Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 12:18:08 AM EDT
They have them all over Europe.  Some guy did a stoppie at a stoplight today and then proceeded to do a rolling burnout into a wheelie down the road by me.  We all know sportbike riders are gonna do it, why not let them do it someplace that won't endanger the public?

My guess would be insurance reasons but could you legally start one?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

They have them all over Europe.  Some guy did a stoppie at a stoplight today and then proceeded to do a rolling burnout into a wheelie down the road by me.  We all know sportbike riders are gonna do it, why not let them do it someplace that won't endanger the public?

Don't they have bike days at dragstrips?

Then again, the strips probably frown on hot-dogging....

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't they have bike days at dragstrips?

Then again, the strips probably frown on hot-dogging....

They do have bike days but I can only attest to the one around here which looks down on it.  My friend got a warning for doing a wheelie down the strip once but I think their main concern was that he was going down with someone else in the other lane(me).  There is absolutely no stunting allowed off the track either, just timed runs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I ride a sport bike, a Buell, and can honestly say I don't pull bull shit like that. I ride fast, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:19:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I ride a sport bike, a Buell, and can honestly say I don't pull bull shit like that. I ride fast, but that's about it.

Assuming you are wearing all the right gear, most of the milder stunts are probably safer(as far as serious, life threatening injury is concerned) than riding fast.  Not that I don't ride fast at times.  Don't do much stunting either as I ride an SV650s.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The majority of "stunting" takes place at low speed.  It's probably statistically safer than "riding fast".

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The lawyers would never let that happen in America.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Much safer to keep them on the public roads, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much safer to keep them on the public roads, I guess.

Common sense has been litigated out of American culture.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
endanger the public?

While people driving cars kill other people every day, how often do you hear about someone on a motorcycle hurting someone else?  Maybe once a decade?  The guys on motorcycles are almost always only endangering themselves.  I think your "endanger the public" statement goes way too far.

I say let the guys on motorcycles have the freedom to decide what risks they want take.  Except in extremely rare cases, they're not hurting someone else.z
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw Jason Britton ride at a lot of parks on "Super Bikes". They are privately owned. There is one in Philly at the local shop. You pay them $10, you stunt in their parking lot. A lot of guys I knew who stunted, liked to do it on the street because that was the “badass” thing to do. The street is where a lot of things started and people still do it today.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:37:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Liability.  You can sign all the waivers in the world, but if you zotz yourself doing something reckless on someone elses property SOMEBODY is going to sue on your behaf whether or not youd've wanted them to

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Liability.  You can sign all the waivers in the world, but if you zotz yourself doing something reckless on someone elses property SOMEBODY is going to sue on your behaf whether or not youd've wanted them to

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#14]
you can't attention-whore at a track. Such an operation would quickly go out of business, either from being sued or from lack of customers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#15]
We do, but during the week they're industrial parks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#16]
L-A-W-Y-E-R-S
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We do, but during the week they're industrial parks.

There was a guy by us that owned a factory and would let guys stunt in his empty lot(when it was empty, mostly on weekends).  Sometimes the cops would come in and break it up if crowds started forming but cops would routinely drive by and see us without bugging us if it was a small group(the first time they were out their they had to get the owner out of the factory to let them know he gave the riders the ok).

The factory has since changed ownership and it's no longer allowed.  I'm sure the owner would have been liable had something happened and somebody was dickheaded enough to sue over it but he only allowed a small group out there that he knew personally.  I would sometimes tag along and watch but never did much more than a small wheelie.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
endanger the public?

While people driving cars kill other people every day, how often do you hear about someone on a motorcycle hurting someone else?  Maybe once a decade?  The guys on motorcycles are almost always only endangering themselves.  I think your "endanger the public" statement goes way too far.

I say let the guys on motorcycles have the freedom to decide what risks they want take.  Except in extremely rare cases, they're not hurting someone else.z

Tell that to the guy sitting in ICU right now. Two assholes were racing down Sahara (a major arterial) doing wheelies, and broadsided a car. Asshole #1 died, asshole #2 is in ICU, along with the driver of the car they hit. I see assholes wheelie down the freeway all the time.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I saw Jason Britton ride at a lot of parks on "Super Bikes". They are privately owned. There is one in Philly at the local shop. You pay them $10, you stunt in their parking lot. A lot of guys I knew who stunted, liked to do it on the street because that was the “badass” thing to do. The street is where a lot of things started and people still do it today.

thats the thing that makes me really dislike some bikers they think they look "badass" doing stupid shit. I used to live with one of these jackasses who dumped all his money into trying to look badass riding his bike most annoying, lying piece of shit human i have ever met. When he wasnt riding around with all of his "badass" gear on and his little bandana hanging out of his pocket he was walking around the house in yellow footie pajamas with fucking firetrucks on them, not to mention the fact he gets manicures and pedicures, yeah asshole you are real badass.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:06:36 AM EDT
[#20]
There was a track in N. FL/S. GA from which we used to get occasional organ donors (I think it may have been shut down).  I couldn't say whether stunting is safer than racing for time.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't know of any stunt spots in CT, can't say I've looked though. I'd go if I had an extra bike to trash, cash for tires and a cage.

All of the endos and wheelies I've seen IRL were on the streets. Mostly Gixxer squids.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#22]
If someone is stupid and hurts themself or breaks their shit,  I as the property owner don't want to have to put up with them saying that I as the owner am somehow negligent for any number of reasons. (Inproper maintenence of my facilities etc etc). Especially when their insurance won't pay because pretty much every motorcycle policy in the US has exclusions in their policy for stunting.

I quoth thee language from my company's texas motorcycle policy

EXCLUSIONS
We will not pay for:

8. Loss sustained while your owned motorcycle or while a non-owned motorcycle is used in, or in preparation or
practice for:
a. Any hill climbing exhibition;
b. Any racing, speed contest, or stunting activity of any nature;
c. Use in any competitive riding or use on a race track or race course unless participating in a motorcycle safety
course meeting the standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Not worth the fucking hassle

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top