Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 5:34:39 AM EDT
With the higher price of barrels of oil, why doesn't motor oil prices fluctuate like gas prices? Are they made using different types of oil, or refined differently?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:37:07 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
With the higher price of barrels of oil, why doesn't motor oil prices fluctuate like gas prices? Are they made using different types of oil, or refined differently?

They do somewhat, just not as much.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought they have been creeping up a little.  Not much, but a little.  

vmax84

By the way............Dad had a 64 (or was it a 65) Scout.  Great, great 4 wheel drive.  4 cylinder 3 speed vehicle.  That old girl plowed a lot of snow and hauled a lot of wood for us.  Was a sad day when Dad sold it.  We basically all grew up with that truck since he owned it when it was 2 years old.  

Dad never cried in public, not that I saw, but when the Scout left the property for the last time, I swear I saw a tear come from his eye.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#4]
say you use 750 gallons of gas a year and change your oil 2x at 5 qts a change.  That's 750 gallons gas vs 2.5 gallons of oil, demand for motor oil is 300x less
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
say you use 750 gallons of gas a year and change your oil 2x at 5 qts a change.  That's 750 gallons gas vs 2.5 gallons of oil, demand for motor oil is 300x less

Plus a lot of people these days use synthetic oil which contains no organic oil compounds. Too bad someone can't produce synthetic gas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus a lot of people these days use synthetic oil which contains no organic oil compounds. Too bad someone can't produce synthetic gas.

We can produce synthetic gasoline. It costs several times more than gasoline distilled from crude oil, so it's makes no econoimc sense.

Synthetic motor oil costs more than petroleum based motor oil, but is engineered to provide greater benefits, hence it makes economic sense.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]
you have to change your oil??

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope it hasn't gone up too much. I just discovered I'm out of 5W-30. Last time I bought generic 5W30 at WallyWorld for $.84 per quart or about $4+ per 5 quart bottle.
I've never seen the point to name brand petro oils,since the WallyWorld and others buy their oil from the same branded name providers on a rotating basis. Synthetics are another story of course.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Essayons

Not unless the AOAP report says so...

But the civies think oil is only good for 3000 miles...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Because the liberal media doesn't instil fear of motor oil prices rising $0.10  a quart, causing a rush on the store inventories and causing people to hoarde oil.

That is why.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Essayons

Yeah, what's up with that?  I thought you just added a quart when it got low.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:22:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A gallon of Pennzoil is 8.97 right now.  It is good for 3000 miles.  A gallon of Mobil Synthetic is 24.97, and it rated for 15,000 miles.  Regular oil is actually MORE expensive to use than synthetic if you are following a 3000 mile oil change schedule. With an extended likfe filter, and synthetic oil, you can make a more sensible choice on your next oil change.

I've got a car that hit past 180k miles, it's been on synthetic for years. I change the oil twice a year because I'm lazy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Motor oil sits on the shelf longer and isn't as affected by price increases in crude.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, what's up with that?  I thought you just added a quart when it got low.

ya know, i do that in the thunderturd and end up changing my oil every 2500 miles.  all i do these days is change the filter in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top