Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 11:28:17 AM EDT
I went fishing in Tennesee about 6 months ago and I waded probably 25 miles of streams over 3 long days at a pretty slow pace.  The water was up to my armpits a lot of the time and always up to my thighs.  It was not an issue and I wasn't too tired after the trip or even sore.

So why aren't all these people walking north out of the flood zone?  If they started at 6AM they could be miles north and dry within just a day or two.  I know they can get around because they are looting.

I would have already been 60 miles north of there by now.  Of course I did grow up in the woods and I am probably a little more "nature resistant" than most of these inner city people just camping out like slugs.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, directly north of New Orleans is Lake Pontchartrain.  Take a look at the Google Map area and you'll see that there's really nowhere to go.  I-10 is partially flooded, and I'll bet the LP Causeway isn't doing much better.

Actually, the Google Map gives a pretty good indication of what, geographically, the area is like.  Also, keep in mind that it's hard to just start walking if you don't have any food, water, etc. and all the food and water are being brought to the area you currently are.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=New+Orleans,+LA
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I went fishing in Tennesee about 6 months ago and I waded probably 25 miles of streams over 3 long days at a pretty slow pace.  The water was up to my armpits a lot of the time and always up to my thighs.  It was not an issue and I wasn't too tired after the trip or even sore.

So why aren't all these people walking north out of the flood zone?  If they started at 6AM they could be miles north and dry within just a day or two.  I know they can get around because they are looting.

I would have already been 60 miles north of there by now.  Of course I did grow up in the woods and I am probably a little more "nature resistant" than most of these inner city people just camping out like slugs.  Am I missing something?

That would require ambition.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would require ambition.

And you don't get a goodie bag that way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You guy know what I am saying though.  Why don't they hike a little west then north.  I know there is a lake north of there but as long as they head towards the dry inland.  Why are they just sitting around like lumps of turds?

If some one is sick and you are in waist deep water they are even easier to carry by two people because they are virtually weightless in water.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Walking out?!

Jeez, don't you know Uncle Sam is supposed to come in on a big white Blackhawk and save dem all?

(I'm setting up my BOB and pack to be able to walk out of Richmond if the need arose.)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
What we are seeing is the prison riot mentality applied on a large scale.  When a prison riot happens, the inmates band together to hold what is essentially a rotting piece of shit, but it's THEIR rotting piece of shit.  People down there are seizing power because there is power to be seized.  They are shooting at rescue folks because the rescue folks threaten their new order.  The looters don't want peace, they don't want to return to the status quo, because BK (before Katrina) they were nobodies.  Now they are getting headlines and the attention of the rest of the country.  There are certainly thousands of people trapped down there who aren't looting, so why don't they start walking?  Well, because how far are you going to get without any food, water, clean clothes (I'd imagine most of these people are wearing what they've been wearing for days now), etc?

We're all taught to believe that, sooner or later, we'll be taken care of.  Remember, these are the people who chose not to evacuate (or couldn't afford to evacuate) last week when the order came down from the government.  I bet many of them don't leave because they have nowhere to go, and because they think that any day now the situation will return to normal.  I dunno, just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Walking out?!

Jeez, don't you know Uncle Sam is supposed to come in on a big white Blackhawk and save dem all?

(I'm setting up my BOB and pack to be able to walk out of Richmond if the need arose.)

Can we shoot at it first before it lands to pick us up?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh, I could get pretty far with no food or water.  I did that fishing trip on sack lunches and that NO water will not kill you on the first gulp or two if you are that thirsty.  How much energy does it take to walk all day?  Hell waitresses don't fall out from being on their feet all day.  

The human body can live a week without food or water.  I would be long out of there by then.  Where are all my military guys on this board that have done 5, 10, 20, or longer mileage fun runs and hikes?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
What I noticed while watching footage is that there are mostly fat, lazy, welfare fucks that were surrounded by water.  There is no way they are willing to walk anywhere.  They are just waiting for the .gov bus ride.  Afterward, they will all have a new reason to suck the .gov tittie, and it comes right out of your paycheck.  How dare you expect these oppressed people to walk.......
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Walk?

That would require personal responsibility.

Plus, I'll bet a fair number of the N. Orleans finest citizens planned the recreational activity we are seeing, knowing that the city would be mostly empty and AFU.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Why didn't they start walking three days ago?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Oh, I could get pretty far with no food or water.  I did that fishing trip on sack lunches and that NO water will not kill you on the first gulp or two if you are that thirsty.  How much energy does it take to walk all day?  Hell waitresses don't fall out from being on their feet all day.  

The human body can live a week without food or water.  I would be long out of there by then.  Where are all my military guys on this board that have done 5, 10, 20, or longer mileage fun runs and hikes?

I understand that your question is rhetorical.  I'm not trying to make excuses for these people; hell, if I found myself there I sure as hell would start walking.  But have you seen the general public lately?  There are an awful lot of people who could not be on their feet all day, or walk 5, 10, 20 or longer miles in one day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When you went 25 miles, I assume you had trout to eat, and you probably carried a water filter.  Or were you resupplied...?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Even a reasonably fatassed human being could cover 15-20 miles a day walking.  They had THREE days of warning.  If nothing else they could have been out of the flood zone in the time that they had.  A fit person probably could have covered 20-30 miles without any heavy equipment.  

If add in a bicycle you could get 50-75 miles a day. Shit my GF could have traveled 400+ miles in 3 days on a bicycle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#15]
If it ment my life was at risk I could walk for three or four days with nothing in the water and I would make sure I would be alive and not die down there.

Hell I am sure that with a little will power my 50 year old mother could make it since my 55 year old dad did the stream hike with me and just had a sore heel when he was done.  Plus those fat asses are like camels.  They could technically like longer than me with all that stored food.

Edit:  We stayed in an old one room school house on the stream side that was the equavelent of a barn.  We stopped and looted bought some bread and ham and water and had sandwiches each day.  It didn't kill us.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I so badly want to say something about walking north...but I don't want to get your thread locked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I so badly want to say something about walking north...but I don't want to get your thread locked.

If it is that my thread is stupid go ahead and say it.  If it is that the N.O. people are stupid.................................................go ahead and say it.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I find it interesting, that the MORE pictures I look at, the more pictures I see that the ground is perfectly dry.  Even areas of New Orleans.  It's not COMPLETELY underwater.  There are dry areas.

There are even pictures of people looting stores, and there's not a spec of water around it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Exactly!  If you are going to loot, loot a bicycle and leave!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#20]
All the electric scooters from Wal-MArt and the area grocery stores have dead batteries so I guess most of the welfare recipients are immobile now

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top