Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:12:37 AM EDT

I try a million different types to no avail.

Overactive glands?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It goes under your arms and is not to be ingested like a "push-up" ice cream treat.

Seriously, though, you may want to try the aluminum-based powders.  They come in a jar and you apply with fingertips.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you specifically need to not sweat?  Would a deodorant work instead?

There is some evidence to suggest that anti-perspirants with aluminum may increase the risk of cancer and Parkinson's.  No idea if it's true, though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
BeetleB, You have a condition called "hyperhydrosis".  It runs in my family.  My brother had to have surgery to stop his sweating.  They cut some nerved under his arm pit and he says he now only sweats below the waist.  My son's feet drip with sweat without super absorbent socks on.  I too am a sweathog.

Sorry you have to be a sweathog but thank your genes for that.

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BeetleB, You have a condition called "hyperhydrosis".  It runs in my family.  My brother had to have surgery to stop his sweating.  They cut some nerved under his arm pit and he says he now only sweats below the waist.  My son's feet drip with sweat without super absorbent socks on.  I too am a sweathog.

Sorry you have to be a sweathog but thank your genes for that.

lawdog

lol

I'll try the non-aluminum stuff too
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#5]
i have to change deodorant.  every month or so.   my body gets used to it, and it doens't work anymore.  

old spice seems to either work the best.  or cover up the odor better than the others
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Theres a difference between sweating and stinking. Just because someone sweats, doesn't necessarilly mean they smell bad.

I sweat heavily, but it doesn't stink.  I've asked, my wife, my doctor, my co workers, ect.

Sweating is a natural bodily function and different peoples sweat odor ranges from odorless to outright repulsive.
Deodorant is not going to change the amount of sweat that your body produces, it only masks any offensive odor it may contain.
Anti perpirants may stop the flow of perspiration from one set of sweat glands only to redirect it to others.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Have your thyroid and kidney functions checked.

If they are normal, then its just something to deal with. possibly stress related?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted: I try a million different types to no avail. Overactive glands?
You have to remove the protective foil or plastic film before you attempt to apply the deodorant.

If the regular deodorants don't work, you might have to go "old school" and visit a oriental or latino market. They've got stuff that can cover up "old people's smell".
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The aluminum-based stuff is great if you're bald.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]
If I dont wear antipersperant/deoderant im fine but if I do wear it I start to stink more readily.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got the same problem.  I don't stink, just sweat a lot.  I can only wear a white t-shirt a dozen times or so before the pits are stained and I sweat thru my outer shirt around the pits in the dead of winter.  If it wasn't for those two things I wouldn't care.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Go buy a bottle of Certain Dri. I sweat alot and this is the only thing that stops it. Make sure you follow the directions on the bottle and after a while you will only have to use it every few days.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had the same problem since elementary school.  I would soak through shirts just laying around on the couch.  In an office environment I would sweat so much as to soak through an undershirt, dress shirt and sport coat.  Stress and physical exersion had little to no noticable change on my underarm sweating.  No odor but lots of liquid.  I tried every anti-persperant I could get my hands on, but nothing would work any better than anything else and all very poorly.  After seeing a dermitologist I was prescribed an anti-persperant called "Drysol".  While most anti-persperants based using aluminum chloride contain roughly 2-3% active solution, Dry-sol contained about 20%.  Applied VERY sparingly to my underarms before bed, would leave my completely dry for anywhere from a few days to a week or more.  I say apply sparingly because I found an application of too much would cause a chemical burn and rash to develope on the affected skin.  However I've found the right quantity of application that works for me.  I've been using this stuff for about 12 years now and I think I'm only on my 3rd bottle.  That the bottle only holds maybe 4 table spoons of liquid should give you an idea as to how sparingly it is applied.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hope this helps

Wow.  Mewonders if this product is safe (?)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps

me wonders the $$$$$
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hope this helps

I'd rather try maxipads in the armpits first.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Heck you might be like me where antipersperants just make you sweat.  I switched to just plain right guard deoderant and stopped having any problems.  Now the only time that I have any sweat problems is when I let my pit hair get to long.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#19]
It helps if you WASH first...very well, in the shower...with a good deoderant soap.  

Also; NEVER just use the pit stop stick on a dirty pit.  You simply contaminate the stick.

Good Luck!  

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Shave your armpits.  I know, I know, it's not masculine.  For your deod to work, it has to reach the skin of your armpit.  If you don't want to shave every so often, just give yourself a crew cut.  Not only will your deod work better, but you will have less body order.  No matter how much you wash, armpit hair holds the bacteria that cause order when they react to sweat.  Lose some of the hair and you will have better results.

Many older men do this.  We are past the stage of caring what other people think of our arm pits and are only interested in low maintenance cleanliness.

And no, I am not gay.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Maxim

Follow instructions

Beyond that are you using a deodorant or an antiperspirant?  Use an antiperspirant with aluminum hydroxide.  Maxim is stronger.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#22]
just put tampons or maxi-pads under each armpit
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Hvae you tried taking the top off the container?????
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Also use that wash cloth and scrub vigorously in the pits.  Hell trim that bush there too since it holds on to the funk.  Apply liberal amounts of pit juice to the offending area.

Max
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shave your armpits.  I know, I know, it's not masculine.  For your deod to work, it has to reach the skin of your armpit.  If you don't want to shave every so often, just give yourself a crew cut.  Not only will your deod work better, but you will have less body order.  No matter how much you wash, armpit hair holds the bacteria that cause order when they react to sweat.  Lose some of the hair and you will have better results.

Many older men do this.  We are past the stage of caring what other people think of our arm pits and are only interested in low maintenance cleanliness.

And no, I am not gay.

LOL--preach it, Brother.  

I'm a "crewcutter" and I'm not nearly as old as you geezers!

Just take scissors, pull hair, cut, repeat.  I'm not a sweater, per se, but I do get hot.

<---------------
TX

My copious leg hair made it easy to wear shorts through the winter months in college.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And no, I am not gay.

LOL--preach it, Brother.  hr

I was a powerlifter in high school, and spent alot of time in the gyms. Back then at least, it was common to shave your pits, or use a beard trimmer, hair clippers etc... Those of us prone to sweating, don't like to be dripping during a workout.. this was a pretty good solution, at least it helped.

If i'm not going out anyplace, I'll skip deodorant after a shower. Theres no "scent" on me unless I work up a sweat, or till about shower time the next day. Some guys stink and some dont... I'd say I fall into the middle. I've never knowingly offended anyone, but if I can smell it, then its a personal problem for me... I dont want to be embarrassed. I also like garlic and that certainly does not help.

Anti-perspirant is what I mainly use. Many don't work for me. The best brands I've found are Mitchum and Adidas. Either lasts about 24hrs. I tend to switch between the two brands.

Deodorant only, seems to make me sweat worse and, at least to my nose, makes smell more of an issue, like accentuates it. Therefore using nothing is usually better than using deodorant only.

If you have scent issues... theres a product called "Body mint". You might consider reading their site and maybe giving it a try. http://www.bodymint.com Supposed to rid you of stink.

My concern with anti-perspirant is blocking your pores, which isn't good. You can even get infected. I have not had any problems, although certain brands like Speed stick will give me a rash and burn like hell. But anyways... this is why I skip putting the stuff on if I'm just sitting around the house... gives my pits a chance to breathe/sweat as normal once in awhile.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#28]
This thread stinks.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps

me wonders the $$$$$

If used in the right doses, I don't have any problem at all with it.  As for the $$$, it's a prescription that every HMO and PPO I've been on has paid for.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top