Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 7:09:07 AM EDT
Sent an email to someone using MS Outlook because Gmail does not allow me to send a .zip due to it being an executable file. I keep getting "Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's e-mail provider rejected it." Even so I can send a regular text email to the person through Gmail with out any issue. And yes I copy/pasted the email address between the two.

I had less issues with AOL Mail than MS Outlook.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#1]
How is the recipients email provider blocking ZIP files a problem with Outlook?
Put the zip file in a public Dropbox folder, and invite them to the dropbox folder
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably because their server is blocking .zip attachments. Has nothing to do with outlook.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
As others said the receiving email server is blocking the zip file.  To get around it: rename the .zip file to .txt and tell the person receiving it to change it back to .zip when they save it.  Problem solved.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:13:47 AM EDT
[#4]
just rename the extension and tell the person you are sending it to to change it back on their end after downloading it.

---edit - damn beat while typing!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]
"Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's e-mail provider rejected it."

Nothing to do with Outlook.  

Pro-tip:  Rename the .ZIP file to .TXT before sending.  The recipient can change it back to .ZIP and extract.

Edit:  On the internet, things move fast.  

Oh, and I hate the gmail interface.  Outlook es muy bueno.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sent an email to someone using MS Outlook because Gmail does not allow me to send a .zip due to it being an executable file. I keep getting "Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's e-mail provider rejected it." Even so I can send a regular text email to the person through Gmail with out any issue. And yes I copy/pasted the email address between the two.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Brought to you by the same geniuses who developed Windoze 8?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably because their server is blocking .zip attachments. Has nothing to do with outlook.
View Quote

This.  Outlook has its faults, but this isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#9]
This is clearly not a "pilot error" situation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's e-mail provider rejected it."

Pro-tip:  Rename the .ZIP file to .TXT before sending.  The recipient can change it back to .ZIP and extract.

Edit:  On the internet, things move fast.  

Oh, and I hate the gmail interface.  Outlook es muy bueno.
View Quote

yeah that's what I use to have to do when sending .exe files etc.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SbA8pSv.gif

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

End user problems predate Win8.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I could re-write the OP more accurately as:

"Why do e-mail server and security admins have and follow best practices? I want to do stupid stuff and they won't let me!"
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"Why do e-mail server and security admins have and follow best practices? I want to do stupid stuff and they won't let me!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you can override the security by just changing the file extension, is it really worth the hassle?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When you can override the security by just changing the file extension, is it really worth the hassle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Properly configured you would have to *want* to over-ride the security and commit and overt and intentional act to do so. The act alone would be enough for termination or, in some cases, prosecution. Further, properly configured best practices won't allow your intentional circumvention to actually damage the framework and infrastructure.

If I'm a trusted party on a network I *can* do a lot of things to hurt it if I'm acting intentionally. Most security practices aren't built to answer those kinds of threats.

No network can remain usable and impervious to a determined attacker. Period.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/SbA8pSv.gif

Okay, that was funny.

I'm a tard. Lets forget this was even asked.

-Renaming the .zip worked.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted to preserve the DERP for future ridicule.

This has nothing to do with the client application you're using and everything to do with the messaging rules on the receiving server.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our filter is smarter than that as it scans attachments and doesn't just look at the extension.

We can receive zips, but they must have a password to get through the mail server.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Our filter is smarter than that as it scans attachments and doesn't just look at the extension.

We can receive zips, but they must have a password to get through the mail server.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. A compiled .exe zipped and renamed will get the boot. A zip without encryption will as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top