Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 2:38:16 PM EDT
I been doing a lot of sales call lately. Driving all over the place on the major freeways. I see a lot of  dump trucks and I would say 85% of them don't cover their load. Lot of times rocks and crap flying around.

Its the law to cover your load.

what should i do?

Report them to the State patrol? Will they even care??

Or just pass them and mind my own beeswax?

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]
cops won't do shit unless they actually see stuff flying out.  and even then, they still probably won't do shit.

it's a huge problem here in san antonio.  my windshield needs to be replaced because of one of those douchebags that didn't cover his load.  if your windshield gets hit, get the truck's license plate number, and call up the company that owns the truck.  they are responsible for any damages caused by their negligence.  those "stay back 200 feet" signs are total bullshit.

oh, and one of our local news stations did one of those "expose"type things.  they spoke to several truck drivers who had't covered their loads and were dropping rocks all over the highway.  the truck drivers' response was "i don't really care", or "it takes too long to cover my load, so i don't do it".
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Rocks bigger than "pea gravel" won't blow out of a dump truck. Wet pea gravel doesn't blow out. Wet sand doesn't blow out. the only things that have blown out of my dump truck is dry sand and dust/ fine dirt.  When I have loads of dirt or sand that could blow I cover them. In my state as long as the load is inside the bed and isn't blowing I don't have to cover it.

If you're getting hit by rocks from a dump truck they are either because the driver didn't check and clean the the sides or top edges of his bed. Or its leaking out of his gates or holes in the bed.
If the rocks are being spit up from his tires and he has legal flaps/ fenders then that is an act of god.

If the back of his truck is blackened most likely he has been hauling Hot Asphalt and you should stay back cause his tires may have "bitch" oil on them and any rocks in the road may stick then be thrown off at great speed . The only way to get that oil off your tires is to wear it off.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Get their license number.  My dad works with truckers for a living that do asphalt and stone hauling.  I don't know about WA, but IL you are required to tarp your loads.  

It's not fun to get your car dented because some trucker blew his load all over the road.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get their license number.  My dad works with truckers for a living that do asphalt and stone hauling.  I don't know about WA, but IL you are required to tarp your loads.  

It's not fun to get your car dented because some trucker blew his load all over the road.  

Sorry, Im drukn
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
im not certain he was talking about over the road transportation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't actually LOL'ed in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys, I was talking about thier loads falling out of their trailers.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
They must be devoit Catholics...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Im a truck driver myself..  I wont drive behind those dumptrucks even in my company rig.. Bears Smokey Full Growns County Mounty Local Yokels Evil Kinevels Cops wont do shit about it either. And why would they, Id rather have them catching drunk 4-wheelers  cages  little 'uns drivers or something

WTF do I know, Im just a stupid truck driver... LOL  

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not whats in the bed of the truck that gets you windows, its the stuff they didn't clean off the tail or side after loading that falls off.  Truck tires are really good at picking up stuff in the tread, and chucking it at high speeds.

PolytechKID
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]
The problem is in the short haul drivers who get paid by the load.  And the dipshits running the loader in a sloppy fashion.

But not only spill-over, leaking tailgates and beds but also live bottom systems which haven't been properly cleaned.

Broken windshields have become all too common.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Try riding behind one of those rock haulers on a bike.  Especially when the rocks are falling through gaps or whatever.  You should see my helmet.

As for windshields, Florida's system is set up where there is no deductible for windshield replacement.  I guess with all the constant growth, it's expected.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]
It amazes me that here in SC you will get a ticket if a cop sees leaves in the bed of your truck from parking under a tree (which is why we had to cut two trees down at work last fall), but I have never seen a cop stop a dump truck no matter how much gravel the truck is spilling on the road.  You'll often see dump trucks around here dumping so much dirt and rocks continuously from the bottom edge of their unsecured tail gate that they create a road hazard, but the cops do nothing about them.z
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
One of my coworkers routinely cites truckers for littering if gravel is spilling out of their trucks.  they take it quiet personaly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top