Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 3:19:18 AM EDT
I was wondering why no one has attempted to developed a dual gas system AR15,M16 or assault rifle. It seemes like a neat idea to have both a AR15 gas system and a short stroke gas piston. This system does not seem like it would add much more weight to a weapon system. It could be set on a selector switch of some kind.  Think about it you could use the standard gas system when accuracy is required or use the short stroke system when extreame accuracy was not required.  For instance the regular AR15 gas system could be used for long range shots. The piston could be used in CQB situations, MOUT room clearing situations or when cleaning is not practical. it seems like an Idea that is worth exploring.        
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:27:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The present system works just fine… if the M16 system is as flawed as many Keyboard Kommandoes would have us believe, why is the M4 the weapon of choice for most of the world Special Forces!

I am not doubting it is a good system hell I have three AR15s but the weapon does have its faults.  I think that a lot of special forces use the M4 because it is a cheap system that is of good quality.  I dont think that special forces would use the AK which is cheaper because it is lower quality.  But I do believe that the AR15 could be improved upon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The present system works just fine… if the M16 system is as flawed as many Keyboard Kommandoes would have us believe, why is the M4 the weapon of choice for most of the world Special Forces!

I am not doubting it is a good system hell I have three AR15s but the weapon does have its faults.  I think that a lot of special forces use the M4 because it is a cheap system that is of good quality.  I dont think that special forces would use the AK which is cheaper because it is lower quality.  But I do believe that the AR15 could be improved upon.

Special Force can get what they want… they usually have their own budgets and money is not an issue. The British SAS buy all their own weapons out of a 'fund'… they have all the HK toys from MP5's to G-36's, but their weapon of choice is the Diemaco C8, a licence built M4 carbine.  Special Forces do not buy weapons because they are 'cheap'… they buy the best weapon for the job.

ANdy

The special forces are abandoning the M4 for a gas piston SCAR rifle. I think that a rifle that uses both system would have a advantage over every other rifle out there.  Yes the special forces can have any weapon they want but they are limited to what weapons they can use due to supply issues and cross usage of weapons.  You are not likely to see a A team or seal team running around with different rifles . The special forces are limited by what weapons they have in inventory.  When they were given a choice they selected a weapon completely different from the M4.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
tinypic.com/9uofm1.jpg

Want to guess what weapon these two US Navy Seals are carrying?…

MP5N early model that was used before the flash suppresor was added. Notice how they are both carrying the same weapon a navy -crane devoloped weapon that was selected for issue to the seal teams and was developed and tested by the crane special warfare development center.  These seals are more than likley using those weapons because that weapon system is in there inventory and is common to seal armories. They are using those weapons due to the mission they are likley to face (CQB situations).  They could have been using M4CQBR models.  But that is the weapon they were advised to use by the team leader or due to mission parameters. Also notice how they are both armed with the same weapon not two different weapons  as this would mess up ammo sharing and cross usage factors.  I am sure that you could find a picture of seals armed with different weapons like MP5SDs or M14s or MK46Os but those weapons have special uses within mission parameters and are all common to U.S. military supply systems.  Show me a picture of seals using SIG550s, HKG36s, or AN94s You arnt likely to find such a picture because those weapons are not appproved for deployment use.  Special Forces are limited by there supply systems and SOCOM parameters.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:53:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Gotta go to college now nice talking to you
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to see how they try all the weapons and see which ones work. The Navy must have purchased at least one of each weapon and let them all fondle it and play with them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:09:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was wondering why no one has attempted to developed a dual gas system AR15,M16 or assault rifle. It seemes like a neat idea to have both a AR15 gas system and a short stroke gas piston. This system does not seem like it would add much more weight to a weapon system. It could be set on a selector switch of some kind.  Think about it you could use the standard gas system when accuracy is required or use the short stroke system when extreame accuracy was not required.  For instance the regular AR15 gas system could be used for long range shots. The piston could be used in CQB situations, MOUT room clearing situations or when cleaning is not practical. it seems like an Idea that is worth exploring.        

What is this "assault rifle" of which you speak?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a reason HK is preferred over FN and Colt for special forces...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:25:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top