Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 9:59:10 PM EDT
not the shape of a ball.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
goes back to when it *was* in the shape of a ball.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
not the shape of a ball.

I believe it's because of the type of powder used; i.e., ball as opposed to stick.......correct me if I'm wrong anyone out there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
not the shape of a ball.

I believe it's because of the type of powder used; i.e., ball as opposed to stick.......correct me if I'm wrong anyone out there.

yeah, I've heard that theory as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Cuz it takes balls to use that crap against your enemy in war time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
not the shape of a ball.

yeah, I've heard that theory as well.

Wow!! conflicting theories... this is gonna get good!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
not the shape of a ball.

but "ball" ammo always refers to the FMJ, despite the fact that tracers, HE, AP and the rest of the goodies also use the same powder.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Its just a throwback to the muzzleloader days when the bullet really was a lead ball. Nothing to do with powder type.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its just a throwback to the muzzleloader days when the bullet really was a lead ball. Nothing to do with powder type.

That makes more sense.  But there is a difference between ball powder and the more coarse "stick" type gun powder.  Probably also refers to FMJ (e.g., continuous coverage of lead projectile by copper) as opposed to soft point, hollow point, wad cutter, etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
goes back to when it *was* in the shape of a ball.

which is also why they are called "rounds" of ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
How many rounds of ball ammo did you order?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Only 192... starting small
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Did'nt it start with the 45acp fmj?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Only to differentiate it from tracer/AP/incinderary/spotting/blank/dummy/

It has NOTHING to do with the propellent.  It is a holdover from the paper cartridge days when the Minnie bullet was being introduced.  This bullet needed a faster twist so a rifle that was designed for ball used paper cartridges labeled "Ball ammo" while those rifles with faster twists could use either.

Civil War era "muskets" but were actually rifled.  To load, the "tail" of the cartridge was unfolded and the end bit off.  Powder was poured into the muzzle and if it was a ball cartridge, the remaining paper and ball was rammed down the bore.  If it was a Minnie bullet, the bullet was then squeezed out and inserted into the muzzle where it dropped freely, if the rifle were clean.  A few taps with the ramrod seate either bullet and then a musket cap was placed on the nipple.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ditto

Ball was a lead ball.

Then you got the conical and Minie balls. which aren't really balls.

That's what i've heard.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With only  192 rounds, You will need more
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much more.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Who gives a shit...

I need more!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:39:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much more.

+1

You need at least this much to start off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You need at least this much to start off.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/M1-Matt/3006Stockpile.jpg

That's a lot of ball.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#20]
i not no
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#21]
here goes:

Civil war era cartridges (paper) used Buck and Ball, or various Minie style bullets.  There is something of a precedent.

Some 30 years later smokeless powder comes into being.  Velocities increase, various armies start using makeshift soft point bullets.  for example, the brits based in India (DumDum) start modifying 303 ammo.  Higher velocities and soft point/hollow point and in some cases explosive filled bullets create wounds that are considered inhumane.

Then comes the Hague convention.  Among other items, it regulates the use of acceptable bullets in humnae warfare.  Bullets must be non-expanding (Metal clad/jacketed) and have a pointed or rounded (BALL) profile.  A .45 bullet that is metal clad but has a wadcutter profile (flat) woul dnot be acceptable..

I beleive the requirement for a rounded (or pointed) profile gave birth to the term "ball".  Of course "ball" ammo is no longer rounded (but pointed), and while it is non-expanding, it IS most certainly fragmenting (thus violating teh spirit of the Hague convention).

Propellent is completely irrelevant.  "Ball" rpunds were in use long before the existance of Ba;ll-type powders.  For example, British Ball rounds were using cordite (threadlike strands of propellant) well before the development of ball powders some 40 years later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top