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Is a BFV pushed or pulled by the final drives?

Well, the drivewheel is at the front, so I'm assuming 'pulled'. (i.e. most tension on the top of the track, going over the idler wheel at the back, and the idler wheel then pushes the whole thing forward on the track)

A fun one for those who don't know, is to look at a picture of a T-34 and try to figure out where the drivewheels are. WWII were the days where just because the engine was at one ended didn't necessarily mean that the transmission and drivewheels were at the same end.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Gah,

Had a Major ask one of the other SGTs in my company one time how many track shoes were on each side of the M113.  The other SGT came to ask me, figuring I had it in my head.  I said, "Hell if I know."  So, I figured I ought to find out why the MAJ wanted to know and asked him.

He said, "How do you know your track tension is correct without knowing the correct number of shoes?"

My answer, "I follow the instructions in the TM, sir."

Yup, location of torsion bars is the reason there are differing numbers of shoes.  Also, this caused a very slight drift in the M113 FOV, somewhat to the right, as I recall - seemed I was always nudging the left lat at road speed on hardball.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

yeah right, and you said we were full of crap
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Long time lurker, first time caller?

Welcome to the 'hood.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is a BFV pushed or pulled by the final drives?

Well, the drivewheel is at the front, so I'm assuming 'pulled'. (i.e. most tension on the top of the track, going over the idler wheel at the back, and the idler wheel then pushes the whole thing forward on the track)

A fun one for those who don't know, is to look at a picture of a T-34 and try to figure out where the drivewheels are. WWII were the days where just because the engine was at one ended didn't necessarily mean that the transmission and drivewheels were at the same end.

NTM

You are exactly correct!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#23]
If a Abrams is moving forward at 45 mph, how fast are the track shoes on the support rollers moving?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#24]
On the top, 45mph.
On the road, 0mph.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope...........
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
On the top, 45mph.
On the road, 0mph.

Road correct, top 90 mph.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On the top, 45mph.
On the road, 0mph.

+1
Old trick of mine
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#28]
No takers for the T-34?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]
ding ding ding we have a winner.  on the ground 0 mph on the support rollers double the vehicle speed.............

So if all this is true how fast are the road wheels moving?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No takers for the T-34?

NTM

Its driven from the rear "smooth" drive assy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#31]
45mph at the hub, one would wager.

Yep on the T-34. There's no 'sprocket wheel' in the traditional sense, instead using a friction-free system of rollers interlinking with the center guides.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So if all this is true how fast are the road wheels moving?

45 mph...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#33]
What is the ungoverned top speed of the XM1?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#34]
There was one tank design that didnt require its tracks to be in place to move.  It could move while the tracks were mounted or it could move (under its own power) with the tracks removed.  What was the name of this tank?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Tag to watch the DATs without the DA.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I think I graduated most of the way to CDAT, with the BFT on my A1.

There were several tank designs which could run on either tracks or wheels. The most successful was the BT-5 series of Soviet light tanks. They were a development the earlier BT series, which themselves were based on one of Christie's designs.

France, Austria, England and Germany amongst others all had their own 'Wheel-cum-track' vehicles.

One of the tankers over on TankNet claims to have trialled an M1 at over 100mph in an experiment to see just how fast the thing would go. (No ammo, governor, early model without extra armour, and so on). Pretty much ripped it apart doing it though.

Not an acknowledged speed by the Guinness book of Records, however, probably because it was not a speed achievable by a generic tank.

My turn. What was the first production tank to enter full-scale service with a turbine engine?

NTM
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
On the top, 45mph.
On the road, 0mph.

Shit.
I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:17:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
There was one tank design that didnt require its tracks to be in place to move.  It could move while the tracks were mounted or it could move (under its own power) with the tracks removed.  What was the name of this tank?

Christie T-3
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:42:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I was on Bradley's (cav version) for 4 years and I will guarantee you that we put equal shoes on each side and then adjusted the idler arm's for the correct tension.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What is the ungoverned top speed of the XM1?

I dunno.  What is the unladen airspeed of a swallow?  

Woody
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:27:36 AM EDT
[#41]
XM1=Experimental M1 Tank

Tank that can move with or without its tracks= Several of the Christie designs http://www.geocities.com/firefly1002000/christanks.html

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#42]
What does the -10 say, out of interest? I was rather surprised when I looked it up and it said equal on both sides.

Turbine question seems to have stumped people for a short while

NTM
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#43]
From what I understand (a few of my coworkers were associated with the M1 program), they never figured out the absolute top speed of an ungoverned M1.  They got worried around 85-90mph and stopped, since if they threw a track at that speed it'd be all over for the crew.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top