Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:04:52 PM EDT
Never really understood the purpose of have both right and left hand drive vehicles. Wouldn't it make cars cheaper to make a unified system?

What caused the seperation between the US and Euroland?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:06:27 PM EDT

That's a British thing, not European.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:07:08 PM EDT
england is not europe.
here, have some visual aids
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:07:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

Euroland is fun to say.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:07:23 PM EDT

And Japanese.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:07:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kelone:
england is not europe.
here, have some visual aids
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg

Moar piktures.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 2:09:04 PM EDT by 20iner]
Britian, Japan, Aus, India and I think maybe a few African countries are the only ones to drive on the left.

Sorry to burst your anti-Euro bubble.

ETA:

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:08:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 2:09:58 PM EDT by Andras]
Uhh, no.

Wiki says:
Today road traffic in the following seven European jurisdictions drives on the left: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, Malta and Cyprus . None shares a land border with a country that drives on the right and all were once part of the British Empire. Some Commonwealth countries and other former British colonies, such as Australia, Barbados, Hong Kong, Singapore, New Zealand, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, South Africa and Trinidad & Tobago drive on the left, but others such as Canada, Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and the United States drive on the right. Other countries that drive on the left in Asia are Thailand, Indonesia, Bhutan, Nepal, East Timor and Japan. In South America, only Guyana and Suriname drive on the left. Most of the Pacific countries drive on the left, in line with Australia and New Zealand, with Samoa joining most recently, on 7 September 2009, the first country for three decades to change the side on which it drives.[18]

ETA- 7 people posted while I was off looking at Wiki. No one had posted when I hit the reply button, damn Ninjas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 2:11:00 PM EDT by ziarifleman]

Originally Posted By 20iner:
Britian, Japan, Aus, India and I think maybe a few African countries are the only ones to drive on the left.

Kenya, South Africa, Namibia, and other countries which were under the Brits?

ETA: It's strange that we and Canada drive differently. Maybe we should switch?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:10:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 2:11:00 PM EDT by Vicinity]

ETA:

I love Euroland.

ETA: I said moar piktures, not keep posting the same one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:11:30 PM EDT

Why do we use MPH. I demand more KMH.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:13:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 2:15:49 PM EDT by rfm05]
Apparently the OP has never traveled much in Europe. The UK is unique in its RHD cars, and the other countries with RHD in the world were once controlled by Britain for the most part, except for Japan and maybe a couple other small islands.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:14:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Vicinity:

50mph is 80kph, we need to drive slower, it's for the children.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 2:16:21 PM EDT by fatalerror113]

Because most people in the US have no idea what a kilometer is unless they mentally convert it into miles or yards.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:17:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fatalerror113:

Because most people in the US have no idea what a kilometer is unless they mentally convert it into miles or yards.

Obama want to change all the signs to create jobs. We should change them to KMH.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:22:57 PM EDT
How does going from a right hand drive country to a left hand drive country work? Is there a ramp in the middle of the road?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:27:01 PM EDT

ETA:

I love Euroland.

ETA: I said moar piktures, not keep posting the same one.
Yeah, Yurroland is pretty cool.

Sorry, didn't know that pic was already posted.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:05:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 4:07:14 PM EDT by GunLvrPHD]
How does going from a right hand drive country to a left hand drive country work? Is there a ramp in the middle of the road?

I forget exactly how it works but when the US and UK invaded Normandy anyone in the British sector drove on the left hand side and in the US drove on the right hand side. British and US supply trucks did supply both sectors and there was a way to switch them over.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:53:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

I forget exactly how it works but when the US and UK invaded Normandy anyone in the British sector drove on the left hand side and in the US drove on the right hand side. British and US supply trucks did supply both sectors and there was a way to switch them over.

TTT. Any more detail?

Of course, I could Google it, but what fun is that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:03:26 PM EDT
Ahh, the U.K.
Right hand drive, (Right side drive), narrow roads, round-a-bouts, dot matrix informational signs, speed cameras, more blind corners than a Helen Keller documentary.
You want "Farfegnuegen" England-Scotland-Ireland are the places to go!

