Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2005 3:17:05 AM EDT
3 year old female cat. I'm gone at night, so cat is alone all night long. I arrive back at my house around 7 am. Walk into the house and the cat is rubbing its head up against me, the corners of the walls, etc. I turn my back on the cat and start walking away and the little bogger will sometimes make a charge at my legs.

Why does this little sh$$ do this?

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:22:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vmax84:
3 year old female cat. I'm gone at night, so cat is alone all night long. I arrive back at my house around 7 am. Walk into the house and the cat is rubbing its head up against me, the corners of the walls, etc. I turn my back on the cat and start walking away and the little bogger will sometimes make a charge at my legs.

Why does this little sh$$ do this?

vmax84

Shes mad cause you left her.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:23:24 AM EDT
She is playing with you. Like how kittens play fight with each other. It means she misses you and you are part of her family.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:25:06 AM EDT
It's telling you ya should have got a dog instead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:25:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 3:27:22 AM EDT by g3shooter]
she misses you, my german shepherd jumps at me when I get home from school! He is a good boy though!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:26:03 AM EDT
It's a cat, it's what they do.

Just be glad it's not big enough to play "The Ghost and the Darkness" with you.

The solution to your problem is replacing it with a dog.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:26:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 3:27:41 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
She wants to play with you.

My cat likes to latch onto my socks and let me drag him around the kitchen.
(I hate it when he tries that when I'm not wearing socks.... )
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:29:12 AM EDT
she does it because you didn't kick her in the head hard enough.

i have been around cats that thought it was cool to jump up on my bed when i was sleeping.
i would kick them off the bed and in short order they learned that behavior was unacceptable.
it's my house not the cat's so if the cat wants to live there it needs to learn to play by my rules.
the rules are simple. no scratching or biting people and stay off the furniture.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:29:19 AM EDT
Playing with me??..................the little booger scares the crap out of me sometimes. I'll be walking across the kitchen floor and then all of a sudden she is slamming into my leg.

If she were 20 pounds heavier (she is actually a pretty small cat), she'd be dangerous. Pound for pound, it's hard to think of something more powerful than a cat.

The things a guy will do for kitty (I'm watching the girlfriends cat for her).

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:33:34 AM EDT
She missed you and wants you to pet her probably, when you walk away she feels ignored and gets ticked off, or just wants to get attention and play, had a cat once that would always attack the back of my head while I was laying on the floor watching T.V. and ignored her, just being a cat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:36:30 AM EDT

Playing with me??..................the little booger scares the crap out of me sometimes. I'll be walking across the kitchen floor and then all of a sudden she is slamming into my leg.

If she were 20 pounds heavier (she is actually a pretty small cat), she'd be dangerous. Pound for pound, it's hard to think of something more powerful than a cat.

vmax84

or a chigger

if you don't like the behavior then correct the cat and it will change.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:37:01 AM EDT
That's normal, as long as your cat doesn't really ATTACK you , like mine does.

Consider yourself lucky, I walk away with blood dripping down my arms when my cat goes after me.
That's one tough feline, a little nuts, but she a good mouser so I keep her.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:41:28 AM EDT
I just feel it's odd I have to walk "backwards" thru the kitchen when I first get home in fear of being attacked. If I walk way from the cat when I first get home, that little booger will "nail me" from behind.

So, when I first get home, I have to "face the cat". Weird, huh?!!

vmax84

Nice cat, though. Kinda tempermental at times, but I've never been around cats before this one. Always been around dogs. They really are different than a dog.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:43:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By oneshot1kill:

Consider yourself lucky, I walk away with blood dripping down my arms when my cat goes after me.

Damn....................no this cat doesn't do that. She'll make a run at me, bounce off of me, then go tearing off into the next room. No blood, but still kinda spooky..............possesed cat.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:43:19 AM EDT
like said above, the cat wants to play with you. It's their nature to stalk and pounce their prey. A fun way to play with the cat is to put 2-3 gym socks on you hand and shadow box with the cat. you'll both have fun!

cat owner here
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:46:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
like said above, the cat wants to play with you. It's their nature to stalk and pounce their prey. A fun way to play with the cat is to put 2-3 gym socks on you hand and shadow box with the cat. you'll both have fun!

cat owner here

Good idea.

vmax84

I always get a laugh when I read "kidnapping survivor" on your avatar. That's pretty cool.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:50:19 AM EDT
I had my cat declawed on all four feet. She seems hapier now and her claws don't get stuck in the carpet. She is just a big ball of fur for my daughter to pull on.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:51:13 AM EDT
I put on a pair of leather work gloves to play with mine or she would of shredded me, mean little devil loved to play rough, really can be a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:55:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 3:55:39 AM EDT by SheepDog_556]
Occasionaly this monster:

will attach himself to my calf, claws, teeth and all.

