Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2005 4:53:33 AM EDT
The fan on my Toshiba laptop has been running A LOT more frequently the last few days. I usually prop the back up with some books when I'm sitting at a table so that it gets more airflow, but it's been running like every other minute or so.

Link Posted: 4/21/2005 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#1]
ya sure it's the fan?

I've got a toshiba laptop. One morning i was woken up to the sound of the cooling fan. i turned it off and went back to sleep. I later found out that it wasn't the cooling fan, but rather the hard drive grinding.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure it's not the HD... the HD isn't always running. I can usually tell the difference between the HD sounds and the fan... I'm about 98% sure it's the fan. But I'll check anyway. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
What applications are you running?  I know if I run something that uses MS access, for some reason it always pegs the CPU at 99% use.  The fan on my desktop will speed up, and the one on my laptop does the same if that application is left running.

Check task manager for something using a lot of your CPU in the background.  Even if it isn't doing anything, but just not allowing the CPU to idle, it will cause a lot more heat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#4]
i thoguht it was the bearings going bad in my fan. then i realized there was no fan there. lol..

Probably is the fan. have you checked for spyware lately? might have sometihng running in the background that's causing the cpu to heat up
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What applications are you running?
Check task manager for something using a lot of your CPU in the background.

Most everythign in there looks pretty much the same. Don't see anything out of the ordinary.
Only app running it MSIE... which is has the memory usage pegged out at 48,288k... which is the tops on the processes, followed by svchost at 30,980k, winlogon at 27,100k, etc. But the CPU usage meter is pegged out at 100%.

I'm running Ad-Aware now with the most current definitions. I ran a virus scan yesterday as well as Ad-Aware (which I run at least once daily). Nothig out of the ordinary... just the usual crap.

Link Posted: 4/21/2005 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, whatever is pegging the CPU is causing the problem.  

It could be a plugin to MSIE.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Sort by CPU(CPU usage) in the processes window instead of memory.  System Idle should be at the top.  If not, whatever is at the top is the problem.
Link Posted: 4/21/2005 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I finished running Ad-Aware and then did two restarts... seems to be running somewhat normal now as far as CPU usage. I'll give it a little time to see if the fan starts wigging out again.

I'll keep the system idle thing in mind... didn't know that one.

Thanks dudes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
On my Toshiba Satillite notebok, I noticed it seemed to be running hotter and hotter.

I put a couple of the Silicon Squishy feet under the system to boost up the system "stand off" height by about a 1/2".

It really did wonders to allow more air under the machine to keep my system running cooler with less fan.

Cheap at $1.79 at Home Depot and if I ever want to go back to stock, the feet pull off without damage to the computer.

I also used air to ensure the fan was clean and clear so it wouldn't shake or make noise when it did come on.

Give it a try!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Spray some  canned air into your vents on your computer.  I was having the same proplem with Dell laptop and its working fine now.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Spray some  canned air into your vents on your computer.

+1, if its not some type of malware or application problem, the cpu fan may have excessive dust in it. i have to open my desktop case and clean my fans atleast once every couple months.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Guess I should have mentioned this problem was fixed shortly after my last post to this discussion.

Thanks for the input. It was some nasty spyware... but I ended up having to reformat (restore) the computer not long after... and it hasn't been working right still... accessing the d partition slows it way down. I backed up everything from the partition so I just need to restore it again and format the partition as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Spray some  canned air into your vents on your computer.

+1, if its not some type of malware or application problem, the cpu fan may have excessive dust in it. i have to open my desktop case and clean my fans atleast once every couple months.

Same here. About every 4 months to be exact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top