Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2011 9:58:41 AM EDT
Why in America, Where the law states you are innocent until proven guilty, are gun owners and Americans in general ,guilty without ever committing a crime?

I was told today that gun owners are more likely to commit gun related crimes that non gun owners...umm I would say you are 100% correct in that statement.
You are correct that it is almost impossible for a NON gun owner to commit a gun related crime.
Just like people that drink and drive make up the majority of people that are charged with DUI
But not all gun owners have ill intentions. In fact most gun owners are law abiding citizens.

"well all guns should be rounded up and made into cars"

So punish the majority for the crimes committed by the minority of gun owners?....and you want to create an object that happens to kill more people a year than guns?
We see how well the ban on drinking and driving works. Does that mean we should ban alcohol and cars?

Why do I bother to reason with people?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why in America, Where the law states you are innocent until proven guilty, are gun owners and Americans in general ,guilty without ever committing a crime?

I was told today that gun owners are more likely to commit gun related crimes that non gun owners...umm I would say you are 100% correct in that statement.
You are correct that it is almost impossible for a NON gun owner to commit a gun related crime.
Just like people that drink and drive make up the majority of people that are charged with DUI
But not all gun owners have ill intentions. In fact most gun owners are law abiding citizens.

"well all guns should be rounded up and made into cars"

So punish the majority for the crimes committed by the minority of gun owners?....and you want to create an object that happens to kill more people a year than guns?
We see how well the ban on drinking and driving works. Does that mean we should ban alcohol and cars?

Why do I bother to reason with people?

Don't.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure there have been studies showing, for instance, that CCW holders have a lower crime rate than LEO's.

I'd bet that the crime rate among people who buy guns through legal channels is lower than the general population.  Most of their garbage statistics are compiled from drug crime populations.

It's lies, damned lies and statistics.  They pick and choose to fit their story, and when they can't find real numbers to back them up they pull them out of thin air.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Short answer: liberalism.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]
And all DUIs are committed by CAR OWNERS!
Ban them for the chilin!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Short answer: liberalism. progressivism and effective indoctrination.

...liberalism does not mean what you think it means.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
all gun related crimes are caused by people who didn't used to own a gun.

Bring up the fact that less than one percent of gun crimes are committed by people who had guns as part of their family culture and were taught how to use guns.  Technically if these retards aren't teching their children to shoot guns they are 99 percent more likely to commit a gun crime.  Libtards fault if you look at it that way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I was just frustrated at debating with someone using the "idiots guide to fact manufacturing"

debate using facts, not generalizations.
Hey did you know that most of Arfcom owns guns?
or that 60 percent of the time, it works every time?

I should know you cant argue with a liberal, tree hugging, patchouli stench wearing , jerusalam cruiser owner.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#8]
A better question would be, why do you feel that gun owners are guilty without ever committing a crime?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A better question would be, why do you feel that gun owners are guilty without ever committing a crime?

Its not me that feels that way...Just how it seems alot of us gun folks are looked at.
It was the basis of their argument. Its people with guns that commit gun crime
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not me that feels that way...Just how it seems alot of us gun folks are looked at.

I've never felt that I've been looked at that way.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#11]
because
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Stir the pot, stir the pot...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#13]
They don't question what they read.

Critical thinking and fact checking is discouraged in the US.

Gun ownership is now a minority pasttime for the general population, so for many Americans the only references they have for gun issues are popular media
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stir the pot, stir the pot...

That would be a good way to describe the wacky OP, as an effort to stir the pot.

A little dose of reality tends to calm the waters, don't you agree.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#15]
just do what I do....put them on your 'Against the Wall When The Revolution Comes" list....and move on with your day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#16]
My response would be:

Technically and necessarily by your logic, criminals who are in possession of a firearm are 'gun owners' too.   Even if a law were passed requiring all guns be turned in, the aforementioned criminal will not turn in his guns.  Then you will have a greater difference in power between law abiding citizens and criminals, because law abiding citizens will now be disarmed.

Consider:

There is only about 1 cop for every 1700 citizens in this country.   How far away is your cop?  How quickly can he/she get to you in an emergency?   Will you live long enough in a life and death situation?

Per FBI Uniform Crime Statistics (this is from memory from the gunfacts PDF), more than 70% of gunshot victims are criminals, and most of those have multiple arrests on their records.  

Most 'gun crimes' are criminals hurting other criminals.  Cases where an average citizen just flips out on someone and shoots them over something silly are rare.  What should concern us about that is not the occasional person who flips out, but the very widespread lack of civility and common consideration and courtesy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
just do what I do....put them on your 'Against the Wall When The Revolution Comes" list....and move on with your day.

That isn't going to win you any mental stability points.
Shooting people simply because they hold different opinions than you?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pretty sure there have been studies showing, for instance, that CCW holders have a lower crime rate than LEO's.

Link?

And clarification of your statement?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That isn't going to win you any mental stability points.
Shooting people simply because they hold different opinions than you?

The beat up smiley face is my way of showing I am joking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top