Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 7:22:07 AM EDT
The old "two to the chest, one to the head; if you don't see the head, the first two worked:" why is it called a "Mozambique?"
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:23:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:24:20 AM EDT
Read what Jeff Cooper has to say since he coined the name:

www.thegunzone.com/lore.html
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:24:27 AM EDT
It's from a song penned by a firearms trainer...

Lemme google it for you
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:25:16 AM EDT
The Mozambique Drill (the ubiquitous "2 in the body, 1 in the head") is a long- time drill of Gunsite graduates. As far as I know the term was first discussed by Jeff Cooper in an article in his "Commentaries," Vol. 1, No. 1, June 1994, which is reprinted here for your enlightenment.

"As time passes we discover that there are a good many readers who have not been to school and who are puzzled by our reference to "The Mozambique Drill."

"I added The Mozambique Drill to the modern doctrine after hearing of an experience of a student of mine up in Mozambique when that country was abandoned. My friend was involved in the fighting that took place around the airport of Laurenco Marquez. At one point, Mike turned a corner was confronted by a terrorist carrying an AK47. The man was advancing toward him at a walk at a range of perhaps 10 paces. Mike, who was a good shot, came up with his P35 and planted two satisfactory hits, one on each side of the wishbone. He expected his adversary to drop, but nothing happened, and the man continued to close the range. At this point, our boy quite sensibly opted to go for the head and tried to do so, but he was a little bit upset by this time and mashed slightly on the trigger, catching the terrorist precisely between the collar bones and severing his spinal cord. This stopped the fight.

"Upon analysis, it seemed to me that the pistolero should be accustomed to the idea of placing two shots amidships as fast as he can and then being prepared to change his point of aim if this achieves no results. Two shots amidships can be placed very quickly and very reliably and they will nearly always stop the fight providing a major-caliber pistol is used and the subject is not wearing body armor. However, simply chanting "two in the body, one in the head" oversimplifies matters, since it takes considerably longer to be absolutely sure of a head shot than it does to be quite sure of two shots in the thorax. The problem for the shooter is to change his pace, going just as fast as he can with his first pair, then, pausing to observe results or lack thereof, he must slow down and shoot precisely. This is not easy to do. The beginner tends to fire all three shots at the same speed, which is either too slow for the body shots or too fast for the head shot. This change of pace calls for concentration and coordination which can only be developed through practice.

"Mike Rouseau was later killed in action in the Rhodesian War. May he rest in peace!"

The Mozambique Drill was put to song in the late 90s and if you're a Gunsite family member you've probably lost sleep over THAT song. Referred to as the Mozambique Two-Step, it is frequently sung (and sung badly) at the Gunsite Reunion/TR Memorial held at the NRA Whittington Center every October by Ric Wckoff and yours truly. Sung to the tune of Dominique (which was sung by the Singing Nun - "Soeur Sourire") it should keep you awake for hours.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:26:30 AM EDT

THE MOZAMBIQUE TWO-STEP
Believed to have been originated by Jim Sorrentino, et. al.

CHORUS:

Mozambique him, Mozambique him,
If he fails to hit the ground
After two well-placed rounds!
Shoot between the eyes and lips,
No, NOT between the hips,
That should put the goblin down!

VERSE:

With your sights on center chest
Twice you your trigger you have pressed.
If two don't stop the fight,
A head-shot should set it right!

CHORUS

VERSE:

It is best to use a slug
Big enough to stop a thug.
Calibers that start with four
Will better drop them to the floor!

CHORUS

VERSE:

Stop this talk of "failure drills",
For it denigrates our skills.
Failure is a word so bleak,
But I rejoice at "MOZAMBIQUE"!

CHORUS

ADDITIONAL VERSE

In full evening dress you stroll
when accosted by a troll
who seizes your maiden fair.
Three quick shots to save the day,
reload, press-check, you're on your way,
and you've scarcely mussed a hair.

ADDITIONAL VERSE

Mozambique the bloody creep!
For he's been breathing far too long
and you must shut him down.
There's only one way to construe
the way he points that gun at you.
The time to act is now.

or maybe, for the second part of the above

'Tis unmitigated act
that you need now and that's a fact.
Thank Heaven you know how!

And a recently added contemporary verse (thanks to Alan Taylor).

"If on the dusty Arab street,
Foul Osama you should meet,
With his arms upraised, in full jihadi call!
Mozambique without delay,
T'is the order of the day,
And you'll do a welcome service for us all!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:30:30 AM EDT
What I was told was that many years ago a Rhodesian army captain was attacked by a machete wielding opponent and after putting two in the chest the guy was still coming, so he put one in the head. This happen in Mozambique. At least that was the story.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:33:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ScubaTexas:
What I was told was that many years ago a Rhodesian army captain was attacked by a machete wielding opponent and after putting two in the chest the guy was still coming, so he put one in the head. This happen in Mozambique. At least that was the story.