Oh yeah, don't be a stupid fuck American and tell the folks of the U.K. they are part of Europe. They don't like it, well, Ireland might since they're sucking on the teet of a bailout,,,
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:03:57 PM EDT
The principle reason the Brits drive on the left and we drive on the right had to do with the way the whip was used on horse drawn carriages. In England the practice was for the whip to keep dogs, kids and the like from interfering with the carriage and horses. While here in the U.S. the whip was used over the horses backs. Since most drivers are right handed, those in England sat on the right, while those in the U.S. sat on the left. The practice of driving on a particular side of the road was so that the drivers could watch the wheel hubs as they passed each other and keep them from colliding.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:07:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ArimoDave:
The principle reason the Brits drive on the left and we drive on the right had to do with the way the whip was used on horse drawn carriages. In England the practice was for the whip to keep dogs, kids and the like from interfering with the carriage and horses. While here in the U.S. the whip was used over the horses backs. Since most drivers are right handed, those in England sat on the right, while those in the U.S. sat on the left. The practice of driving on a particular side of the road was so that the drivers could watch the wheel hubs as they passed each other and keep them from colliding.

Hell, I thought it was because so many English property lines ran right up to the roadway and right side driver kept the wagons and coaches from colliding with the stone walls,,,
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:14:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kelone:

england is not europe.

It is now.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:17:02 PM EDT
Never really understood the purpose of have both right and left hand drive vehicles. Wouldn't it make cars cheaper to make a unified system?

Metric roads.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:49:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bcw107:

Metric roads.

And that crazy fucker King George...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:09:28 PM EDT
I suppose a better question is, is LHD or RHD better?

Shifting gears with the right hand just seems . . . so . . . natural. At least for right-handed people.

Our race tracks also tend to be counter-clockwise, while in Britain they are clockwise.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:26:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mike_314:

Lot of Mexicans around here seem to think our speed limits are in KPH.

65KPH is ~40mph and that is waaaay to fucking slow for the fast lane. Stay out of it please.

I have paced one or two to verify it, sure enough 65KPH on the nose.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:56:45 PM EDT
well seeing as i can tell that you have never been to europe and maybe only been to england..... lol

S

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:04:39 PM EDT
Traveling from the states, then to the UK, then onto the mainland Europe, back to the UK, then back to the states.

Really fucks up your ability to stay in the correct lane. I spent 3 years on the UK. I moved back to the states ten years ago. Yesterday I came across an urban round about. I tried to go left around the round about. Complete mind fuck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:11:02 PM EDT
I hate right seated cars.

I will not drive one. I will not be a passenger in one. I will walk from Tibet to Frankfurt before entering the personal hell that is a right seated car.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:11:06 PM EDT
If by most of the world driving in a certain way as making it a defacto standard, than the United States is in that standard. MOST of the world drives on the right side of the road. That is mostly a British thing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:56:34 AM EDT
Probably some sort of conspiracy to develop domestic car production. They also use 220 volt electricity so they would need to produce different appliances and such. Sneaky fuckers!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:58:09 AM EDT
It's probably a legend, but I seem to recall reading that RHD followed the notion that one should meet another on a roadway with his sword arm on his strong side.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:12:58 AM EDT
Dyslectic?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:37:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fatalerror113:

If there's one nice thing to say about kilometers, it's that you can say cool shit like "It's three clicks up the road".

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:59:44 AM EDT

The ATLANTIC OCEAN, putting it simply....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:28:17 AM EDT
Your thread title just caused me to have epileptic seizure.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:42:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lootie23:
Your thread title just caused me to have epileptic seizure.

Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:57:06 AM EDT
Regarding race tracks: road courses tend to be clockwise even in the US. Watkins Glen runs clockwise. The circle tracks do tend to run the other way though.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:00:21 AM EDT
Sweden used to drive on the left, but changed over about 35 years ago. It was pretty neat the way they did it. They declared change-over day to be a national holiday, so there would be no one driving to work, and no delivery trucks on the road. They closed all roads in the country to motorized traffic, except for the crews that were changing the traffic signs from one side of the road to the other, and repainting road stripes where necessary.
From what I understand, the Swedes had very little problem with the change-over. No mass pile-ups with dozens killed, or anything like that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:06:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 5:07:26 AM EDT by BustinCaps]
Probably the same reason Americans can haz teh hideous thread titles...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:07:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By raven:

And Japanese.

And Australian and New Zealander, and many others.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:16:30 AM EDT
I always thought it was because of the way horseless carriages developed. The hand brakes, etc, were levers mounted on the outside of the body, so mostly right handed people would have to sit on the right to work the levers with their strong right hands.

Later development favored centering the controls and shift levers, so the driver would then have to sit on the left in order to work the center mounted levers with their stronger and more dextrous right hands.

To me, sitting on the right and operating the shifter and other controls with the weak and clumsy left hand is totally AFU, and the only thing I can think of to explain it is that the early automotive pioneers in the UK had an attitude of "we invented this in the UK, therefore it's the only possible way, it's perfect, harumph, harumph". The American inventors, and others, said "fuck that" and built their horseless carriages the way that made ergonomic sense for most of the population.

I'm probably wrong. It's probably based on how the early auto pioneers wiped their butts, or something.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:23:56 AM EDT
Honestly, cant all you Mexicans tell the difference between Britain and Europe?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:30:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kaygee:
Honestly, cant all you Mexicans tell the difference between Britain and Europe?

For real. It's easy too. The well made cars with steering wheels on the correct side are European. The unreliable, expensive pieces of shit with the flickering headlights and the wheel on the wrong side are British.

There's a parallel with cuisine, but that's another thread entirely.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:35:07 AM EDT

most of them are islands. in the case of thailand, i have never seen a vehicle actually cross the border.

why did samoa change? it seemed to be just fine driving on the right...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:41:03 AM EDT
What clinched it in the USA was Henry Ford. The Model T was the first car that most anyone could afford, you could get it any color as long as it was black, and the steering wheel was only on the left side.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:41:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By crazyquik:

Shifting gears with the right hand just seems . . . so . . . natural. At least for right-handed people.

Our race tracks also tend to be counter-clockwise, while in Britain they are clockwise.

i had a problem the first time i tried, went for the blinker and the windshield wipers start. kept saying, "left side left side" over and over. after a couple weeks it's easy enough.
if you're driving a (right handed) stick and you reach under with your left hand and switch the gears it's kinda the same. that part doesn't bother me but the goddamn wipers and blinkers do. one car mfg (i think ford?) has them in the same place as we do, at least in NZ. i think it's ford. fuck i dunno.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:50:56 AM EDT
I have never been in a country with left hand drive - but I have been in many left hand drive cars in a country with right hand drive, but which imports most of its cars from Japan.

I can only assume that if Samoa switched over the dark side, it was due to cheaper and more reliable cars from Japan or Australia. They are awful far from major right hand drive markets, and it is easier when you are an island.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:52:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hitower:
Originally Posted By crazyquik:

i had a problem the first time i tried, went for the blinker and the windshield wipers start. kept saying, "left side left side" over and over. after a couple weeks it's easy enough.
if you're driving a (right handed) stick and you reach under with your left hand and switch the gears it's kinda the same. that part doesn't bother me but the goddamn wipers and blinkers do. one car mfg (i think ford?) has them in the same place as we do, at least in NZ. i think it's ford. fuck i dunno.

I don't know how you go back and forth... I still have problems reaching for where the hazards, brights (sometimes stepping for) or other controls were on other cars I drove a lot. If I had to think about which way to turn, I'd be farked.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:54:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mike_314:

In SE MI, we get a lot of drivers from Canaduh. I was driving on a 50 MPH zone and wondered why the fuck a Canadian car was doing only about 30 MPH (roughly 50 KPH) - then I realized the sign said "SPEED LIMIT 50" and it didn't say KPH or MPH.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top