Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2008 10:21:37 AM EDT
Is there a reason, or is it because horses are useful? Do they just taste bad? I assume it's just a cultural thing?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a horse butcher in downtown Munich. I always wanted to try it but he was open odd hours.

I just think it's cultural. I've been told it makes good sausage meat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If its made of meat you can eat it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#4]
What about turkey eggs?  They've got to be bigger than chicken eggs
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I had always heard that the meat was a lot tougher.  No idea if it's true or not.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
My Dad,WW2 Navy vet, said they got lots of horsemeat aboard ship.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I've sold many horses for butchering purposes.  Somebody in this country eats them.

Unfortunately, slaughterhouses have cranked down restrictions on trucking methods for delivery.  No more double decked pots (trailers) for horse transportation.  It's not like they're not just gonna kill 'em anyway
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was in Uzbekistan they had horse meat. It's too bad I'm a veggie eater...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
We do eat horse meat. Most all the candy, butter and marshmallows you eat use gelatin which is a byproduct of horses connective tissue. Read some labels and you will be surprised at what all contains gelatin.

ETA:

Gelatin. Gel.
Protein obtained by boiling skin, tendons, ligaments, and/or bones with water. Used in shampoos, face masks, and other cosmetics. Used as a thickener for fruit gelatins and puddings (e.g., "Jello"). In candies, marshmallows, cakes, ice cream, yogurts. On photographic film and in vitamins as a coating and as capsules. Sometimes used to assist in "clearing" wines. Alternatives: carrageen (carrageenan, Irish moss), seaweeds (algin, agar-agar, kelp—used in jellies, plastics, medicine), pectin from fruits, dextrins, locust bean gum, cotton gum, silica gel. Marshmallows were originally made from the root of the marsh mallow plant. Vegetarian capsules are now available from several companies. Digital cameras don't use film.

I believe that people up in Canada eat horse meat straight up. Although do not quote me on that. It would take someone from Canada to verify that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Strictly cultural.  There are thousands of wild horses out West that SHOULD be eaten--or at least used for dog food.  

+1.

The wild horse/burro protection paid for by our tax $$ is handily pushing Bighorn Sheep off the map.

I'd happily eat horse if they'd let me shoot a few (hundred) of them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:29:02 AM EDT
[#11]
because what would our dogs eat?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#12]

I often put horse meat on my sandwiches.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Strictly cultural.  There are thousands of wild horses out West that SHOULD be eaten--or at least used for dog food.  

+1.

The wild horse/burro protection paid for by our tax $$ is handily pushing Bighorn Sheep off the map.

Best round for feral horse?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I often put horse meat on my sandwiches.

How does it taste compared to Ham, Beef, Chicken, etc.?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'll bet .375 H&H would do the job very nicely.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Horse meat tastes fine.  So do dog and rat.  It's just a cultural thing, with no basis in logic.  I saw a show on the History Channel about the first Thanksgiving.  The pilgrims were starving because they wouldn't eat the shellfish that was all around them.  Lobster was for feeding to dogs, not fit for human consumption.

I read an article once in which the author speculated that we needed a good word to substitute for "horse meat," in the same way we say "beef" for "cow meat," "pork" for pig meat, and "venison" for deer meat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is there a reason, or is it because horses are useful? Do they just taste bad? I assume it's just a cultural thing?

Horse meat is quite common in here
Very very good meat when smoked....
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Only a twisted liberal mind would believe wolves SHOULD be here because they were "native" and horses/burros SHOULD be here because they . . . weren't--and are, as you said, crowding out native animals.    

[twisted liberal mind]

But...but.....but the horses are pretty!
[/twisted liberal mind]

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Hmmm....Horses o' Truth?

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Americans in general are spoiled twits.

'You could eat Trigger?'

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I read an article once in which the author speculated that we needed a good word to substitute for "horse meat," in the same way we say "beef" for "cow meat," "pork" for pig meat, and "venison" for deer meat.

Hork?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know, I get attached to all my animals.  I have few horses and I work with them.  It would be hard for me to butcher them if I had to.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Tastes like beef to me.  I tried it in Belgium.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#25]
We're too busy turning them all into glue and Jello
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I have.  At Jack-In-The-Box.  About the time MacDonald's got outed for mixing kangaroo meat into Le Big Mac.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#28]
It's entirely cultural.  And a pretty recent phenomenon.  

Horse was a relatively common food source in the United States until the 1950s or so.

It was sold at butcher shops as a low-priced alternative to beef.  

When my father was a child (1940s-50s), his family used to eat it when money was tight.  