Nope.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:41:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 7:42:55 AM EDT by Sub-MOA]
First time I ever heard the term used was in about 1982-83 on Magnum P.I.

A drunk guy floating in his tub had drawn a silhouette on the far wall and was firing into the "target."

The guy says something like "Two in the heart and one in the head! Mozambique! That's how you do it!"

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:44:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sub-MOA:

A drunk guy floating in his tub had drawn a silhouette on the far wall and was firing into the "target."

The guy says something like "Two in the heart and one in the head! Mozambique! That's how you do it!"

Yep.
Long before the reported Cooper reference.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:47:13 AM EDT

exactly what I was going to say....

man that was a good show
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:49:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:

Yep.

Nope. Wrong again. How you guys can post stuff without doing a little research is beyond me.
Copper made this reference before Magnum, and the guy in the Magnum episode was a gun
guy and some say had actually taken classes from Cooper.

Such misunderstandings are... and why does this not surprise us... often abetted by the common media, a prime example of which was the popular CBS television series, Magnum P.I. (1980-88). One episode in particular featured guest star Darren McGavin (a real life gun person) bustin' caps from his bathtub at a crude humanoid silhouette target on the wall, while informing an incredulous Tom Selleck that he was practicing his Mozambique technique: "two to the head and one to the body."

Note that he DID say 2 to the head one to the body (he was 'drunk" in the episode).
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:55:48 AM EDT
am i correct thinking i read about the mo drill decades ago in sof magazine?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:01:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TexasSIG:

Yep.

Nope. Wrong again. How you guys can post stuff without doing a little research is beyond me.

How someone could really care that much about worthless trivia is beyond me...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:06:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By squeezecockerp7m8:

Yep.

How someone could really care that much about worthless trivia is beyond me...

Took me 40 seconds on Google. I care more about people posting made up BS.......
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:09:24 AM EDT

I personally learned it from Jeff Cooper in 1981. It was already a well established drill at the time. He was also playing with Aimpoints on carbines at the time. You guys are only 20 years behind the power curve.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:12:50 AM EDT
So did Cooper invent it and name it?

We still don't have an answer
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:12:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:

I think you're correct, seems to me I heard it back in the mid to late 70's.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:13:08 AM EDT

Yep.

Copper made this reference before Magnum, and the guy in the Magnum episode was a gun
guy and some say had actually taken classes from Cooper.

Such misunderstandings are... and why does this not surprise us... often abetted by the common media, a prime example of which was the popular CBS television series, Magnum P.I. (1980-88). One episode in particular featured guest star Darren McGavin (a real life gun person) bustin' caps from his bathtub at a crude humanoid silhouette target on the wall, while informing an incredulous Tom Selleck that he was practicing his Mozambique technique: "two to the head and one to the body."

Note that he DID say 2 to the head one to the body (he was 'drunk" in the episode).

Just the first time I ever heard it... I was like 9 or 10 at the time.

Note here: I can’t stand Cooper’s writing style and the one time I ever went to gunsite was during his “kicked out” stage after it sold.

The cult of Cooper and its adherents often mystify me. Please forgive me for mentioning the first time I had ever seen it.

(or should I use the royal WE in this context to make things even more confusing (but perhaps more readable by Cooper’s followers))

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:14:42 AM EDT

Note here: I can’t stand Cooper’s writing style and the one time I ever went to gunsite was during his “kicked out” stage after it sold.

The cult of Cooper and its adherents often mystify me. Please forgive me for mentioning the first time I had ever seen it.

(or should I use the royal WE in this context to make things even more confusing (but perhaps more readable by Cooper’s followers))

I can't stand the guy either, but he did coin the term we're arguing about on a Wednesday because we
have nothing better to do
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:46:38 AM EDT
We called them Dozier Drills in the Army. I was caught short when asked about them in class one time in 2000. I totally forgot about that name and I saw that episode of "Magnum" many times as well. I also started reading SOF mag back in 1977 or so.

Well, whatever. It's still good practice today as well as 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:20:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By osprey21:

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:

I think you're correct, seems to me I heard it back in the mid to late 70's.

I believe so. They use to have lots of acticles along those lines.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:26:32 AM EDT
Years ago I heard, from a source I trust, that the original Mozambique incident involved a Rhodesian army soldier shooting a terr with a FAL. Just what I heard.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:43:27 AM EDT
African airport survival drill. Cooper made it a public policy worth training in regular fashion.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:44:30 AM EDT

Why is it called a "Mozambique?"

As my dad used to say (and his dad said to him when he was a boy), "Every baby has to have a name"
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:25:13 AM EDT

Back in the 1970's Cooper was the handgun editor of SOF. Later he brought in Chuck Taylor to share it. They were a hoot to read.
Top Top