The rest of the time he naps on my chest, or curls himself around my head when I am sleeping.

Happens about once a year. He did it once to my wife, when I was home. Mistake. He now knows that pouncing on MrsSheep is verbotten.

I have three 100+lb GSDs that learned that hard way not to screw with him.

Everyone now and then, I think he's just testing the waters to see if I am still the Alpha.

Sheep

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:06:53 AM EDT
I have 2 blue eyed cats and they are both nuts.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:10:46 AM EDT
We've got a similar problem with a cat we just got a few months ago. This isn't acceptable behavior and if we can't break him of it, we've got to get rid of him. He's an outdoor cat and we got him as a mouser. So far, he's a miserable failure at this little job.

When he does this I try to break him of it but I'm not making a lot of progress at it. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:54:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hsvhobbit:
We've got a similar problem with a cat we just got a few months ago. This isn't acceptable behavior and if we can't break him of it, we've got to get rid of him. He's an outdoor cat and we got him as a mouser. So far, he's a miserable failure at this little job.

When he does this I try to break him of it but I'm not making a lot of progress at it. Any suggestions?

does he know that is his job?
you can "teach" him but you have to get a few little mice a big rubber made tub or a kiddy pool that will hold the mice. and treat to reward the cat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:09 AM EDT
sounds like they got a death wish, also cats make great chilli meat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:20:20 AM EDT
A little Dr. Scholls athlete foot spray on the cat's bunghole will fix that right quick.

Don't ask....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:32:11 AM EDT
My cat will stalk and attack me, she's just being playful. It's funny to see that wild look in her eyes. Cats are predators, it's in their nature. She'll "maul" my hand sometimes while I'm petting her, she still has her back claws and will kick and bite my hand. She doesn't break the skin, but I usually pull my hand away and tell her "no" anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:39:08 AM EDT

vmax84

If there are no toys, maybe you became one. Personally, that cat would learn quickly not to do that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:41:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By oneshot1kill:

Damn....................no this cat doesn't do that. She'll make a run at me, bounce off of me, then go tearing off into the next room. No blood, but still kinda spooky..............possesed cat.

vmax84

Christ, she's just playing with you. Chase her down and rough her up a bit (as in petting her vigorously - even rubbing her furr the wrong way ), if you can catch her. She'll love it. That's what she wants, attention.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:55:24 AM EDT
My #1 cat used to do this when I first got him. When #2 cat came on the scene he quit attacking me and started attacking her. It's all in the name of good fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:07:46 AM EDT
Mine attacks me all the time, I beat the snot out of him in return, and two minutes later he's rubbing on my leg.

My least favorite thing he does is when I'm typing, he'll come up and snag one claw on the medial side of my arm, right in the white fishbelly flesh just under the armpit. He pulls out a little chunk of meat and then expects me to play with him.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:10:44 AM EDT
Because feline brains are very similar to female brains and, uh . . . . .

Oh shit, I can see the mob forming already. I am outa this thread.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:11:09 AM EDT

Why does the cat attack me?

vmax84

Because cats suck?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:12:46 AM EDT
Because she wants this:

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:12:58 AM EDT
She is sad that the cops shot your dog.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:14:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ndenway:
sounds like they got a death wish, also cats make great chilli meat.

It is better to be thought of as stupid than to remove all doubt.

I have no doubt about you now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:16:45 AM EDT
It's normal cat behavior. Get it another cat for her to play like that with.

One of our cats is the same way. If you don't give it a wide berth when walking past her she'll sometimes just take a swipe at you for no good reason
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:17:05 AM EDT

Everyone now and then, I think he's just testing the waters to see if I am still the Alpha.

Those are the best fights!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:22:21 AM EDT
She’s playing.

My cat is pretty big (13 pounds and not fat) and he was a feral stray so he can be a bit of a handful when he plays.
If he gets riled up I have leather gloves I wear or else he will thrash me. They have fur and don’t understand something as fragile as us (especially given how big we are compared to them).
Top Top