I dined on horse a couple of times while traveling in Europe. The first was in France where a friend's grandmother cooked us horse steaks for dinner - seems to be a fairly popular meat in France. The second time was in Denmark where it was served smoked, and sliced thin, as part of an hor d'oeuvre tray.  

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.  I'd eat it in a pinch, but probably not otherwise.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Any stigma attached to it is strictly cultural, but I'd imagine that it has to do with the fact that cow tastes better (in my opinion at least), and correct me if I am wrong but horses also require more room to raise per horse than cows?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#30]
We used to eat horse all the time in merry old Deutshland; Germans call it ferdfleish and it makes a dandy burger or meatloaf. I never had a whole cut like roast or steak, so I guess its only good for sausage and ground meat.

Meat is meat. Cook and season it right and it'll taste good, even people(so I'm told).
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Because Willy Nelson's druggie sandy vagina ass says you shouldn't.
And he's wrong.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I let my old lady have it from time to time
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't think we eat any animal that has a penis bigger than our own.  It's a cultural kind of thing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#34]
There was a time in the 1970s when beef prices went through the roof, and there was a very brief horse meat fad. I remember because my grandmother served it to us without telling us. (It tasted like beef).

I guess there was enough of a backlash that this was short-lived.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
There was a horse butcher in downtown Munich. I always wanted to try it but he was open odd hours.

I had horse in eastern France (on the border with Germany).  It was cooked in a brown gravy, sort of like a stew, and served over spätzle.  It rocked.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

+1.

happily

.338-06
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Flicka?

Flicka??

FLICKA???

Mommy, where's my pony?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Whadd'ya mean "on the table?"

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I don't think we eat any animal that has a penis bigger than our own.  It's a cultural kind of thing.

Ever seen a bull's?

It is purely cultural, and there have even been attempts to put restrictins on the export of live horses since they might end up on a Frenchman's table.

I have had it in France repeatedly.
It is very similar to beef when prepared correctly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I have.  At Jack-In-The-Box.  About the time MacDonald's got outed for mixing kangaroo meat into Le Big Mac.

I haven't eaten horse, but kangaroo meet in big macs is an urban legend.

Even here in Australia kangaroo meat can be more expensive by weight than good quality beef (I see kangaroo meat in local supermarkets from time to time). Even if it was cheaper, after adding in the costs of shipping it to another country, and the amount of meat that would have to be shipped to make if financially worth while to a company the size of McD's (considering their buying power), the facts don't stack up.

I'm not trying to defend McD's, I actually don't like the taste of their burgers at all, but the idea that McD's were buying kangaroo meat to save a few bucks just doesn't hold water.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#40]
I've eaten it in France, not bad, a little tough.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#41]
just cultural

same reason we don't eat dog or cat either
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#42]
tatses nasty. I had it and it reminded me of moose meat. Both were pretty bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Never mind
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had horse in eastern France (on the border with Germany).  It was cooked in a brown gravy, sort of like a stew, and served over spätzle.  It rocked.

Had it when I lived in Bremen (Northern Germany) fairly regularly. Fohlensteaks (colt steaks) were good eating grilled as well as smoked sausages.

When the whole BSE scare was going down, there was a huge run on horsemeat.

Interesting, some restaurants in Germany will put horse meat on the menu as it's rumored to be "non kosher" for Gypsies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#45]
The horse has been idolized as a part of the American spirit. Who can think of America without picturing a cowboy sitting on his horse.

Then you have the fact that the horse has in many parts of the country come to be associated with little girls and ponies.  They have been given cute names like Sunshine and Flowers.  Could you eat your pet?  Could you break your little girls heart by serving up some Barbecued rack of Sunshine?

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#46]
A number of years ago I read a newsprint story on the horse slaughterhouses in IL, and it said that the meat was exported, mostly to Japan.
~
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hork?

"Hork.  It's the other dark meat."
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Horse meat is actually pretty decent.. I think its just strictly social taboo that we dont eat it more widely.

As others have stated, it does make excellent sausage but its also pretty good for burgers too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes, they eat horse meat in Cannada, especially the French speaking parts.  Bo Derek is trying to put a stop to it.

Speaking of cultural stupidities, I had a job where I would occassionally take my gas grill in to work for a cookout.  June would bring the hamburger, because she raised cattle.

Halfway through the meal, Junes says "So how's Blossom?"

"Who's Blossom?" some asked.

"Blossom, you're eating Blossom" replies June.

About 3/4 of the people put down their burgers and went for the baked beans.

I said "Blossom's great!"

Childish crap.  Bambi must have screwed them up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#50]
horses dont have split hooves. Not sure if they chew their cudd

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top