Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 5:58:10 PM EST
Yes, yes....all semantics aside.I'm sure there is an explanation for the abbreviation.

IMO .......BRL.....seems appropriate.

What, exactly, excludes this? Just the dictionary? Or does someone actually know?

>>>>>>>16 year olds need not respond<<<<<<<<<<
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:01:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2007 6:02:19 PM EST by USAFhack]
wikipedia has a point on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_%28unit%29

I've often seen it as a reference to a measure of volume. I'm not sure why it's used in firearm terms
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:04:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2007 6:04:48 PM EST by Zaxxon]
It's because Mushmouth from Fat Albert called it a "B-barrell" and it stuck.

Thats all I knoes

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:04:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2007 9:23:18 PM EST by prk]
I get as annoyed at immature responses as the next guy, when their purpose is to vex or annoy or even look cute. But to say "16 year olds need not respond" is bigoted.

There are plenty of intelligent, polite, helpful, young people whom you don't need to offend. In the future, some of them will be deciding whether your "Chuck pad" really needs to be changed or not.

The Wikipedia article does not mention or cross-reference the 55-gallon drum, which is often called a "barrel"!!! drum (container)
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:11:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By prk:
I get as annoyed at immature responses as the next guy, when their purpose is to vex or annoy or even look cute. But to say "16 year olds need not respond" is bigoted.

There are plenty of intelligent, polite, helpful, young people who you don't need to offend. In the future, some of them will be deciding whether your "Chuck" really needs to be changed or not.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the younger members here are more mature than a lot of the older members.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:39:43 PM EST
As a muscle car addicted yout I always saw it written (in the tons of magazines, books, manuals, etc I digested)----------4BBL Carb or 2BBL Carb...

In later life, in the military (as seen in TO's and TM's) it was always abbreviated------BBL...

I always use BBL.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:43:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Noname:
As a muscle car addicted yout I always saw it written (in the tons of magazines, books, manuals, etc I digested)----------4BBL Carb or 2BBL Carb...

In later life, in the military (as seen in TO's and TM's) it was always abbreviated------BBL...

I always use BBL.

But where did it start? And why?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:02:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/26/2007 3:04:09 AM EST by Noname]

Originally Posted By spectre556:

But where did it start? And why?

One source...

www.reference.com/search?q=BBL

The "b" may have been doubled originally to indicate the plural (1 bl, 2 bbl), or possibly it was doubled to eliminate any confusion with bl as a symbol for the bale (see above). Note: Some web sites are claiming that "bbl" originated as a symbol for "blue barrels" delivered by Standard Oil in its early days; this is almost certainly incorrect because there are citations for the symbol at least as early as the late 1700s, long before Standard Oil was founded.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:11:45 AM EST
I think that like some other units of measure and their abbreviations, it goes back a few hundred years. Like why is pound lbs? Or Ounce oz?
Top Top